Who is Coming, Jesus or the Father?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

MissKate13
Sage

Who is Coming, Jesus or the Father?

Post #1

Post by MissKate13 »

A JW on this forum once told me that both Jesus and God are coming, yet I am unable to find a Scripture that says the Father is coming. I find only Jesus coming.

Revelation 1:7

7Behold, He is coming with clouds, and every eye will see Him, even they who pierced Him. And all the tribes of the earth will mourn because of Him. Even so, Amen.
”For unless you believe that I am, you will die in your sins.” (John 8:24

Tcg
Savant

Re: Who is Coming, Jesus or the Father?

Post #2

Post by Tcg »

MissKate13 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:03 pm A JW on this forum once told me that both Jesus and God are coming, yet I am unable to find a Scripture that says the Father is coming. I find only Jesus coming.

7Behold, He is coming with clouds, and every eye will see Him, even they who pierced Him. And all the tribes of the earth will mourn because of Him. Even so, Amen.
The phrase "even they who pierced Him", is an obvious reference to the crucifixion events during which Jesus was pierced. The one returning therefore is Jesus. There is no mention of his father returning.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

MissKate13
Sage

Post #3

Post by MissKate13 »

Tcg wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:51 pm
MissKate13 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:03 pm A JW on this forum once told me that both Jesus and God are coming, yet I am unable to find a Scripture that says the Father is coming. I find only Jesus coming.

The phrase "even they who pierced Him", is an obvious reference to the crucifixion events during which Jesus was pierced. The one returning therefore is Jesus. There is no mention of his father returning.

Tcg
I agree, and the very next verse says,

8“ I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End,” says the Lord, “who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.” (Rev. 1:8)

A JW on this forum said that this verse refers to God. My question is this. If Rev. 1:8 is a reference to God, where do I find other verses in the Bible which say that the Father and Jesus BOTH are coming?

Savant

Post #4

Post by 1213 »

But, Bible tells Jesus is the temple of God. Could it be that God comes in Jesus on earth?

Jesus said to them, Destroy this sanctuary, and in three days I will raise it up. Then the Jews said, This sanctuary was forty six years being built, and do you raise it up in three days? But He spoke about the sanctuary of His body.
John 2:19-21
Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in Me? The words which I speak to you I do not speak from Myself, but the Father who abides in Me, He does the works. Believe Me that I am in the Father, and the Father is in Me; but if not, believe Me because of the works themselves.
John 14:10-11

MissKate13
Sage

Post #5

Post by MissKate13 »

1213 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:29 am

But, Bible tells Jesus is the temple of God. Could it be that God comes in Jesus on earth?

Jesus said to them, Destroy this sanctuary, and in three days I will raise it up. Then the Jews said, This sanctuary was forty six years being built, and do you raise it up in three days? But He spoke about the sanctuary of His body.
Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in Me? The words which I speak to you I do not speak from Myself, but the Father who abides in Me, He does the works. Believe Me that I am in the Father, and the Father is in Me; but if not, believe Me because of the works themselves.
Very good points.

Jesus was talking about His body being the temple in John 2:19-21. He’s referring to His crucifixion and resurrection of His physical body.

In John 14:10-11, Jesus couldn’t have stated His Deity any more clearly than this. He said that He was in the Father, and the Father was in Him.

So are you saying you believe as I do, that Jesus is YHWH? My understanding is that Father, Son & Holy Spirit are one God, yet separate beings. After all, it wasn’t the Father who was pierced. It was Jesus.

So I guess my question to you is this. Is God, the Father and Jesus coming as one being or two?

Also, do you know of any verse that states the Father is coming?

There are other verses that are similar. Jesus tells Thomas, “He who are seen Me has seen the Father.” (John 14:9)

Does this mean Jesus was the Father? No. Jesus and the Father are separate beings.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #6

Post by onewithhim »

That shows that the Father and Jesus are in agreement, just as Jesus said his disciples were "one" with him and the Father.

Jesus to his Father, YHWH: "I do not ask on behalf of these alone, but for those also who believe in me through their word: that they may all be one; even as You, Father, are in me and I in You, that they may also be in us, so that the world may believe that You sent me." (John 17:20-23, NASB)

Are the disciples also God or temples of God?

onewithhim
Savant

Post #7

Post by onewithhim »

MissKate13 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:45 pm

Very good points.

Jesus was talking about His body being the temple in John 2:19-21. He’s referring to His crucifixion and resurrection of His physical body.

In John 14:10-11, Jesus couldn’t have stated His Deity any more clearly than this. He said that He was in the Father, and the Father was in Him.
Jesus was merely stating that he and the Father are in agreement. He prayed to the Father about his disciples: "I do not ask on behalf of these alone, but for those also who believe in me through their word; that they may all be one, even as You, Father, are in me and I in You, that they also may be in us so that the world may believe that You sent me. The glory which You have given me I have given to them, that they may be one, just as we are one; I in them and You in me, that they may be perfected in unity..." (John 17: 20-23, NASB)

How much clearer does it have to be that when Jesus said he and the Father were "one," it meant only that they were unified, or, in agreement? Otherwise, the disciples must also be God.

MissKate13
Sage

Post #8

Post by MissKate13 »

[Replying to onewithhim in post #7]

My post was directed to 1213. I am already aware of your views, so I wont be posting any responses tou you.

MissKate13
Sage

Post #9

Post by MissKate13 »

Who is the speaker in verse 8 of Revelation 1, Jesus or God, the Father?

7 Behold, He is coming with clouds, and every eye will see Him, even they who pierced Him. And all the tribes of the earth will mourn because of Him. Even so, Amen.

8 “I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End,” says the Lord, “who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.”

onewithhim
Savant

Post #10

Post by onewithhim »

MissKate13 wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:24 am [Replying to onewithhim in post #7]

My post was directed to 1213. I am already aware of your views, so I wont be posting any responses tou you.
So you won't even comment on my posts? I thought this was a debate forum. Yet you won't have an interchange with me?