Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Bad Christian or not a Christian?

Post #1

Post by boatsnguitars »

Can you still be a Christian, even if you purposely defy Jesus's commands?

So everyone is clear, Jesus commanded of his followers:
Love God and Love Your Neighbor:
Matthew 22:37-39 (NIV): "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

The Great Commission:
Matthew 28:19-20 (NIV): "Go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you."

Repentance and Forgiveness:
Luke 24:46-47 (NIV): "Repentance for the forgiveness of sins will be preached in his name to all nations."

The Golden Rule:
Matthew 7:12 (NIV): "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets."

Humility and Servanthood:
Matthew 20:26-28 (NIV): "Whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be your slave."

Seek God's Kingdom First:
Matthew 6:33 (NIV): "But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well."

The New Commandment:
John 13:34-35 (NIV): "Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another."

Perseverance and Endurance:
Matthew 24:13 (NIV): "But the one who stands firm to the end will be saved."

Faith and Trust:
John 14:1 (NIV): "Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me."

Generosity and Selflessness:
Luke 6:30 (NIV): "Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back."

Giving to Those in Need:
Matthew 5:42 (NIV): "Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you."
At what point does a person go from being a bad Christian to no Christian at all?
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Re: Bad Christian or not a Christian?

Post #2

Post by TRANSPONDER »

If one were to say 'from a weak or cafeteria Christian to no Christian', it just happen "I'm out" "I don't believe it anymore" as some have said. Some keep on with it as just the 'play nice' Jesus message which we actually don't need Jesus for. Different people react differently and some kick the habit right away and others never really get over it.

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by boatsnguitars »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:45 am If one were to say 'from a weak or cafeteria Christian to no Christian', it just happen "I'm out" "I don't believe it anymore" as some have said. Some keep on with it as just the 'play nice' Jesus message which we actually don't need Jesus for. Different people react differently and some kick the habit right away and others never really get over it.
So true. I'm wondering which commandment you can actively reject from Jesus and still call yourself a follower?

For example, I've asked Christians to give me their house, car and money (Luke 6:30), but I wonder if one could:

Hate their Neighbor, not "Go and make disciples," not repent or forgive, treat others different from how you'd treat yourself, be a servant, not stand firm in the end, not believe in God or Jesus, not give if asked... and still think of themselves as followers of Jesus?

I know people do. I'm just curious if Christians ever really think about what it takes to be a follower of Jesus.

My impression is they think all you need to do to be a Christian is:
Be judgmental
Express your beliefs as fact
Ridicule other who are different from you
Be hypocrites
Hate science

I'd really want to know if there is any Christian here willing to "give it up to Jesus" and give me their house. As an act of faith - as proof they really believe. (In fact, if they did, they might get so much attention, Christians from around the world might donate money to buy them a mansion! But, only if they have faith in Jesus...) But, anyone gullible enough to REALLY believe in Jesus probably doesn't own a house.

Quite the conundrum!
― Omar Khayyâm

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #4

Post by TRANSPONDER »

I suspect one can do any or all of that and even make a fetish of the Sabbath which Jesus thought one would be better off ignoring. One can even give up belief in Jesus, Christianity and the bible but that is permissible just if you continue to call yourself a Christian. You don't don't have to be one so long as you keep saying you are.

Savant

Post #5

Post by 1213 »

boatsnguitars wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:16 am ...
At what point does a person go from being a bad Christian to no Christian at all?
A Christian means originally a disciple of Jesus. And person is truly a disciple of Jesus, if he remains in his word. So, it may be that a Christian fails in doing everything as Jesus said, but, if he remains in his word, he can still be counted his disciple. I understand that remaining in his word means that person is loyal to his teachings. Don't replace and revoke them with own doctrines. For example, Jesus says, "love your neighbor", remaining in his word means that person think that is right and wants to keep that and live by it. But, humans can be weak and fail in doing always so. It does not necessary mean person has rejected the word, unless he thinks it is not a good teaching to be followed and makes own doctrines to override the teachings of Jesus.

…The disciples were first called Christians in Antioch.
Acts 11:26
Jesus therefore said to those Jews who had believed him, “If you remain in my word, then you are truly my disciples. You will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.”
John 8:31-32

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by boatsnguitars »

1213 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:03 am
boatsnguitars wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:16 am ...
A Christian means originally a disciple of Jesus. And person is truly a disciple of Jesus, if he remains in his word. So, it may be that a Christian fails in doing everything as Jesus said, but, if he remains in his word, he can still be counted his disciple. I understand that remaining in his word means that person is loyal to his teachings. Don't replace and revoke them with own doctrines. For example, Jesus says, "love your neighbor", remaining in his word means that person think that is right and wants to keep that and live by it. But, humans can be weak and fail in doing always so. It does not necessary mean person has rejected the word, unless he thinks it is not a good teaching to be followed and makes own doctrines to override the teachings of Jesus.

…The disciples were first called Christians in Antioch.
Acts 11:26
Jesus therefore said to those Jews who had believed him, “If you remain in my word, then you are truly my disciples. You will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.”
John 8:31-32
He didn't JUST say that, though, did he?
Do you agree with this:
When the rich young ruler came to Jesus, he came with a seeker’s heart (Mark 10:17) and a desire to live an honest, upright life (Mark 10:20). He even boasted that he had kept the Ten Commandments all his life, but though Jesus recognized and acknowledged his sincerity, no amount of money or good deeds could ever grant him eternal life or save him from his sin. The apostle Paul later wrote that “a man is not justified by the works of the Law but through faith in Christ Jesus, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, so that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the Law; since by the works of the Law no flesh will be justified" (Galatians 2:17).

The rich young ruler, like many, wanted a straightforward, easy answer to one of life’s biggest questions. “What must I do to inherit eternal life?” he asked. What steps must I take to earn the ultimate reward? As a wealthy and influential man, he was probably used to buying the things he wanted in life and setting goals that he could achieve through hard work, earned favor, and his own merit. Money and hard work are not bad things. Salvation, however, cannot be bought or earned. It’s not about what we do; it’s Christ’s work alone that justifies and saves.

Jesus cut quickly to the heart of the man’s question by exposing this fundamental flaw in his understanding.

Would he accept that nothing he did would earn him God’s love?
Would he be willing to let go of his money, security, and lifestyle to follow Jesus?
Would he be able to walk away from a works-based way of thinking to accept the free gift of salvation and make Jesus the one and only lord of his life?
The rich young ruler had a golden opportunity (and invitation) to inherit a treasure far greater than any plot of land or earthly possession. He instead walked away disappointed. The cost of surrender was simply too much for him to bear. Perhaps this is why Jesus also warned His would-be followers that, “if anyone wants to come after Me, he must deny himself, take up his cross daily, and follow me.” (Luke 9:23)

By asking the rich young ruler to give away his possessions, Jesus wasn’t setting a precedent for future disciples to follow. Poverty and voluntary vagrancy were not prerequisites for discipleship. Jesus wanted to demonstrate that money and possessions, like earthly power and influence, can become distractions and even obstacles that prevent us from truly knowing God or allowing Him to rule in our lives. Wealth and possessions are not condemned here. Paul later wrote to Timothy that, “the love of money is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs” (1 Timothy 6:10). Jesus also said that “where your treasure is, there your heart will be also" (Matthew 6:21).

Unfortunately, it is the wealthy who are often victims of their own abundance, comfort, and self-confidence, too reliant on material possession and wealth to seek God or even recognize their need for a Savior. Jesus would use His encounter with the rich young ruler to remind His disciples of this very fact and that it is often difficult for the “wealthy to enter the kingdom of God.” (Mark 10:23) He even likened it to a “camel passing through the eye of a needle" (Mark 10:25). Impossible? Perhaps in human terms, but when the disciples asked, “who then can be saved?” Jesus made the theology of salvation abundantly clear, “with people it is impossible, but not with God; for all things are possible with God” (Mark 10:27). This was the point.

“You cannot serve two masters,” Jesus argued. “Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money” (Matthew 6:4). We live in a world where the accumulation of wealth and possessions is celebrated and even glorified. Those who recognize their sin and subsequent need for a savior, however, quickly discover that wealth and material possessions are meaningless in the grand scheme of eternity. As the saying goes, “you can’t take them with you.” Money may buy a lot of things, but when it comes to our faith, the apostle James had it right: “did God not choose the poor of this world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom which He promised to those who love Him" (James 2:5)?

Is This an Attitude of the Heart or a Way We Need to Live?
Jesus challenged His followers, both present and future, to refocus their attention on the eternal rewards of a life committed to Him, not the temporary and corruptible things of this world. Many of Jesus’s disciples had left everything, including their families, careers, and homes, to follow Him. They had made Jesus their Lord and master, and to those who did, Jesus promised, “there is no one who has left house or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or farms, for My sake and for the gospel’s sake, but that he will receive a hundred times as much now in the present age, houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and farms, along with persecutions; and in the age to come, eternal life. But many who are first will be last, and the last, first” (Mark 10:29-31).

At times, Jesus instructed His disciples to travel light, give away their possessions, (Luke 10:4, Luke 12:33-34) and trust Him to provide for their every need (Luke 12:22-29, Philippians 4:19). This wasn’t an excuse to live reckless and irresponsible lives or to squander their money. Jesus instructed us to be wise stewards of the life, the gifts, and the time He has given. This includes our money and possessions. Jesus ultimately taught His followers to place their hope, trust, and treasure in the eternal rewards of obedience and the riches of knowing Him (Colossians 2:2-3), not accumulated wealth, power, or earthly possessions (1 Timothy 6:17-19).

“But seek first His kingdom, and these things will be provided to you” (Luke 12:29-31).

When and How Much Should We Give to Others?
Those who recognize that all blessings in life come from God, understand that the things they own are given by God, belong to Him, and are His to do with as He pleases. They can be taken just as quickly as they were given. In the end, we are merely stewards of all that He has entrusted us with, and one day, we will hand it all back. This kind of attitude leads Christians to become less stingy, greedy and possessive and more generous and compassionate in the process. Throughout Scripture, God reminds Christians that they are to give and give often. They are expected to tithe (Malachi 3:10, Proverbs 3:9), pay their taxes (Matthew 22:20-21), and take care of those in the church and community (Acts 4:32). They are also instructed to be generous with their wealth and give freely to others.

“Give to everyone who asks of you,” Jesus said, “and whoever takes away what is yours, do not demand it back” (Luke 6:30).

“Now I say this,” Paul also wrote, “the one who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and the one who sows generously will also reap generously. Each one must do just as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver” (2 Corinthians 9:6-7).

In giving, however, Christians should never be showy (Matthew 6:1-4) or concerned about how their giving compares to others. Generosity is not measured in dollar amount or the number of likes, comments, or re-tweets it receives. God encourages us to give in secret because, unlike man, He looks at the heart, and His praise is far more precious than man’s favor or admiration.

How Does This Message Affect the Way We Live Our Daily Lives?
Knowing this, Christians should always strive to work hard, be faithful with the gifts they’ve been given, and be generous in giving freely to others. We must surrender our finances, like our lives, fully to God and recognize that the greatest treasure on earth pales in comparison to the riches of knowing God. We do so, “that our hearts may be encouraged, having been knit together in love, and that we would attain to all the wealth that comes from the full assurance of understanding, resulting in a true knowledge of God’s mystery, that is, Christ Himself, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge” (Colossians 2:2-3). As it is written, “what no eye has seen, what no ear has heard, and what no human mind has conceived – the things God has prepared for those who love him—” (1 Corinthians 2:9).
https://www.crosswalk.com/faith/bible-s ... sions.html

Are you the kind of Christian that will "travel light, give away their possessions, (Luke 10:4, Luke 12:33-34) and trust Him to provide for their every need (Luke 12:22-29, Philippians 4:19)?"

I already hear someone saying, "But, how can you do that in todays economy!"

Well, you can join the Church. Actually be a disciple, a priest, a Monk. You can be a Missionary, etc. I would think that's the true way of being a Christian: not to be a person who says, "Lord, Lord" on Sunday, and posts to forums about how they are righteous in keeping their money, judging who is worthy of their tithe, hating their enemies, etc.

The followers of Christ actually followed him. They gave up their families and jobs. Good jobs. They gave up their possessions.

Sure, you can find a Church that will tell you to make Millions for Jesus, but we all know that wasn't Jesus's message.

Don't we?

Luke 12:33
Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will never fail, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys.

Matt 19:21
Jesus said to him, “If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.”

(Go figure... An atheist educating and encouraging Christians to be more Christian!)
― Omar Khayyâm

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #7

Post by benchwarmer »

boatsnguitars wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:23 am

Luke 12:33
Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will never fail, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys.

Matt 19:21
Jesus said to him, “If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.”

(Go figure... An atheist educating and encouraging Christians to be more Christian!)
I think many Christians don't actually realize they are not following all Jesus's teachings. And, conveniently, when pressed on such matters as above we get "Well, we all sin sometimes and don't do everything perfectly, but we still follow Jesus!"

To which I would respond with the following story where Jesus does forgive you your sins, but also asks that you leave your life of sin i.e. stop sinning.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=NIV
9 At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first, until only Jesus was left, with the woman still standing there. 10 Jesus straightened up and asked her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?”

11 “No one, sir,” she said.

“Then neither do I condemn you,” Jesus declared. “Go now and leave your life of sin.”
To which some may respond "Well, I can just repent over and over and be forgiven!"

Ok, but at what point are you really going to try and follow ALL the teachings and stop ignoring the inconvenient ones because you can ask to be forgiven for not doing them?

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by boatsnguitars »

[Replying to benchwarmer in post #7]

And you gotta love how many Christians try to argue against what Jesus clearly said while declaring they are true followers...

Oh, sure, Christian, tell us all about what Jesus meant to say - that, amazingly, allows you to do whatever you feel is best for you.... roll eyes...
― Omar Khayyâm

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #9

Post by TRANSPONDER »

This may be a redundant observation, but for sure the most anti - Biblical 'Christian' theology ever (even more than Justified war') is the Prosperity Gospel. Even where not a scammological pyramid - scheme, it is antithetical to the Gospels. But as you bods observed, Self - designated Christians have done whatever they liked and claimed it was following Jesus. And it probably doesn't hurt that you can justify whatever you like from scripture if you just rummage deep enough and clip the context as required.

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by boatsnguitars »

Sure! If you don't like what Jesus said, just go next door to the next church until you find the Jesus you want.

There's a Jesus for everyone! And Christians think that kind of popularity is evidence its all true!

Amazing what people can convince themselves of: they can even decide they don't need to follow Jesus, only find the Jesus they want to follow according to their desires.
― Omar Khayyâm