Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Miles
Savant

Us

Post #1

Post by Miles »

In Genesis 1:26 one reads

"26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth."

What I get from this is that making man wasn't a solo task, but a cooperative effort of god and, at a minimum, someone/thing else. So, who is this us, and our, and what's the reason for your choice?

Secondary question: being the almighty god he is said to be, why do you think he needed help in making man?

Savant

Re: Us

Post #2

Post by 1213 »

Miles wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:50 pm .
"26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth."
What I get from this is that making man wasn't a solo task, but a cooperative effort of god and, at a minimum, someone/thing else. So, who is this us, and our, and what's the reason for your choice?

Secondary question: being the almighty god he is said to be, why do you think he needed help in making man?

Does the Bible sat God needed help? I don't think so.

However, I think it is possible Jesus was there also, because:

in whom we have redemption through His blood, the remission of sins; who is the image of the invisible God, the First-born of all creation. For all things were created in Him, the things in the heavens, and the things on the earth, the visible and the invisible; whether thrones, or lordships, or rulers, or authorities, all things have been created through Him and for Him.
Col. 1:14-16

The Tanager
Savant

Post #3

Post by The Tanager »

Miles wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:50 pmIn Genesis 1:26 one reads

1. I think the common thoughts are (1) it's a plural of majesty, but only denotes one actual being, (2) it speaks of polytheism, (3) it's the divine counsel of angels, (4) it's the Trinity, or (5) both the divine counsel and the Trinity is included. I'm undecided between 3, 4, and 5. (1) would seem out of place since God isn't always using the plurality of majesty elsewhere. (2) would seem to contradict the message in the rest of the Hebrew scriptures (Deut 6:4, Isaiah 44:6, etc.) as well.

2. Why do you think God using someone/thing else, such as the divine counsel, to help create means that God needed help as supposed to wanted to include others in the making?

Miles
Savant

Post #4

Post by Miles »

1213 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:04 am

Does the Bible sat God needed help? I don't think so.
Then why ask them to participate?

However, I think it is possible Jesus was there also, because:

in whom we have redemption through His blood, the remission of sins; who is the image of the invisible God, the First-born of all creation. For all things were created in Him, the things in the heavens, and the things on the earth, the visible and the invisible; whether thrones, or lordships, or rulers, or authorities, all things have been created through Him and for Him.
Col. 1:14-16
Okay. That's 1 possibility for Jesus. Thanks.

Miles
Savant

Post #5

Post by Miles »

:down:
The Tanager wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:26 pm
Miles wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:50 pmIn Genesis 1:26 one reads

1. I think the common thoughts are (1) it's a plural of majesty, but only denotes one actual being, (2) it speaks of polytheism, (3) it's the divine counsel of angels, (4) it's the Trinity, or (5) both the divine counsel and the Trinity is included. I'm undecided between 3, 4, and 5. (1) would seem out of place since God isn't always using the plurality of majesty elsewhere. (2) would seem to contradict the message in the rest of the Hebrew scriptures (Deut 6:4, Isaiah 44:6, etc.) as well.

2. Why do you think God using someone/thing else, such as the divine counsel, to help create means that God needed help as supposed to wanted to include others in the making?
And perhaps that's all he did want, to simply include others in the making. But, why? Lacking any stated reason I have to fall back on the one I see most commonly used: He needed help. Other than for the fun of doing something, rarely have I ever asked anyone to do something with me or for me---unless I needed their help, and I just don't see where any fun comes with "making man in our image." Particularly when being omniscient god knows how mankind will turn out. :down:

The Tanager
Savant

Post #6

Post by The Tanager »

Miles wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:42 pmAnd perhaps that's all he did want, to simply include others in the making. But, why? Lacking any stated reason I have to fall back on the one I see most commonly used: He needed help. Other than for the fun of doing something, rarely have I ever asked anyone to do something with me or for me---unless I needed their help, and I just don't see where any fun comes with "making man in our image." Particularly when being omniscient god knows how mankind will turn out. :down:
Given that you are talking about a creator of everything (for the sake of argument, of course) it isn't likely that such a being would need help. Sharing activities with others is something I find very fun and rewarding. Even if I know how it will turn.

Miles
Savant

Post #7

Post by Miles »

The Tanager wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:52 pm
Miles wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:42 pmAnd perhaps that's all he did want, to simply include others in the making. But, why? Lacking any stated reason I have to fall back on the one I see most commonly used: He needed help. Other than for the fun of doing something, rarely have I ever asked anyone to do something with me or for me---unless I needed their help, and I just don't see where any fun comes with "making man in our image." Particularly when being omniscient god knows how mankind will turn out. :down:
Given that you are talking about a creator of everything (for the sake of argument, of course) it isn't likely that such a being would need help. Sharing activities with others is something I find very fun and rewarding. Even if I know how it will turn.
Then this is where we differ I guess. I can't remember ever asking anyone to share in an activity I knew was doomed from the outset.

bjs1
Sage

Post #8

Post by bjs1 »

Most Christian scholars view this a pre-Trinitarian language. This verse doesn’t get us all the way to the Trinity, but it hints at the idea of a plurality in God’s nature.

There is nothing in the text to suggest that God involved others in His work of creation.

The other common explanation is that God was using the “royal we,” like when Queen Victoria reportedly said, “We are not amused.” This explanation is unlikely because, even if we take the latest possible date for the writing of Genesis, the “royal we” would not be a concept for more than 1,000 years after the book we completed.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin

Miles
Savant

Post #9

Post by Miles »

bjs1 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:24 pm

Most Christian scholars view this a pre-Trinitarian language. This verse doesn’t get us all the way to the Trinity, but it hints at the idea of a plurality in God’s nature.

There is nothing in the text to suggest that God involved others in His work of creation.
Then what do you think "Let us make man in our image" means? If someone came up to you and said "How about we make cup cakes tomorrow" what do you think they wanted you to do?

bjs1
Sage

Post #10

Post by bjs1 »

Miles wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:55 pm
bjs1 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:24 pm

Then what do you think "Let us make man in our image" means? If someone came up to you and said "How about we make bread" what do you think they wanted you to do?

As I said, I think that this is proto-Trinitarian language. God – the Father, the Son, and Holy Spirit; one God existing in three persons – said, “Let us make man in our image.” God was referring to himself as the one God who created everything and establishing that all three persons of the Trinity were involved in creation and are the imagine that men and women are made in.

As I said, we can’t get to the Trinity from this passage alone. We can only understand it because we see the three persons of Trinity described in the New Testament. What came later enlightens and explains what came before.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin