Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

connermt
Banned
Banned

Hell

Post #1

Post by connermt »

Before you were a christian, did you deserve to go to hell?
Why or why not?
What did you do to become deserved of hell?
If you didn't deserve hell, why did you become a christian?

Did you child ever deserve hell? Do they now?

Do I deserve hell? If so, what did I do to deserve it? If not, why not?

Elijah John
Savant

Re: Hell

Post #2

Post by Elijah John »

[Replying to post 1 by connermt]

I think that is one of the most disgusting and offensive things about Fundamentalism, that they believe EVERYONE deserves to be tortured eternally in Hell, UNLESS they believe certain doctrines ABOUT Jesus and his crucifixion, namely the ones they (the Fundamentalists) believe.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by ttruscott »

Elijah John wrote: [Replying to post 1 by connermt]

I think that is one of the most disgusting and offensive things about Fundamentalism, that they believe EVERYONE deserves to be tortured eternally in Hell, UNLESS they believe certain doctrines ABOUT Jesus and his crucifixion, namely the ones they (the Fundamentalists) believe.
Do you think that the only thing that stops your post from being a blanket statement is that I consider myself fairly fundamentalist yet I do not believe this?

I contend that there are two groups of sinners on earth; those who can be saved called the good seed and those who cannot be saved called the tares.

Wheat are not reborn tares. Sheep are not reborn goats.

Peace, Ted
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

Joab
Under Probation

Post #4

Post by Joab »

ttruscott wrote:
Elijah John wrote: [Replying to post 1 by connermt]

Do you think that the only thing that stops your post from being a blanket statement is that I consider myself fairly fundamentalist yet I do not believe this?

I contend that there are two groups of sinners on earth; those who can be saved called the good seed and those who cannot be saved called the tares.

Peace, Ted
So what will you say when god says sorry ted you are one of the tares, all of that palaver you pulled on earth doesn't make you wheat?

but, but, but, but.

It was all decided PC, nothing you did on earth can change that.
What the world needs now
Is love sweet love
It's the only thing
That there's just to little of.
No not just for some
But for everyone

Jackie Deshannon

Elijah John
Savant

Post #5

Post by Elijah John »

[Replying to post 3 by ttruscott]

Ted, that is why I used the word "Fundamentalism" (which indicates a mind-set) instead of Fundamental-IST (Which indicates a person) You seem to be a civil and refreshing exception.

But I gotta say, I am confused about exactly where you are coming from, because most Christians, (except for Mormons) do not seem to believe in a pre-existance for humans, yet you seem to refer to one, quite often.

Have I asked you about this before? If so, forgive me because I do not remember the answer. If you like, PM me, or please answer here, either way.

---

update, I retract the question Ted, as I just saw your reply in another thread. Don't mean to be a pest. If you like, as I suggested in that other thread, I'd be interested in the answer in the "ask a member a question" forum.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Haven
Guru

Post #6

Post by Haven »

No one deserves to be tortured eternally. Any action, no matter how heinous or undesirable, is finite, and so assigning infinite punishment for it would be fundamentally unjust.
♥ Haven (she/her) ♥
♥ Kindness is the greatest adventure ♥

connermt
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by connermt »

[Replying to post 3 by ttruscott]
I don't consider you a christian. Is that anit-blanket enough for ya'?
Talk about a blanket statement. Which one are you?
"Sheep go to heaven; goats go to hell" - Cake

connermt
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by connermt »

Haven wrote: No one deserves to be tortured eternally. Any action, no matter how heinous or undesirable, is finite, and so assigning infinite punishment for it would be fundamentally unjust.
An important distinction to make. I wonder why a perfect deity couldn't have made the same distinction...? :-k

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by ttruscott »

Haven wrote: No one deserves to be tortured eternally. Any action, no matter how heinous or undesirable, is finite, and so assigning infinite punishment for it would be fundamentally unjust.
What would you do with someone who has self created themselves by their own choice to be a demon? We have no need to talk about really demonology here but only the idea - is an eternally psychopathic criminal with demon powers just to be ignored?

This self creation as an eternal demon is the one act I think is worthy of being banished from all reality where everyone else lives for eternity...and if that causes suffering, <shrug>...there is nothing else to do.

IF they were not eternally demonic, I contend there would be no need for hell so hell implies both the eternal nature of their existence and the eternal nature of their evil. You probably will think of other contingencies also...

peace, Ted
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

Savant

Post #10

Post by 1213 »

connermt wrote: Before you were a christian, did you deserve to go to hell?
Person doesn’t have to do anything to have hell. But to get eternal life, person should be righteous, have right understanding and state of mind.

I don’t deserve heaven, because I don’t think I have done anything to deserve it. The opposite of heaven comes for free, person don’t have to do anything for it.

I think all good things should be done, because it is right, not because person could deserve something. And I think the same is with hell. If you think you could avoid hell by doing something or by not doing something, then you probably are not righteous and you don’t get eternal life.

God’s will should be done because love of God and because person understands it is good and right.