Jesus resurrection

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

Jesus resurrection

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

I try to keep an open mind about the possibility of Jesus resurrection, and am somewhat agnostic on the matter.

But even if he is risen, what actually does that prove?

Does it prove that he is God? Or was it God who did the raising?

Does it vindicate his mission, a triumph over death and the powers of evil that condemned him to death?

It would be different if Jesus raised himself, but I'm pretty sure the Bible indicates in a variety of ways that God did the raising.

What do you think?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Re: Jesus resurrection

Post #2

Post by Zzyzx »

Elijah John wrote: I try to keep an open mind about the possibility of Jesus resurrection, and am somewhat agnostic on the matter.
Although I am not as open minded on the matter as you, I am wiling to consider the possibility that such a thing actually, literally occurred provided evidence is presented to verify stories in religious literature (the only place the event is known to have been recorded).
Elijah John wrote: But even if he is risen, what actually does that prove?
IF the resurrection actually happened, two possibilities occur to me. 1) the death was not an actual human death, 2) something supernatural happened.
Elijah John wrote: Does it prove that he is God? Or was it God who did the raising?
Writers of the stories encourage people to believe that the raising occurred – and let them argue about who was responsible.
Elijah John wrote: Does it vindicate his mission, a triumph over death and the powers of evil that condemned him to death?
It is often cited as proof of divinity. Whether it is or not may be open to debate.
Elijah John wrote: It would be different if Jesus raised himself, but I'm pretty sure the Bible indicates in a variety of ways that God did the raising.
If Jesus and god are claimed to be "one" the issue is a bit confusing (at best).
Elijah John wrote: What do you think?
I think that it is most likely that Jesus died and stayed dead – but his followers claimed that he came back to life.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Jashwell
Guru

Post #3

Post by Jashwell »

Elijah John wrote: I try to keep an open mind about the possibility of Jesus resurrection, and am somewhat agnostic on the matter.

That he came back to life. Nothing more.
No and no.
Does it vindicate his mission, a triumph over death and the powers of evil that condemned him to death?
Vindicate to them? Depends what they think.

connermt
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by connermt »

[Replying to post 1 by Elijah John]
That The Walking Dead is more accurate than we thought
Not in the least
Depend on who is asked I suppose. As well as what his mission was, and how that's verified. Many thing he was nothing more than a political trouble maker. Maybe his mission was nothing more than to cause political chaos?
What do you think?
The bible has its good and bad parts. It's nothing about real supernatural events or beings. At the most, it's a mis-identified record of things that may, or may not have, happened.

charlo921
Student

Post #5

Post by charlo921 »

[Replying to post 1 by Elijah John]

Jesus was God made flesh

dianaiad
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by dianaiad »

charlo921 wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Elijah John]

Jesus was God made flesh
Moderator Comment

Welcome to the forum, charlo921. It would be a good idea for you to read the Rules, including those that deal with one line comments such as this one. Please expand your thoughts; support your claim, and it would be very helpful to quote the portion of the post to which you are responding so that the readers can keep up.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

Savant

Post #7

Post by 1213 »

Elijah John wrote: Does it prove that he is God? Or was it God who did the raising?
God raised him up the third day, and gave him to be revealed,
Acts 10:40

I think it was especially for his disciples as sign that his words were the truth. And that gave his disciples the power to carry on and spread the Gospel. If that would not have happened his disciples would not probably have had the courage and spirit to continue.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #8

Post by Elijah John »

1213 wrote:

I think it was especially for his disciples as sign that his words were the truth. And that gave his disciples the power to carry on and spread the Gospel. If that would not have happened his disciples would not probably have had the courage and spirit to continue.
I agree with you that if Jesus DID rise, he did not raise himself but was raised by God the Father.

And I think that is a valid purpose you cite there, for the benefit of his disciples, among other reasons.

But I do not think in any way it proves Jesus was Divine, as he did not just rouse himself as one rouses oneself out of sleep when one gets up in the morning.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

dalekidd1956
Student

Post #9

Post by dalekidd1956 »

It would be different if Jesus raised himself, but I'm pretty sure the Bible indicates in a variety of ways that God did the raising.
The resurrection of Jesus was the heart and soul of early Christianity. It was the focal point of their message from the outset. Without it, I do not believe there would have been any "Christianity", at least not as we know it.

They saw it as proof of his deity. And declared to be the Son of God with power, according to the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead. Rom 1:4.

They did see it as vindication of his mission. Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know: Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain: Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it. Acts 2:22-24

They saw it as vindication of his triumph. And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it. Col 2:15. The antecedent of "it" is the cross in verse 14 but the cross is certainly not a symbol of victory apart from the resurrection which is mentioned in verse 12.

The Bible usually says that it was God who raised Jesus, but then in John 10:17-18 Jesus said, Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again. No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. If you believe in the deity of Jesus, there is no conflict.
What do you think?
I believe all of the above. After all, what good would a dead Messiah do anyone?

Ooberman
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by Ooberman »

1213 wrote:

These don't follow.

First.

1. "Jesus did not rise from the dead." Now I have a quote, too!

Do you believe it because I quoted it?

2. We don't know what happened. Claiming something happened to his disciples is like saying Coke is better than Pepsi because Coke spokespeople say so.

3. People have had the courage and spirit to do all kinds of things, like fly planes into buildings. That doesn't say anything about whether God had them do it or not.
Thinking about God's opinions and thinking about your own opinions uses an identical thought process. - Tomas Rees