Is the KJV the most accurate translation of the Holy Scriptures?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

2timothy316
Under Probation

Is the KJV the most accurate translation of the Holy Scriptures?

Post #1

Post by 2timothy316 »

There are those that think that the King Jame Version of the Bible is the most accurate Bible translation there is. Many have placed their whole dogma on this belief. What evidence is there that it is or it is not the most accurate translation?

In the 1611 KJV Acts 12:4 says, "And when hee had apprehended him, hee put him in prison, and deliuered him to foure quaternions of souldiers to keepe him, intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people."

Here it says that people where celebrating Easter. Is this one of the errors in the KJV?
Last edited by 2timothy316 on Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Miles
Savant

Re: Is the KJV the most accurate translation of the Holy Scriptures?

Post #2

Post by Miles »

"A study published in 2014 by The Center for the Study of Religion and American Culture at Indiana University and Purdue University found that Americans read versions of the Bible as follows:

King James Version (55%)
New International Version (19%)
New Revised Standard Version (7%)
New American Bible (6%)
The Living Bible (5%)
All other translations (8%)"
source: Wikipedia

As for judging the most accurate, I believe that would depend on one's theology and how closely a Bible conformed to it. Maybe it's the KJV or perhaps one of the "All other translations"

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #3

Post by 2timothy316 »

Miles wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:48 pm .

As for judging the most accurate, I believe that would depend on one's theology and how closely a Bible conformed to it. Maybe it's the KJV or perhaps one of the "All other translations"

Should this be the way a person determines what Bible translation is accurate, by depending on one's theology? Shouldn't it be the other way round? Or should one just guess?

Miles
Savant

Post #4

Post by Miles »

2timothy316 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:45 pm

Should this be the way a person determines what Bible translation is accurate, by depending on one's theology? Shouldn't it be the other way round?
You mean pick a theology that best conforms to Bible X? Why not.

Or should one just guess?
As an atheist who doesn't put any trust in the Bible whatsoever, I regard guessing as good a method as any other.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #5

Post by 2timothy316 »

Miles wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:37 pm

Should this be the way a person determines what Bible translation is accurate, by depending on one's theology? Shouldn't it be the other way round?
No, I do not mean that. I mean is it right to pick a Bible that conforms to one's theology?
As an atheist who doesn't put any trust in the Bible whatsoever, I regard guessing as good a method as any other.

Even as an atheist I'm sure you would want your translated books on how to maintain your car to be accurate. So I'm sure you can at least appreciate why an accurate Bible would be important to a Christian.

Miles
Savant

Post #6

Post by Miles »

2timothy316 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:51 pm

No, I do not mean that. I mean is it right to pick a Bible that conforms to one's theology?
Why not? IOW, why would you purposely pick one that didn't?

Even as an atheist I'm sure you would want your translated books on how to maintain your car to be accurate.
Yup, but only because of necessity. I need to maintain my car properly, but I have no need for a Bible, any Bible, to be correct in any sense of the word.

So I'm sure you can at least appreciate why an accurate Bible would be important to a Christian.
Only marginally so. So many Biblical notations, pronouncements, and stories being apparently immaterial to one's salvation, I wouldn't think it would matter if they're accurate or not. Take Philippians 3:8 where the King James Version says

8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,

But the American Standard Version doesn't count them as "dung," but
Yea verily, and I count all things to be loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but refuse, that I may gain Christ,

And the Amplified Bible considers them as
But more than that, I count everything as loss compared to the priceless privilege and supreme advantage of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord [and of growing more deeply and thoroughly acquainted with Him—a joy unequaled]. For His sake I have lost everything, and I consider it all garbage, so that I may gain Christ

And the Common English Bible thinks of them as
But even beyond that, I consider everything a loss in comparison with the superior value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. I have lost everything for him, but what I lost I think of as sewer trash, so that I might gain Christ

While other Bibles use words such as

"rubbish"
"filth"
"trash"
"worthless"
"less than nothing"
"manure"
"waste"
"dirt"

Think it really matters what word is used here? It doesn't appear so. So why would a person really care what Paul (the writer speaking here) thought of what he lost? Think the salvation of one's soul depends on the accuracy of the translation? I wouldn't think so.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #7

Post by 2timothy316 »

Miles wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:45 pm

Personally my picks are the Bibles that are the most accurate in their translation. I didn't let my personal beliefs factor into my personal choice for a Bible. I use many Bibles in my studies so as to get a complete picture of what the writer was trying to convey.

Picking a Bible to fit my beliefs is like only picking laws that I believe should be obeyed. Then expecting cops and judges to uphold my view of the law.

Miles
Savant

Post #8

Post by Miles »

2timothy316 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:53 pm
Miles wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:45 pm

Personally my picks are the Bibles that are the most accurate in their translation.
With so many Bible versions to choose from---I have immediate access to nearly 60---how did you ever decide?

I didn't let my personal beliefs factor into my personal choice for a Bible. I use many Bibles in my studies so as to get a complete picture of what the writer was trying to convey.

Picking a Bible to fit my beliefs is like only picking laws that I believe should be obeyed. Then expecting cops and judges to uphold my view of the law.
So what's your solution, looking at various bibles and choosing the one that best suited your needs? Kind of like cherry-picking Bible verses?

onewithhim
Savant

Post #9

Post by onewithhim »

2timothy316 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:59 am There are those that think that the King Jame Version of the Bible is the most accurate Bible translation there is. Many have placed their whole dogma on this belief. What evidence is there that it is or it is not the most accurate translation?

In the 1611 KJV Acts 12:4 says, "And when hee had apprehended him, hee put him in prison, and deliuered him to foure quaternions of souldiers to keepe him, intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people."

Here it says that people where celebrating Easter. Is this one of the errors in the KJV?
Yes, that is one of the errors. The pagan celebration that became Easter was not celebrated at that time. That verse should be rendered: "He seized him and put him in prison, turning him over to four shifts of four soldiers each to guard him, intending to bring him out before the people after the Passover."

That is just one of the many inaccuracies of the KJV. It is a shame, because much of the KJV is well-translated.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #10

Post by onewithhim »

"A study published in 2014 by The Center for the Study of Religion and American Culture at Indiana University and Purdue University found that Americans read versions of the Bible as follows:

King James Version (55%)
New International Version (19%)
New Revised Standard Version (7%)
New American Bible (6%)
The Living Bible (5%)
All other translations (8%)"
source: Wikipedia

The KJV is most-read (or most-owned) in English speaking environments because it has been the most familiar Bible translation, until of late, when many translations have been produced. It certainly isnt the most accurate, but people don't generally question it because of its vast popularity.