Why????

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

POI
Prodigy

Why????

Post #1

Post by POI »

If a God exists, and this God wants us to know He really exists, and also wants us to know what He wants, then why doesn't He just tell us Himself? If the Christian God is true, He is either pleased, or at least content, with the publication of the Bible.

Many will argue the Bible is not inerrant. Many may also argue context, when reading. Others might argue it is literal, and the perfect word of God. How do we really know what Jesus did and did not say, being He bothered not to write/preserve any of it Himself? Etc... Regardless of one's position on the matter, I have to ask, why??? Meaning.....

For Debate:

1. Why didn't God/Jesus write the final canon Himself, and also preserve it in a way for which it could not later be completely corrupted?
2. How could we know it was from an actual divine source, you ask? Well, it could have been written/preserved in a way in which humans could not do at the time, or even now. Thus, at best, I guess skeptics could still argue it came from aliens/other. But certainly not from earthly men ALONE :)
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Re: Why????

Post #2

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Free will, and God does not wants robots.

It is essential...Essential...that God does not reveal himself or His Word so reliably and undeniably that people cannot doubt and question (even though Christian apologetics claims that the evidence is plain and only the choice to be anti God can explain why some choose not to believe). Of course this just looks to we Goddless Unbelievers like excuses as to why things are like This when by all reason, they ought to be like That.

Why? "God has his reasons; God knows best; it makes sense to God if not to us". That's the bottom line and go -to excuse and all that we can do is buy it or not,

Miles
Savant

Post #3

Post by Miles »

POI wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:03 pm If a God exists, and this God wants us to know He really exists, and also wants us to know what He wants, then why doesn't He just tell us Himself? If the Christian God is true, He is either pleased, or at least content, with the publication of the Bible.

Many will argue the Bible is not inerrant. Many may also argue context, when reading. Others might argue it is literal, and the perfect word of God. How do we really know what Jesus did and did not say, being He bothered not to write/preserve any of it Himself? Etc... Regardless of one's position on the matter, I have to ask, why??? Meaning.....

For Debate:

1. Why didn't God/Jesus write the final canon Himself, and also preserve it in a way for which it could not later be completely corrupted?
Perhaps he did and one of the councils; the Council of Rome, the Council of Hippo, the Council of Carthage, the Council of Nicea, or the Council of Trent decided to exclude it. As I understand the voting (which books got to stay and which were excluded) politics played a significant role in the outcomes.

2. How could we know it was from an actual divine source, you ask?
Lacking access to the divine or any part of the supernatural we couldn't.

Savant

Post #4

Post by 1213 »

POI wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:03 pm ...
2. How could we know it was from an actual divine source, you ask? Well, it could have been written/preserved in a way in which humans could not do at the time, or even now. Thus, at best, I guess skeptics could still argue it came from aliens/other. But certainly not from earthly men ALONE :)
Why think Bible is completely corrupt? How would you prove it is so?

I think people are too evil and stupid to make a books as good as the Bible. That is why I believe God influenced in its writing. If it would be just from humans, atheists would not have so great troubles to understand it without "contradictions".

But, I don't think we would know in any case, we just believe. Even if God would say everything directly to you, it would still depend on do you believe or not. However, I think the main thing in the Bible is not to believe, but to understand. For example things like "don't murder" don't really require believing, they require that you understand that it is wrong to murder.

Believing that God is real is not useful, if you are evil and want to do bad things. And if you have right understanding of what is good and right and want to do right, doubt in God's existence is not a problem. That is why I think there is really no reason to convince you that God is real.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #5

Post by TRANSPONDER »

[Replying to 1213 in post #4]

Well, there we go. I would have thought that the sensible thing to do in view of the flawed, wicked and corrupt men, was to ensure that his Word and story and case was so good that we would indeed be Without Excuse, and not have to rely on a misunderstanding of evolutionary physics in order to make a case for a god (never mind which one).

No, the state of the game says that the world makes more sense if there is no God, therefore God had not done a good job of showing that he is real.

Why? Faith is what matters and (Doctrinally and Dogmatically, no matter how the apologists try to make the case out of something else, Faith is what it is all about and always was.

As I said, above: "God has his reasons; God knows best; it makes sense to God if not to us". That's the bottom line and go -to excuse and all that we can do is buy it or not,

Diogenes
Guru

Post #6

Post by Diogenes »

[Replying to TRANSPONDER in post #5]
I've asked these questions and similar ones since I was a child. It would obviously be easy for God, or even a very powerful space alien to prove He exists. That was part of the point of "An alien with Vast Powers and Intelligence came to Earth."
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=39661

From the religious you generally get some weak rebuttal about 'faith,' that God does not want people to know for certain, that they should love him based on faith. This of course is utter nonsense and many passages in the Bible, including references from Paul, argue the exact opposite, claiming that God does reveal himself unequivocally.

Thus horrible arguments come from religionists and from their scriptures AND those arguments contradict each other. I frequently wonder how anyone can take this stuff seriously, let alone a multitude of believers.

Before You Embark On A Journey Of Revenge, Dig Two Graves

— Confucius

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #7

Post by TRANSPONDER »

[Replying to Diogenes in post #6]

I am sure it is Faith. I am as fascinated by the phenomenon and mechanism and purpose of Faith as I am by the faithbased methods of theist argument. I see Faith as an evolutionary survival mechanism, and can even guess at why we have it.

But as I said to a couple of posters on my former board, the instinct to godfaith does not have to be one for revealing truth rather than enabling survival, somehow. Godfaith does not have to be true or reveal truth, yet I am pretty sure the believers thinks that Faith is revealing Truth. It is why they are sure they are right, no matter what the evidence, and 'bad evidence' as a couple have called it, is still regarded as 'Evidence' and (somehow :? ) is valid because the only purpose of evidence is to validate the Faith. It is why Believers damn each other as being in darkness, deluded and going to Hell (1) as much as any atheist, or believer in another religion. It is only understandable in terms of a ..."Belief that God through Faith is putting truth into their heads". That is the basis of a prori Godfaith and explains everything about what is otherwise pretty bewildering thinking.

Of course - and this is a Belief of mine - people do want to think that their beliefs are reasonable. And (another belief of mine... :) ) they know, deep down when a belief or claim of theirs looks wrong and is even proven wrong on evidence and reason, and Faithbased denialism of science, reason and even what the Bible actually says, sometimes fails. It's why some people reject Hell -threat and go UR, Creationist and become Christian evolutionists and even become somewhat deist and consider 'all religions a perception of God', even if they secretly believe that their concept is the more true one. (See cherry -picking, metaphor, Interpretation and cafeteria Christianity as an alternative to denial or fiddling of the actual data).

I must sound like a dogmatist myself, yet I am sure not only that Paul and Jesus and at least Some of the 'apostles' (the 12) were real, but the Gospel story is largely fabricated by Greek Christians (and I have the evidence), and that Godfaith, which is the basis of all Christian denial, dismissal and inverted logic, is the key and clue to understanding them, which they don't do very well themselves, and would much rather not.

Oh, a p.s. This Faithbased thinking (and science denial) is not limited to Godfaith; no, it also is used in Culthink such as UFOs, Alien technology (the Daainiken cult) and conspiracy theories, and I need hardly labour the politicised claims of bamboo ballots to see how Faith, science denial and politics can become a frothy, toxic and very dangerous mix, with or without a religious element.

(1) on that former board the ToS included denouncing other Christians as 'not Real Christians' as a bannable offence.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #8

Post by JehovahsWitness »

1. Why didn't Jesus write the final canon himself?
If Jesus had spent his time writting, there would have been little for him to write about.
Jesus' ministry was only 3 and a half years long and a proper examination of the gospels shows how hard he worked, on the road continuously for almost the entire time. Preaching, teaching and miracle working from dawn til dusk for the most part, Jesus had the same 24 hours a day as anyone else. Time and energy being finite Jesus evidently chose to prioritize, concentrating on what nobody but he could do and leaving written records in the hands of his trusted companions.
On a purely secular level we can be reasonably confident scripture has come to us the 21st century as it was written. That Jesus companions wrote true and accurate accounts of His life has to remain a matter of faith.

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS

RELATED POSTS
Why would God choose to communicate via the written word?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 08#p766608

Why didn't God just write the bible Himself?
viewtopic.php?p=1106952#p1106952

Why didn't Jesus write the bible?
viewtopic.php?p=1106949#p1106949

Why use humans to produce the bible?
viewtopic.php?p=1107005#p1107005

Would God's use of human "secretaries" to write the bible not have corrupted it from its start?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 83#p833783
To learn more please go to other posts related to...

THE BIBLE , AUTHORSHIP/TRANSMISSION and ... RISK OF CORRUPTION
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #9

Post by JehovahsWitness »

WHY DIDNT GOD JUST WRITE THE BIBLE HIMSELF AND DROP IT FROM HEAVEN?

He did of you want to believe the Mormons.
The unavoidable fact is, that exactly the same amount of faith is necessary to believe someone who says ... "Ive just found/ been given a book God wrote" [Mormon Style] as "My name is Moses, Ive been speaking to God and he told me to write this book" [Hebrew bible] or "My name is Mohammed, I was up in that mountain and I met an angel, and he gave me a message from God" [Islam].
Unless one is waiting for an angelic chorus every time one touches it, it makes absolutely no difference if God wrote his own book or he commissioned a human to do it: the book would STILL have to stand or fall on it content.

JW

RELATED POSTS
Why would God choose to communicate via the written word?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 08#p766608

Why didn't God just write the bible Himself?
viewtopic.php?p=1106952#p1106952

Why didn't Jesus write the bible?
viewtopic.php?p=1106949#p1106949

Why use humans to produce the bible?
viewtopic.php?p=1107005#p1107005

Would God's use of human "secretaries" to write the bible not have corrupted it from its start?

THE BIBLE , AUTHORSHIP/TRANSMISSION and ... RISK OF CORRUPTION
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:57 pm, edited 7 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #10

Post by TRANSPONDER »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:15 pm
1. Why didn't Jesus write the final canon himself?
If Jesus had spent his time writting, there would have been little for him to write about.
Jesus' ministry was only 3 and a half years long and a proper examination of the gospels shows how hard he worked, on the road continuously for almost the entire time. Preaching, teaching and miracle working from dawn til dusk for the most part, Jesus had the same 24 hours a day as anyone else. Time and energy being finite Jesus evidently chose to prioritize, concentrating on what nobody but he could do and leaving written records in the hands of his trusted companions.
On a purely secular level we can be reasonably confident scripture has come to us the 21st century as it was written. That Jesus companions wrote true and accurate accounts of His life has to remain a matter of faith.

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS

THE BIBLE , RISK OF CORRUPTION and ...BIBLICAL INERRANCY
As it was written in the 1st century or the 3rd century? The evidence (not widely understood or accepted as yet, I concede, but There nonetheless) is that the gospels evolved over several stages, and even when written down in the form that all 4 present gospels used, it was written by Greek Christians following Paul and not by the followers of Jesus as the twelve. A matter of Faith or personal buy - in, yes, but you do not get to make a faith -claim like that and expect everyone to accept it.
JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:28 pm WHY DIDNT GOD JUST WRITE THE BIBLE HIMSELF AND DROP IT FROM HEAVEN?

He did of you want to believe the Mormons.
The unavoidable fact is, that exactly the same amount of faith is necessary to believe soleone who says ... "Ive just found a book God wrote" [Mormon Style] as "My name is Moses, Ive been speaking to God and he told me to write this book" [Hebrew bible] or "My name is Mohamed, I was up in that moiuntain and I met an Angel, and he gave me a message from God" [Islam].
Unless one is waiting for an angelic chorus every time one touches it, it makes absolutely no difference if God wrote his own book or he commissioned a human to do it: the book would STILL have to stand or fall on it content.

JW
Well, that's something; but it Falls. Demonstrably Falls. Genesis to Revelation. As I said, the Fail isn't understood or appreciated yet, not least by the commentators, who repeatedly either start by assuming the gospels are eyewitness, or just assess all the conclusions - which are of course heavily weighted in favour of God apologists, who put the time, effort and money into it.