Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

POI
Prodigy

The Christian God

Post #1

Post by POI »

For Debate

1) Is the claim for the Christian God demonstratable? If so, how?
2) Is the claim for the Christian God falsifiable? If so, how?
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Savant

Re: The Christian God

Post #2

Post by 1213 »

POI wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:20 pm For Debate

To demonstrate or falsify God, shouldn't we first know what/who is God? I think so. And Bible tells God is spirit and love.

God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.
John 4:24
he who is not loving did not know God, because God is love.
1 Joh. 4:8
And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.
1 John 4:16

Now the question is, can love be demonstrated? I personally think love is demonstrated for example through Bible.

POI
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by POI »

1213 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:20 am

To demonstrate or falsify God, shouldn't we first know what/who is God? I think so. And Bible tells God is spirit and love.

God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.
And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.

Now the question is, can love be demonstrated? I personally think love is demonstrated for example through Bible.
Love = God?

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #4

Post by TRANSPONDER »

That only makes the same question. What is 'spirit'? What is love? Apart from human emotions, products of an evolved brain, what are they in terms of a god? How can they be a being, entity and a thing outside human thought?

How do you validate that? How does one falsify it? Why should one believe it? I see no good reason, not 'we need it, true or not'; nor any of the apologetics scams like Pascal's wager or 'What if you're wrong?', and certainly not because the Bible says so, as I would not trust it any more than Giuliani on the witness stand.

Savant

Post #5

Post by 1213 »

POI wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:21 am

Love = God?
Yes, that is what Bible says. Or do you think that those scriptures could mean something else?

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #6

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Books can say a lot of things. That doesn't make them true. We constantly come up against this mindset that 'if it's in the Bible, it's true', or should be taken as true until disproved. That is not how evidence and reason works.

POI
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by POI »

1213 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:48 am
POI wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:21 am

Love = God?
Yes, that is what Bible says. Or do you think that those scriptures could mean something else?
Before I chime in here, I'd like a well thought out response to post #4.

Savant

Post #8

Post by 1213 »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:10 am That only makes the same question. What is 'spirit'? What is love? Apart from human emotions, products of an evolved brain, what are they in terms of a god? How can they be a being, entity and a thing outside human thought?
I don't think love is an emotion, if we speak about the love in the Bible. I think love is more like an attitude, or state of mind. And I think that love is outside human thought originally, as I don't think atheists know it. They know love in secular meaning, which is more like lust or liking or possessiveness, not the same as in the Bible. And I think probably the only way to know love as in the Bible is to experience it. And if you experience it, then it is perhaps validated to you.
TRANSPONDER wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:10 am...Why should one believe it? ...
To me that is about the same as asking, why should anyone believe sun exists. I don't think you must do so, but I think it just happens to be so.
TRANSPONDER wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:10 amor 'What if you're wrong?',
What do I lose, if I am wrong? Nothing meaningful.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #9

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:44 am
TRANSPONDER wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:10 am That only makes the same question. What is 'spirit'? What is love? Apart from human emotions, products of an evolved brain, what are they in terms of a god? How can they be a being, entity and a thing outside human thought?
I don't think love is an emotion, if we speak about the love in the Bible. I think love is more like an attitude, or state of mind. And I think that love is outside human thought originally, as I don't think atheists know it. They know love in secular meaning, which is more like lust or liking or possessiveness, not the same as in the Bible. And I think probably the only way to know love as in the Bible is to experience it. And if you experience it, then it is perhaps validated to you.
TRANSPONDER wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:10 am...Why should one believe it? ...
To me that is about the same as asking, why should anyone believe sun exists. I don't think you must do so, but I think it just happens to be so.
TRANSPONDER wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:10 amor 'What if you're wrong?',
What do I lose, if I am wrong? Nothing meaningful.
Love is a blunderbuss word and can mean many things. that said it is a positive emotion regarding those many things. Hate is the a negative response.

To personify it as a being makes no sense, has no empirical support and is merely a faith - claim. Biblically, if God is loving by nature (so is Allah, so they say) then Love can be perverted into killing and enslaving millions because God says so. He may say Play Nice in the NT (though Jesus is irascible and threatens harm like a MAGA hat - wearer fearing to lose an election. In practice, Christian nations march to war with God on their side, without too much trouble.

It is foolish to say 'it is so'. Or maybe not. In a way, the epistemology and logic is the same. The sun exists; we all see it. But what is it? A god? Is it a fiery chariot or a globe about a furlong across trundled across the sky by Khepher the celestial dung beetle? (there's human limited knowledge turned into religion, if you like). The religion exists (though there is only one sun, there are many religions, which is a red flag to start with) but are the beliefs about it true?

It takes science to tell us about both. But because we no longer have sun -worship, nobody is trying to win a polemical battle so we can carry on ripping out hearts to make sure it keeps rising. Unfortunately massive amounts of time, money and effort are being put into telling us that a dead body got up, walked, floated up to heaven and will come back to make everything perfectly lovely by wiping most of us out.

How glad am I that I don't believe any of it. What do you lose if you're wrong? You go to hell, that's what. Just ask any Muslim. What do you lose if atheism is right? Which I suspect is what you Really meant. Free use of the one life you have, rather than waste it believing nonsense. It's a choice, and no atheist will tell you that you will float in Lava for eternity like Gollum. Atheism has no atheist punishment to try to twist your arm to make you free of dogma and myth. It is a free gift. You just have to decide what's more important to you: going with the evidence, or making the evidence fit the Faith.

POI
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by POI »

1213 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:44 am I don't think love is an emotion, if we speak about the love in the Bible. I think love is more like an attitude, or state of mind. And I think that love is outside human thought
All your described states are still controlled by the hypothalamus. Without the hypothalamus, such described states are not possible. Hence, without this portion of your brain, 'love' does not exist. Therefore, 'love' cannot exist outside the human. Remove the hypothalamus, and you then remove the ability to 'love'.
1213 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:44 am What do I lose, if I am wrong? Nothing meaningful.
Right. And type 1 errors are harmless.