Zzyzx musing about debate

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Zzyzx musing about debate

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

In these debates it does not matter who you are, what you have done, where you have been or what degrees or credentials you posses. We are all just anonymous people on the Internet. What matters most of all here is the credibility and respect we earn with readers and with fellow debaters. Readers far outnumber posters – and are more likely to be open to incorporate into their own thinking and decisions anything they value of what is presented

Some sure ways for anyone to lose credibility and respect:

Pretend knowledge that you (generic term) do not possess
Overestimate your ability
Overestimate the strength of your debate position or your arguments
Underestimate opponents
Fail to accurately learn or understand opponents' debate position
Display a superiority delusion
Make personal comments or personal attacks rather than debating ideas
Demean opponents
Make false accusations
Make claims and statements that cannot be supported and fail to support them when challenged
Employ disreputable debate tactics (including evasion and diversion)
Focus on winning debates rather than debating honorably
Make excuses or blame others for lack of success
Fail to recognize that the most important people in these debates are the readers
Underestimate readers' ability to evaluate what is presented and to recognize tricks and tactics
Declare victory for yourself

Many debaters seem to think that a broadsword is the ideal weapon in a duel. However, a rapier is much lighter and faster – as they discover when bleeding from multiple wounds while swinging wildly and ineffectively with their big sword. Those who think that being angry and hostile makes an effective warrior fall easy victim to those who battle unemotionally and intelligently.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #2

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From the OP:
In these debates it does not matter who you are, what you have done
Incorrect. If you're the man that met the man that met Andy Griffith, well there ya go.
where you have been
I've been in bed with a pretty girl, and we was both of us naked there, me and that pretty girl, at the same time. And we did stuff. Stuff ya can't tell her Daddy ya did. Your argument is invalid.
or what degrees or credentials you posses
I stand upright, at a 90 degree angle to the earth, 'cept when I don't, which is the more of the often. My dental records are none of your business.
We are all just anonymous people on the Internet.
Only those we don't know are anonymous. I 'pologize for not having something better.
What matters most of all here is the credibility and respect we earn with readers and with fellow debaters.
I know for a fact I deserve respect - I've been told I look like Brad Pitt's dog.
Readers far outnumber posters – and are more likely to be open to incorporate into their own thinking and decisions anything they value of what is presented
Now I think about all those times I did me a stupid, and hang my head and cry.
Some sure ways for anyone to lose credibility and respect:
Be a doofus. I say that with some understanding of how much I suffer me so much of it.
Many debaters seem to think that a broadsword is the ideal weapon in a duel. However, a rapier is much lighter and faster – as they discover when bleeding from multiple wounds while swinging wildly and ineffectively with their big sword.
Zzyzx. Only you can do what it is you do. And do it, you do so well, what it is you do.
Those who think that being angry and hostile makes an effective warrior fall easy victim to those who battle unemotionally and intelligently.
With some sense of shamed hubris, I'm taking that as a direct commentary on my own. It seems I can only dream of the day when my ego / personality / whatever has me becoming a poster of such magnitude.

I struggle to believe that one of such obviously high intelligence would tell- nay, show the whole world that there he sits, he sits there, and the zombie apocalypse be danged. I mean, yeah, we don't believe the zombies are coming there to eat our brains, but what kind of man shows he's got him a big ol' brain if they do?
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Zzyzx »

A few additional thoughts (that may overlap previous somewhat)

Don't assume that someone is a simpleton because they refuse to adopt your theistic position.

Don't assume that you are more intelligent or better informed than your opponent.

Don't assume that Non-Christians are ignorant of the bible and beliefs OR that Christians are informed. Either one may be false.

Don't assume that one's religious belief (or non-belief) makes them superior in any way.

Don't assume that schooling and degrees are indication of knowledge or that knowledge in one area insures knowledge in other areas.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #4

Post by DanieltheDragon »

[Replying to post 3 by Zzyzx]

Don't assume you know what your opponents thoughts and feelings are.

Don't assume you know personal details of your opponent

uhmm yeah you pretty much covered everything

especially

THIS

DONT DECLARE YOURSELF VICTOR