Hello, Everyone

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

DLH

Hello, Everyone

Post #1

Post by DLH »

Hello everyone, I'm new here and so thought I would give you all the benefit of a heads up regarding my beliefs. It really is simple, I believe in the Bible without the pagan influence that has infiltrated the majority of Christianity over the last couple thousand years.

For example, the immortal soul from Socrates and Plato, the trinity from Plato, the cross from Constantine, hell from Dante and Milton, Christmas from Dickens and of course, earlier, the winter solstice celebrations, Easter from Astarte, and more recently, the Rapture from Darby.

I personally think that organized religion tends to distort any original teachings. Taoism and Christianity being the most obvious examples.

I have only a brief knowledge of the histories of the primary religions; Buddhism, Christianity, Confucianism, Hinduism, Islam, Judaism, Shintoism, and Taoism.

I have published, proofread and edited copies of The Dhammapada, Four Noble Truths, Gospel Of Buddha, Analects Of Confucius, Works Of Mencius, Rig-Veda, Bhagavad Gita, Qur'an, Pirqe Aboth, Kojiki, Nihongi, Tao Te Ching and Chuang Tzu, but my favorite is the Bible.

Though I've never been a part of any organized religion my beliefs are very similar, though not exactly the same as the Jehovah's Witnesses, since they are the only form of Christianity that I know of that have removed the pagan influence.

Edit: And as it turns out, I see I have actually already posted at this forum using my real name, David Henson

My apologies. Delete this account, if you wish.

Divine Insight
Savant

Re: Hello, Everyone

Post #2

Post by Divine Insight »

DLH wrote: Though I've never been a part of any organized religion my beliefs are very similar, though not exactly the same as the Jehovah's Witnesses, since they are the only form of Christianity that I know of that have removed the pagan influence.
They have removed pagan influences?

Do you mean that they have abandoned the demigod Jesus myth of a Son of God having been born of a mortal woman?

The last I heard Jehovah's Witnesses believe Jesus is the only begotten Son of God. But clearly the demigod myths have been used by many so-called "Pagan" regions long before the Jesus myth was ever written.

And by the way the very term Pagan is used by Chrisitans to refer to any religion that doesn't believe as they believe. In other words from a Christian perspective all Pagan means to them is "My God myth is true and yours isn't".

In fact, for Jehovah's Witnesses to claim that only their form of "Christianity" has removed all "Pagan influences" is to do nothing more than accuse all other sects and denominations of Christianity as being "Pagans".

Christianity itself is a religion that arrogantly demands that only it's jealous God is valid. And apparently Jehovah Witnesses are nothing more than the epitome of that mentality in proclaiming that they are the only "Christians" who "Got it right".

But don't ALL denominations of Christianity make that same claim? :-k

If all that Pagan means is "Your beliefs aren't valid", then Jehovah Witnesses must be seen as "Pagans" by Catholicism, for example.

All Jehovah's Witnesses amount to is yet another finger in a vast religion that does nothing other than point fingers at each other proclaiming, "You're Wrong!" :roll:
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

David Henson
Apprentice

Post #3

Post by David Henson »

Divine Insight wrote:
They have removed pagan influences?
Well, consider the baptism. A public declaration. Pagan in origin, but used by Christ as a public declaration. I think the term pagan or it's equivalent came from the Roman army. Those inside the cities and towns were easily united and informed but those outside of those places were not. A similar modern expression would be "backwoods" for example.

Wind chimes are pagan in origin. Tombstones, wedding rings. Nothing wrong with those things as long as they are not incorporated into worship that conflicts with the worship of Jehovah.

The immortal soul, for example, began to influence Jewish thinking after the conquest of Alexander the Great. From Greek philosophers such as Socrates and Plato. The Bible teaches the soul is mortal. (Ezekiel 18:4)
Do you mean that they have abandoned the demigod Jesus myth of a Son of God having been born of a mortal woman?
Comparisons of the immaculate conception to pagan mythology are extremely poor academic excursions.
The last I heard Jehovah's Witnesses believe Jesus is the only begotten Son of God. But clearly the demigod myths have been used by many so-called "Pagan" regions long before the Jesus myth was ever written.
Such as? Keeping the aforementioned excursions in mind.
And by the way the very term Pagan is used by Chrisitans to refer to any religion that doesn't believe as they believe. In other words from a Christian perspective all Pagan means to them is "My God myth is true and yours isn't".
Yeah, it can, any thinking outside of any other, in a basic sense. You would hardly expect them to take up the contrary meaning. "My God isn't true and yours is."
In fact, for Jehovah's Witnesses to claim that only their form of "Christianity" has removed all "Pagan influences" is to do nothing more than accuse all other sects and denominations of Christianity as being "Pagans".
That wouldn't be necessary. Hell, the cross, immortal soul, Christmas, Easter, the trinity - are all pretty well documented. One would have to look no further than a Catholic encyclopedia.
Christianity itself is a religion that arrogantly demands that only it's jealous God is valid. And apparently Jehovah Witnesses are nothing more than the epitome of that mentality in proclaiming that they are the only "Christians" who "Got it right".
Okay. Well, I'm like them in that regard. Actually, given your testimony regarding the matter, are you not doing the same? Or do you think that, when it comes to your beliefs or lack thereof, in God you got it wrong?

otseng
Savant

Post #4

Post by otseng »

[Replying to DLH]

Welcome to the forum!

I'll deactivate the DLH account.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #5

Post by OnceConvinced »

Welcome David. You are in good company here as there are many other Christians too, who have abandoned mainstream Christianity. This forum welcomes everyone and allows everyone to give their views.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World