None good but God

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

None good but God

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Matthew 19:16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?

17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

Question: If there are none good but God how can a not good being pay for my sins?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

tam
Savant

Re: None good but God

Post #161

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
Wootah wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:14 pm
tam wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:27 pm Peace to you,

The Son of God is worth more than a fig leaf. The Son of God is worth more than a million/billion dollars. The Son of God is worth more than any of us (or creation) - and that means He is certainly worth more than our sins.

Christ paid for our sins - it doesn't matter who you believe those sins are against, Christ paid for our sins, period.

He doesn't have to be God (the MOST Holy One of Israel) to have done this.

He is the LIFE, and He is greater than all of us (and our sins.) He gave HIS life for our lives. LIFE for life.

Peace again to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ Jaheshua,
tammy
Yes but compared to God the Son of man is a fig leaf (unless he is God). That's the point. Do you mentally, rationally understand that?
Where are you getting these things from? God loves His Son enough to have created all things FOR His Son. God loves His Son enough to put Him in charge of ALL His (God's) belongings. Why would you go beyond that?

God is the MOST Holy One and the Son (Christ) is the HOLY One (of God).

If you wanted to be more accurate though, the Son is not a mere fig leaf. He is the actual TREE of LIFE.
edit: Even if the Son of man is worth more than our sins, the sins are against God.

If you hit a person on the street you might get a fine, if you hit a police officer you might go to jail, if you hit a politician or a judge or the president the length of punishment changes. The sin is the same. Who it is against changes the penalty and the payment.
I am not sure that is correct (in this world, the crime might be different, therefore, the penalty and payment might be different - and if you hit a person on the street, that is assault and you can go to jail.)

Even so, the wage of sin (period) is death. There isn't a different wage for different kinds of sin; the wage of sin is death.

^ Do you mentally, rationally understand that? (<- honestly not a jab I am just trying to reach you.)
This is not a jab at you either, but I don't see a basis for your claim. It just sounds to me like something man has come up with on his own - as man often does (with the result of making things harder.)

Can you provide something from Christ that states what you are claiming? Or even something from the bible?

For instance, in Hebrews, I know that the author mentions that the blood of bulls and goats does not take away sins. But the author does not claim this is because bulls and goats are not God. In the same way, nowhere does the author claim that the blood of Christ is good enough only because Christ is God Himself.

Peace again to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy
- Non-religious Christian spirituality

- For Christ (who is the Spirit)

Wootah
Savant

Post #162

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to tam in post #161]

It comes from rational thought.

Would you accept a fig leaf as payment for a debt of $1,000,000.?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

onewithhim
Savant

Post #163

Post by onewithhim »

Wootah wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:22 pm
onewithhim wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:22 am
Wootah wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:28 pm [Replying to onewithhim in post #155]

I think in Christ we are to be wise and know good and evil. Forcing yourself to be illogical to maintain your beliefs is not wise.
I am not "forcing myself" to illogically maintain my beliefs. I have concluded, for many years, after studying and scrutinizing, that my viewpoint is the most logical. I view your take on things as illogical. Would you take a minute to post something you think is illogical about what I believe? I can't think of anything that you might think about that.
I would accept the fig leaf if someone I loved and trusted told me to do so.
^ You would take a fig leaf for a million dollars if someone told you they loved you and you believed them. That is irrational and probably abuse. No one who loved you would do that to you.
No, I said that I would take a fig leaf if I loved them and trusted them. That's a far cry from taking the fig leaf because someone told me they loved me.

tam
Savant

Post #164

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
Wootah wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:39 am [Replying to tam in post #161]

It comes from rational thought.
But based on assumptions. Is it rational to base a belief on something that Christ - the TRUTH - never taught?
Would you accept a fig leaf as payment for a debt of $1,000,000.?
First - what you are claiming to be a fig leaf is actually worth far more than a million dollars. The Tree of LIFE is worth far more than a million dollars (and as I think we have agreed, worth far more than all of us as well).

Second - we have not paid our debt, period. We are being offered (and granted if we receive it) eternal life for FREE. We did not pay the debt to free us from sin and Death. Either God paid it Himself (as you somewhat believe) or God sent HIS SON as a ransom sacrifice for us (and that Son volunteered out of love for His Father and for us). Either way, we did not pay what we owe - it was paid FOR us.

So yeah... I should accept a fig leaf in payment for a million dollar debt - or even better, I should forgive the debt - because MY debt has been forgiven. I did not pay my debt. Like the parable of the master and the servant. The master forgave a HUGE debt from his servant, and that servant should have done the same for a fellow servant who owed him a debt - but the master's servant refused to forgive that smaller debt of his fellow servant. (when the master found out, he took back the debt forgiveness and his servant had to pay the debt back in full.)

That is about love. God forgives us not because we have paid what we owe (we have not) - but because His Son (who paid our debt, who gave His life for us) intercedes on our behalf as our High Priest and Mediator. The Father loves the Son - and if the Son asks that we be forgiven, the Father does so. Not because WE deserve it. But because His SON deserves to receive what He has asked for. And it all begets love. Love from the Father to the Son and the Son to the Father. Love from them for us and love from us in return.

Did Christ not say, "He who is forgiven much, loves much"?

"Therefore I tell you, because her many sins have been forgiven, she has loved much. But he who has been forgiven little loves little.” Luke 7:47

Peace again to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy

Wootah
Savant

Post #165

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to onewithhim in post #163]

It's still delusional in a literal sense.

Wootah
Savant

Post #166

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to tam in post #164]

OK ... take religion out of it.

Would you accept $1 for a debt of $1,000,000? No considerations allowed. Would you rationally do it?

tam
Savant

Post #167

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
Wootah wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:53 pm [Replying to tam in post #164]

OK ... take religion out of it.
Religion is not in it to begin with for me. But if you are asking me to take faith out of it, then what is the point of this thread or this question? If it is just based on what you (or I) think and want... who cares? I don't mean any offense, but who cares? Who are you? Who am I? Who cares what we think or want? What matters is what is TRUE. Doesn't it?

Would you accept $1 for a debt of $1,000,000? No considerations allowed. Would you rationally do it?
It would depend on the situation (and if I loved the person.) But in a simple straightforward scenario, if someone owed me a million dollars - and there is no faith involved in this scenario at all - and they could afford to pay me a million dollars, I would not accept a single dollar instead of a million.

Now why does that matter?

Peace again to you.

Wootah
Savant

Post #168

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to tam in post #167]

God is rational. That's why it matters.

How can you be trusted in big things if you cannot manage small things?

onewithhim
Savant

Post #169

Post by onewithhim »

Wootah wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 2:53 am [Replying to tam in post #167]

You miss the whole point of what tam and I have said. I have said that I would accept the fig leaf if I trusted and respected the person who offered it. As tam said, there are things worth more than a million dollars.

tam
Savant

Post #170

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
Wootah wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 2:53 am [Replying to tam in post #167]

Oh no. No no no. You said take 'religion' off the table.

If I have to do so, then so do you.

If religion (or rather faith for me) is back on the table, then perhaps you could address the content in my previous posts.

What small thing are you referring to, Wootah?

Peace again to you.