Do posts on this forum cause people..

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

WinePusher

Do posts on this forum cause people..

Post #1

Post by WinePusher »

Do posts on this forum cause people to get angry? If you do get angry at the posts of someone over the internet, doesn't this just show that you're a little to obsessed with the forum and need to take a break?

Personally speaking, I don't think I've ever gotten angry at someone on here and if I ever did I'd probably delete my account because it would expose several shortcomings about myself. What causes people to get angry at stuff on the internet? Have you ever gotten angry at something someone wrote on this forum? If so, can you please explain your reasoning and thought process?

If you get angry at someone, doesn't it just show that they have the power to affect your emotions and the way you feel?

Cephus
Prodigy

Post #2

Post by Cephus »

It doesn't cause me to get angry but certainly it does affect a lot of people, otherwise there wouldn't be so many people getting suspended and banished. At best, I get frustrated at people who are incapable of stepping back and evaluating their beliefs rationally, but those people are generally not worth engaging to begin with.
Want to hear more? Check out my blog!
Watch my YouTube channel!
There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by ttruscott »

I don't get angry but I get miffed when insulted. The 13 people I have on ignore I put there because of repeated insulting attitude. since then 5 are banned and 2 are on probation and 2 of the remainder have not been heard of for over a year.

7 of 13 in chronic conflict...

:)

Peace, Ted
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

Inigo Montoya
Guru

Post #4

Post by Inigo Montoya »

This thread exists on account of the following token donation comment I made on an earlier topic. This is the comment.
Inigo Montoya wrote:
Screw it, I'll say it. He's a pretentious ass-clown long overdue a blistering spanking. Good for you.
As I didn't know until yesterday that messages accompanying the donations were made public, I do in fact owe WinePusher an apology. In light of it now appearing as though I was talking about you, WinePusher, as if you weren't present in the room (since it's a publicly viewable comment) let me reword it to correct that oversight.

I find you, WinePusher, to be a pretentious ass-clown long overdue a blistering spanking.

You may abide by that old maxim about not saying anything if you can't say it directly to a person. This is as close as we can get, I think, being online and all.

In your private message to me, you ask why I'd let myself get angry over something written on the internet. Please re-read the comment that sparked this thread and maybe you can see now that it wasn't made in anger. It was a digital and virtual high-five to the poster that I felt quickly dealt with your atheist-defining ''arguments.''

In your PM you also ask me to address the following: '' If you get angry at someone, doesn't it just show that they have the power to affect your emotions and the way you feel?''

Again, I was celebrating what I thought was a scathing retort to your tirade on definitions that best suited your cause while ignoring others. As to what it means for a person to get angry, I wouldn't know in this particular case, as I wasn't angry, but in general I would agree that yes, when a person gets angry it probably does say something about other people having the ability to affect them....

Not sure what epiphany was hidden in there.

As far as the comment itself goes that prompted this thread, you imply a curiosity about where it comes from. So I don't ''get another moderator sanction,'' I'd justify my own commentary by saying the topic ''If These Threads Were Required Reading'' is the chain of posts by you that really formed the basis for my opinion of your online persona.

There's no law that says we have to like each other, and who knows, maybe you're a bit more palatable in person over some beers. Point being, I shouldn't have spoken about you like you weren't in the room. I trust that's been corrected now.

Cheers.

bluethread
Savant

Post #5

Post by bluethread »

Inigo Montoya wrote:
I find you, . . .
This probably will earn you a sanction. Let me say, for myself, such statements are not productive, because they do not address the problem. The character of the poster is only relevant to the extent that it is taken into consideration when composing ones response to the comment. It is a waste of space to include ones evaluation of another's character in the post. Now, if one were to point to a pretentious statement, that would be constructive, because it would help others to understand what it is specifically that you find pretentious. Second, use of epithets are counter productive, because they are generally ill defined. There are no specific actions or comments that are associated with an a-clown that can help with understanding, as there are with say a tinker's dam, which is an analogy I have used lately. Third, corporal punishment is usually handed out based on one's actions, not one's character. It has been said, "You can crush a fool in a mortar with a pestle, along with the grain being crushed; yet his foolishness will not leave him."

So, I find, that if I find something offensive, the most productive approach is to address the statement, use clearly defined terms and punish the actions, not the person. In this way, whether you are correct or not in your judgement, you have provided useful information to your audience.

Inigo Montoya
Guru

Post #6

Post by Inigo Montoya »

That's interesting, blue. And noted. My post has nothing to do with any of you though. I owed WP an explanation and apology. How I choose to go about it is my affair, and if the mods see fit to take action, well that's my choice to risk it.

I daresay few readers would struggle to understand my disdain for the OP's generally grandiose writings, even if I fail to link or cite them..

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #7

Post by DanieltheDragon »

I am sorry you feel that way IM but your comments do not conduce a civil debate atmosphere even if you were high fiving. While I find Winepusher to be stubborn in his argument in not recognizing the other dictionaries that define atheism in a myriad of ways. He still must be treated with respect. We must all treat each other with respect. I don't care if your an atheist agnostic christian or muslim respect must be given for civil debate.

I regret to see you take this tac and position.

your apology appears to just be an insult and doubling down on name calling insults not just wine pusher but the dignity of this site and debate.

dianaiad
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by dianaiad »

Inigo Montoya wrote: This thread exists on account of the following token donation comment I made on an earlier topic. This is the comment.
Inigo Montoya wrote:
Screw it, I'll say it. He's a pretentious ass-clown long overdue a blistering spanking. Good for you.
As I didn't know until yesterday that messages accompanying the donations were made public, I do in fact owe WinePusher an apology. In light of it now appearing as though I was talking about you, WinePusher, as if you weren't present in the room (since it's a publicly viewable comment) let me reword it to correct that oversight.

I find you, WinePusher, to be a pretentious ass-clown long overdue a blistering spanking.

:warning: Moderator Warning

The above isn't any more appropriate in General Chat than it was in the MBG thread. It's personal, it's insulting, and it is unnecessary. Do NOT make personal comments about other posters. Address his points, not his personality: his comments, not his character.

Read the Rules. Really. Read them.

We mean them.

Please review our Rules.

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

Haven
Guru

Post #9

Post by Haven »

There are very, very few things in life that cause me to get angry. Gross injustice, child or animal abuse, bigotry, and senseless violence are these things. Posts on an internet forum certainly aren't worth my anger.
♥ Haven (she/her) ♥
♥ Kindness is the greatest adventure ♥

help3434
Guru

Post #10

Post by help3434 »

[Replying to post 9 by Haven]

Of course posts on the internet can be about those things. You don't get angry when someone makes a bigoted comment?