Preamble
Genesis 2–3 is often treated as the foundation for explaining the Fall and the need for Christ’s death. But does the text itself actually establish those Christian claims?
The narrative leaves numerous important questions unanswered, including motivations, meanings, timing, consequences, and what actually occurred. These gaps require readers to supply assumptions that the text itself never states.
The Bible itself contains multiple theological interpretations of Genesis 2–3, representing later religious assumptions and beliefs that are not part of the original text.
If Genesis 2–3 cannot establish original sin, inherited guilt, or humanity’s need for redemption, then it cannot independently tell us why Christ’s death was necessary.
My argument is not that Genesis 2–3 is historically or literally worthless. Rather, I am questioning its usefulness as evidence for determining whether Christianity’s theological explanation of Christ’s death is true.
Definitions
1. Theological interpretation: A religious explanation or understanding assigned to a biblical passage.
2. Original text: What the biblical passage actually says, without later interpretations added to it.
3. Religious assumptions: Beliefs accepted without being explicitly established by the biblical text.
4. Evidence: Information or facts used to support or evaluate whether a claim is true.
Relevant Biblical Passages
Genesis 2:17
“But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.”
Genesis 3:7
“Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they knew that they were naked, and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons.”
Genesis 3:22
“And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:”
Genesis 3:24
“So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.”
Argument
P1: Genesis 2–3 does not explicitly establish the theological claims later used to explain Christ’s death.
P2: Claims requiring additional unstated assumptions cannot establish their theological conclusions.
C: Genesis 2–3 is insufficient evidence for determining whether Christianity’s explanation of Christ’s death is true.
Genesis 2–3 Cannot Establish the Need For Christ’s Death
Moderator: Moderators
-
Ray the atheist
- Scholar
- Posts: 355
- Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2026 12:28 pm
- Has thanked: 12 times
- Been thanked: 48 times
Genesis 2–3 Cannot Establish the Need For Christ’s Death
Post #1I study religiously motivated reasoning. I'm an agnostic atheist and I don't believe in the supernatural or superstitions. I genuinely want to engage your ideas charitably and respectfully. I value critical thinking, empathy, intellectual honesty, and civil disagreement. I am committed to understanding each other’s arguments, remaining open to correction, and discussing arguments rather than attack each other.
- JehovahsWitness
- Savant
- Posts: 23632
- Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:03 am
- Has thanked: 934 times
- Been thanked: 1357 times
- Contact:
Re: Genesis 2–3 Cannot Establish the Need For Christ’s Death
Post #2Genesis chapters 2 and 3 only establishes that the actions of Adam and Eve resulted in their expulsion from the Garden and the loss of what they originally had. That a "redeemer" would come and recrify the situation for their offspring is implied but not explained in Genesis 3:15. The role of Christ would be many thousands of years in the revealing but that there would be further chapters in this story is implicit in the edenic judgements of Genesis 3.
JEHOVAH'S WITNESS
Further reading The truth about sin
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2010414
JEHOVAH'S WITNESS
Further reading The truth about sin
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2010414
To learn more please go to other posts related to...
SIN , PERFECTION , and ...THE RANSOM SACRIFICE OF JESUS CHRIST
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681
"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" - Romans 14:8
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681
"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" - Romans 14:8
- 1213
- Savant
- Posts: 13732
- Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:06 am
- Location: Finland
- Has thanked: 544 times
- Been thanked: 528 times
Re: Genesis 2–3 Cannot Establish the Need For Christ’s Death
Post #3In a way that is true. According to the Bible, the reason why Jesus died is this:Ray the atheist wrote: ↑Mon Sep 14, 2026 10:11 am P1: Genesis 2–3 does not explicitly establish the theological claims later used to explain Christ’s death.
For to this end Christ died, rose, and lived again, that he might be Lord of both the dead and the living.
Romans 14:9
Most assuredly, I tell you, the hour comes, and now is, when the dead will hear the Son of God's voice; and those who hear will live.
John 5:25
But, if people would not have rejected God in the Garden, people would still live there and there would have been no reason to send Jesus to save people from death back to life.
My new book can be read freely from here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rIkqxC ... xtqFY/view
Old version can be read from here:
http://web.archive.org/web/202212010403 ... x_eng.html
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rIkqxC ... xtqFY/view
Old version can be read from here:
http://web.archive.org/web/202212010403 ... x_eng.html
-
Ray the atheist
- Scholar
- Posts: 355
- Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2026 12:28 pm
- Has thanked: 12 times
- Been thanked: 48 times
Re: Genesis 2–3 Cannot Establish the Need For Christ’s Death
Post #4[Replying to 1213 in post #3]
Thanks, I know about the later theology in the bible.
Those aren't the actual text.
I am exploring the original story, not the interpretations that came later.
The actual text never states that Adam and Eve rejected God.
Lets not talk about what others or we make up about the story.
Lets talk about what it actually says.
Cheers.
________________________________________________P1: Genesis 2–3 does not explicitly establish the theological claims later used to explain Christ’s death.
In a way that is true. According to the Bible, the reason why Jesus died is this:
For to this end Christ died, rose, and lived again, that he might be Lord of both the dead and the living.
Romans 14:9
Most assuredly, I tell you, the hour comes, and now is, when the dead will hear the Son of God's voice; and those who hear will live.
John 5:25
But, if people would not have rejected God in the Garden, people would still live there and there would have been no reason to send Jesus to save people from death back to life.
Thanks, I know about the later theology in the bible.
Those aren't the actual text.
I am exploring the original story, not the interpretations that came later.
The actual text never states that Adam and Eve rejected God.
Lets not talk about what others or we make up about the story.
Lets talk about what it actually says.
Cheers.
I study religiously motivated reasoning. I'm an agnostic atheist and I don't believe in the supernatural or superstitions. I genuinely want to engage your ideas charitably and respectfully. I value critical thinking, empathy, intellectual honesty, and civil disagreement. I am committed to understanding each other’s arguments, remaining open to correction, and discussing arguments rather than attack each other.
-
Ray the atheist
- Scholar
- Posts: 355
- Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2026 12:28 pm
- Has thanked: 12 times
- Been thanked: 48 times
Re: Genesis 2–3 Cannot Establish the Need For Christ’s Death
Post #5[Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #2]
How is a "redeemer" coming to rectify the situation for their offspring implied in Genesis 3:15?
____________________________Genesis chapters 2 and 3 only establishes that the actions of Adam and Eve resulted in their expulsion from the Garden and the loss of what they originally had. That a "redeemer" would come and recrify the situation for their offspring is implied but not explained in Genesis 3:15. The role of Christ would be many thousands of years in the revealing but that there would be further chapters in this story is implicit in the edenic judgements of Genesis 3.
How is a "redeemer" coming to rectify the situation for their offspring implied in Genesis 3:15?
I study religiously motivated reasoning. I'm an agnostic atheist and I don't believe in the supernatural or superstitions. I genuinely want to engage your ideas charitably and respectfully. I value critical thinking, empathy, intellectual honesty, and civil disagreement. I am committed to understanding each other’s arguments, remaining open to correction, and discussing arguments rather than attack each other.
-
bjs1
- Guru
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:18 pm
- Has thanked: 52 times
- Been thanked: 266 times
Re: Genesis 2–3 Cannot Establish the Need For Christ’s Death
Post #6I have never heard anyone claim that Genesis 2-3 on its own is sufficient for determining whether Christianity’s explanation of Christ’s death is true. I don’t think that was its goal.Ray the atheist wrote: ↑Mon Sep 14, 2026 10:11 am C: Genesis 2–3 is insufficient evidence for determining whether Christianity’s explanation of Christ’s death is true.
The third chapter of Genesis establishes the problem(s). People are separated from God. Death is a reality. Shame because of sin is now a thing.
Genesis 3:14 points to the eventual solution. “I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers; he will crush your head, and you will strike his heel.”
We can’t see the fulness of Christ’s sacrifice is that one passage. It only makes sense in retrospect. Once we see how the story ends, then we understand how it began.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin
-Charles Darwin
- 1213
- Savant
- Posts: 13732
- Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:06 am
- Location: Finland
- Has thanked: 544 times
- Been thanked: 528 times
Re: Genesis 2–3 Cannot Establish the Need For Christ’s Death
Post #7It shows they did so by believing the serpent instead of God.Ray the atheist wrote: ↑Tue Sep 15, 2026 8:19 am ...The actual text never states that Adam and Eve rejected God.
...
My new book can be read freely from here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rIkqxC ... xtqFY/view
Old version can be read from here:
http://web.archive.org/web/202212010403 ... x_eng.html
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rIkqxC ... xtqFY/view
Old version can be read from here:
http://web.archive.org/web/202212010403 ... x_eng.html
-
Ray the atheist
- Scholar
- Posts: 355
- Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2026 12:28 pm
- Has thanked: 12 times
- Been thanked: 48 times
Re: Genesis 2–3 Cannot Establish the Need For Christ’s Death
Post #8[Replying to bjs1 in post #6]
That's why the post is so important.
Christians sometimes tell me that there is only one possible reading, and that it's from a Christian perspective because all the information about the reason for Christ having to die is in the story itself.
I debate Christians... you might not debate them.
I have been making arguments about the Adam and Eve story since about mid August .. I have about a dozen arguments, so, I got to hear a lot about how they interpret the story, and the theology that they use.
They all use "Christian" theological explanations that came later than the story itself by about 500 years. And of course, some will cite theologians who came much later than that, as well.
The Adam and Eve story in Genesis 2–3 was written centuries before we see surviving theological interpretations of it. Sirach, written roughly 200–175 BCE, offers an early interpretation involving Eve, sin, and death, approximately 400–600 years after Genesis 2–3. Paul, writing around 50–60 CE, develops a much more extensive theological interpretation connecting Adam, sin, and death, roughly 600–700 years after the Genesis account.
I'm not making a point about those later theological explanations.
My point is way more humble.
I'm just saying that the later theological explanations are external to the actual Gen 2-3 story.
We are all allowed to have our own personal theological explanations.
I am a purely secular person, so I will be using a purely secular interpretation.
Hope that clarifies.
Cheers !!
I have.I have never heard anyone claim that Genesis 2-3 on its own is sufficient for determining whether Christianity’s explanation of Christ’s death is true. I don’t think that was its goal.
That's why the post is so important.
Christians sometimes tell me that there is only one possible reading, and that it's from a Christian perspective because all the information about the reason for Christ having to die is in the story itself.
I debate Christians... you might not debate them.
I have been making arguments about the Adam and Eve story since about mid August .. I have about a dozen arguments, so, I got to hear a lot about how they interpret the story, and the theology that they use.
They all use "Christian" theological explanations that came later than the story itself by about 500 years. And of course, some will cite theologians who came much later than that, as well.
The Adam and Eve story in Genesis 2–3 was written centuries before we see surviving theological interpretations of it. Sirach, written roughly 200–175 BCE, offers an early interpretation involving Eve, sin, and death, approximately 400–600 years after Genesis 2–3. Paul, writing around 50–60 CE, develops a much more extensive theological interpretation connecting Adam, sin, and death, roughly 600–700 years after the Genesis account.
I'm not making a point about those later theological explanations.
My point is way more humble.
I'm just saying that the later theological explanations are external to the actual Gen 2-3 story.
We are all allowed to have our own personal theological explanations.
I am a purely secular person, so I will be using a purely secular interpretation.
Hope that clarifies.
Cheers !!
I study religiously motivated reasoning. I'm an agnostic atheist and I don't believe in the supernatural or superstitions. I genuinely want to engage your ideas charitably and respectfully. I value critical thinking, empathy, intellectual honesty, and civil disagreement. I am committed to understanding each other’s arguments, remaining open to correction, and discussing arguments rather than attack each other.
-
Ray the atheist
- Scholar
- Posts: 355
- Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2026 12:28 pm
- Has thanked: 12 times
- Been thanked: 48 times
Re: Genesis 2–3 Cannot Establish the Need For Christ’s Death
Post #9[Replying to bjs1 in post #6]
Genesis 2–3 describes disobedience, consequences, and mortality, but it does not state that Christ’s death is necessary or required to solve those consequences.
That came later.
In the new testament, Christ dies and then people use theology to explain why.
There's no mention of that in the Gen 2-3 story.
My argument concludes that Genesis 2–3 is insufficient evidence for determining whether Christianity’s theological explanation of Christ’s death is true.
I think you agree with that conclusion.
You need external, later theology for that explanation that you probably hold so dearly.
I need critical thinking based on careful observation of the "facts".
The fact that I am investigating is the actual story, not the later interpretations that a Christian relies on.
The general principle I'm going by seems so simple to me:
An interpretation of a story is not identical with the story.
Do you agree with that general principle?
______________________________________The third chapter of Genesis establishes the problem(s). People are separated from God. Death is a reality. Shame because of sin is now a thing.
Genesis 3:14 points to the eventual solution. “I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers; he will crush your head, and you will strike his heel.”
We can’t see the fulness of Christ’s sacrifice is that one passage. It only makes sense in retrospect. Once we see how the story ends, then we understand how it began.
Genesis 2–3 describes disobedience, consequences, and mortality, but it does not state that Christ’s death is necessary or required to solve those consequences.
That came later.
In the new testament, Christ dies and then people use theology to explain why.
There's no mention of that in the Gen 2-3 story.
My argument concludes that Genesis 2–3 is insufficient evidence for determining whether Christianity’s theological explanation of Christ’s death is true.
I think you agree with that conclusion.
You need external, later theology for that explanation that you probably hold so dearly.
I need critical thinking based on careful observation of the "facts".
The fact that I am investigating is the actual story, not the later interpretations that a Christian relies on.
The general principle I'm going by seems so simple to me:
An interpretation of a story is not identical with the story.
Do you agree with that general principle?
I study religiously motivated reasoning. I'm an agnostic atheist and I don't believe in the supernatural or superstitions. I genuinely want to engage your ideas charitably and respectfully. I value critical thinking, empathy, intellectual honesty, and civil disagreement. I am committed to understanding each other’s arguments, remaining open to correction, and discussing arguments rather than attack each other.
-
Ray the atheist
- Scholar
- Posts: 355
- Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2026 12:28 pm
- Has thanked: 12 times
- Been thanked: 48 times
Re: Genesis 2–3 Cannot Establish the Need For Christ’s Death
Post #10[Replying to 1213 in post #7]
You are making an appeal to interpretation
This occurs when someone treats an interpretation of a text as though the interpretation itself were explicitly stated by the text.
Genesis supports your initial claim that they ate the fruit, but it never states that they “rejected God” or “believed the serpent instead.”
Those are theological interpretations of what happened, not statements found in Genesis.
You’re presenting your interpretation as though the text itself says it, but it don't.
_____________________________________The actual text never states that Adam and Eve rejected God.
...
It shows they did so by believing the serpent instead of God.
You are making an appeal to interpretation
This occurs when someone treats an interpretation of a text as though the interpretation itself were explicitly stated by the text.
Genesis supports your initial claim that they ate the fruit, but it never states that they “rejected God” or “believed the serpent instead.”
Those are theological interpretations of what happened, not statements found in Genesis.
You’re presenting your interpretation as though the text itself says it, but it don't.
I study religiously motivated reasoning. I'm an agnostic atheist and I don't believe in the supernatural or superstitions. I genuinely want to engage your ideas charitably and respectfully. I value critical thinking, empathy, intellectual honesty, and civil disagreement. I am committed to understanding each other’s arguments, remaining open to correction, and discussing arguments rather than attack each other.

