Why is Satan so pathetic?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

stevencarrwork
Apprentice

Why is Satan so pathetic?

Post #1

Post by stevencarrwork »

If I was an evil supernatural immortal being, hell-bent on causing evil, I would be doing a lot more evil than Satan and his legions do. It would be hell out there on planet Earth, if I were Satan.

Is this alleged God putting limits on what this alleged Satan is allowed to do?

If so, then why does Satan obey God's limits?

Smersh
Banned
Banned

Post #2

Post by Smersh »

stevencarrwork
Because God is creator while satan is creature.

Satan can only operate within the framework allowed to him. He and his servants can tempt a person yet the ultimate decision whether to succumb to temptation is always lies with the tempted. Though obviously experience he (satan) and his fellow fallen angels have accumulated during thousands of years makes their temptation very hard to resist. They have intimate knowledge of human psychology and physiology. As The Holy Tradition has it, "a single demon has all the knowledge of the mankind".

Certain prayers make it extremely uncomfortable if not impossible for demons to operate. Sacraments of the Church also provide strong protection.

Nameless

Post #3

Post by Nameless »

Shall we interpret the metaphor of 'satan/enemy' to mean the prideful ego and the 'lies' that it whispers into your ready ear?
This is 'ego food' you gladly 'believe' (after all, you really are special (like mommy tells you), aren't you? Better than others? Smarter? Etc.. right?).
Once infected with the 'belief virus', it will be YOU turning life into hell!
There is no limit to the atrocities and horror that people will commit in the survival, defense and propagation (evangelism, etc..) of their 'beliefs'. Whether a 'belief' in Jeeezus, democracy, materialism, freedom, whatever... the horrendous symptoms are the same across the board.
History, if nothing else, teaches us this.

Now, back to the playground of the absurd; a literal Satan, all anthropomorphised, stomping around and making trouble, and it's all HIS fault! Awww, he tricked you... oh wait, you 'listened' to the lies.... but you wanted/needed to 'believe' them.. 'pride'...
See? You call him 'pathetic' when he's already 'inside you' and you have no idea that he's even there!!
Hahahaha...
*__-
Last edited by Nameless on Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Confused »

Nameless wrote:Can we step from the rudimentary idiot's literalist playground for a moment and delve a bit deeper?

Shall we interpret the metaphor of 'satan/enemy' to mean the prideful ego and the 'lies' that it whispers into your ready ear?
This is 'ego food' you gladly 'believe' (after all, you really are special (like mommy tells you), aren't you? Better than others? Smarter? Etc.. right?).
Once infected with the 'belief virus', it will be YOU turning life into hell!
There is no limit to the atrocities and horror that people will commit in the survival, defense and propagation (evangelism, etc..) of their 'beliefs'. Whether a 'belief' in Jeeezus, democracy, materialism, freedom, whatever... the horrendous symptoms are the same across the board.
History, if nothing else, teaches us this.

Now, back to the playground of the absurd; a literal Satan, all anthropomorphised, stomping around and making trouble, and it's all HIS fault! Awww, he tricked you... oh wait, you 'listened' to the lies.... but you wanted/needed to 'believe' them.. 'pride'...
See? You call him 'pathetic' when he's already a mile up your poop-shute and you have no idea that he's even there!!
Hahahaha...
*__-

Moderator Warning:

Avoid sarcastic and condescending remarks please. You choice of words has given this post a rude undertone and blatant disrespect for the rules.
What we do for ourselves dies with us,
What we do for others and the world remains
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one persons definition of your life; define yourself.

-Harvey Fierstein

Nameless

Post #5

Post by Nameless »

Confused wrote: Moderator Warning:

Avoid sarcastic and condescending remarks please. You choice of words has given this post a rude undertone and blatant disrespect for the rules.
Sorry, dear, I didn't mean to offend delicate sensitivities.
There, I edited it. Feel better? Heaven forbid one honestly calls a spade a spade..
Shall I donate all my tokens to a worthy cause as pennance?
*__-

Fallibleone
Guru

Post #6

Post by Fallibleone »

:roll:

stevencarrwork
Apprentice

Post #7

Post by stevencarrwork »

Smersh wrote:
stevencarrwork
Because God is creator while satan is creature.

Satan can only operate within the framework allowed to him.
Much like Hitler could only operate within the framework allowed to him by God?
Smersh wrote:
He and his servants can tempt a person yet the ultimate decision whether to succumb to temptation is always lies with the tempted. Though obviously experience he (satan) and his fellow fallen angels have accumulated during thousands of years makes their temptation very hard to resist. They have intimate knowledge of human psychology and physiology. As The Holy Tradition has it, "a single demon has all the knowledge of the mankind".

Certain prayers make it extremely uncomfortable if not impossible for demons to operate. Sacraments of the Church also provide strong protection.
A pity God doesn't know those certain prayers, or perhaps he doesn't like to interfere with Satan.

micatala
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by micatala »

Moderator Note
Nameless wrote:
Confused wrote: Moderator Warning:

Sorry, dear, I didn't mean to offend delicate sensitivities.
There, I edited it. Feel better? Heaven forbid one honestly calls a spade a spade..
Shall I donate all my tokens to a worthy cause as pennance?
*__-
I would remind Nameless that questions or challenges to moderator decisions should be made via private message to the moderator or a member of the moderating team.
" . . . the line separating good and evil passes, not through states, nor between classes, nor between political parties either, but right through every human heart . . . ." Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Smersh
Banned
Banned

Post #9

Post by Smersh »

stevencarrwork
Indeed. We ourselves define the amount of license satan and demons have on us.

Even though I am a bit uneasy with this positioning of Hitler as the supreme evil. I can certainly think of more evil rulers.
A pity God doesn't know those certain prayers, or perhaps he doesn't like to interfere with Satan.
Not only God knows these prayers, He gave them to us via inspiration by The Holy Spirit. God doesn't interfere with satan because He doesn't interfere with our free will. Yet, He would not leave His faithful in jeopardy if we ask Him. And He clearly observes so that satan cannot make us do things, he can only tempt.

Smersh
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by Smersh »

stevencarrwork
Indeed. We ourselves define the amount of license satan and demons have on us.

Even though I am a bit uneasy with this positioning of Hitler as the supreme evil. I can certainly think of more evil rulers.
Not only God knows these prayers, He gave them to us via inspiration by The Holy Spirit. God doesn't interfere with satan because He doesn't interfere with our free will. Yet, He would not leave His faithful in jeopardy if we ask Him. And He clearly observes so that satan cannot make us do things, he can only tempt.