To my fellow freethinkers

Where agnostics and atheists can freely discuss

Moderator: Moderators

Rathpig
Sage

To my fellow freethinkers

Post #1

Post by Rathpig »

It seems I have become rather bored with this forum after only a brief sojourn. Does it get any better than the simple theists that I have encountered thus far? My major complaint, and by no means unique to this location, is that the theists run away at the least presentation of evidence. They are a skittish lot.

I feel out of place rehashing the numerous topics that I have throughout my life beat to death, so my thread-starting count has remained low.

Am I missing some element of this forum that is nuanced outside my perceptions?

It seems you have one or two completely psychotic theist fellows and a small contingent of U.S. American Dominionist Patriot Actors. Those are fine categories of fish, but staid in their concepts. The nutters are fun, but not Fun. If you follow my meaning.

Help me here please. Show me your entertainment if at all possible. Are any of the atheists present self-identified as communists, anarchists, or American libertarians so I can at least argue at your expense?

Confused
Site Supporter

Re: To my fellow freethinkers

Post #2

Post by Confused »

Rathpig wrote:It seems I have become rather bored with this forum after only a brief sojourn. Does it get any better than the simple theists that I have encountered thus far? My major complaint, and by no means unique to this location, is that the theists run away at the least presentation of evidence. They are a skittish lot.

I feel out of place rehashing the numerous topics that I have throughout my life beat to death, so my thread-starting count has remained low.

Am I missing some element of this forum that is nuanced outside my perceptions?

It seems you have one or two completely psychotic theist fellows and a small contingent of U.S. American Dominionist Patriot Actors. Those are fine categories of fish, but staid in their concepts. The nutters are fun, but not Fun. If you follow my meaning.

Help me here please. Show me your entertainment if at all possible. Are any of the atheists present self-identified as communists, anarchists, or American libertarians so I can at least argue at your expense?
My suggestion would be to stick around. The holidays tend to take attention away from the forum a bit.
Yes, we have our religous nuts just like we have our non-religious nuts. But give it time. You will learn who you can have a stimulating debate with and who is worthy of a comment here or there, but not anything worthwhile.
What we do for ourselves dies with us,
What we do for others and the world remains
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one persons definition of your life; define yourself.

-Harvey Fierstein

upallnite
Sage

Post #3

Post by upallnite »

Are any of the atheists present self-identified as communists, anarchists, or American libertarians so I can at least argue at your expense?
Atheist........Check
Present........Sometimes
Communist...negative
Anarchist......negative
American......Check, US Marine also.
Libertarian....Check

Rathpig
Sage

Post #4

Post by Rathpig »

upallnite wrote:Libertarian....Check
Austrian School market worshiper? Or student of freedom?

I myself am a student of freedom and trend toward the libertine, but this is far removed from the U.S. version of Libertarian. I am by no means a Corporatist and a Free Marketeer.

Just curious since this is not a political forum.

Cephus
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by Cephus »

You're probably not going to get any good debates here, I can't tell you the last time I've talked to a rational theist who has been interested in actually debating. No matter what you do, they're going to ignore it and pretend their silly beliefs are true. That's simply the reality of debating with theists.

That's why I don't spend as much time here as I used to, I've got other forums that are more general purpose. You can debate religion, you can debate politics, you can talk about just about anything and when you get bored with one, there are others.

You might want to take a look at www.volconvo.com, they're very libertarian-oriented, you'd probably find a lot of people you agreed with to talk to.

Rathpig
Sage

Post #6

Post by Rathpig »

Thanks Cephus,

I will investigate this linked forum. I also am a member of numerous debate venues, so any new avenue will be explored. My home of the now: http://rantsnraves.org/index.php

What, if anything, can be done to liven this forum? My normal gregarious nature is somewhat restrained here, but that only calls to my creative intellect.

I am a stubborn sot. Can we charge up a bit of action?

upallnite
Sage

Post #7

Post by upallnite »

Rathpig wrote:
upallnite wrote:Libertarian....Check
Austrian School market worshiper? Or student of freedom?

I myself am a student of freedom and trend toward the libertine, but this is far removed from the U.S. version of Libertarian. I am by no means a Corporatist and a Free Marketeer.

Just curious since this is not a political forum.
I do not know what a "student of freedom is. I lean libertine because I do not like other peoples morals to dictate my life or the rest of society and I prefer all the diverse cultures to be able to express themselves. As long as someones actions do not extend to harming others then I do not think laws should be created to prevent their actions.

I do not think the government should interfere with the "free" market. I do make exceptions for ensuring that a monopoly does not occur and that fair business practices are upheld. But I definitely do not like when the government uses tax dollars to bail out a failing business.

I do not like interfering in other governments. I make exception to this when our assistance is requested or when natural disasters render the government incapable of helping it's own people. Otherwise I do not like fighting their wars for them or protecting their interests with our money and military. If their people do not like their leaders then they need to do something about it or find a place they like better. I seam to recall Canada being the only country that got their independence by asking nicely. (could be wrong)

Rathpig
Sage

Post #8

Post by Rathpig »

upallnite wrote: I do not know what a "student of freedom is.
That comment is probably out of context here, but I have used it so much that I sometimes fail to explain.

I honestly think that "freedom" is something that can only be studied. It can't, in the present stage of human evolution, be experienced. We often hear people talk about how the United States is a "free" country and supports "freedom" and "democracy"; however all this is hollow propaganda. The Corporatist slavery machine vomits up such jingoisms as "Freedom isn't Free" and "The Troops fight for Our Freedom". All this is a horrible lie and only makes a modicum of sense if you contrast it with a worse system. Of course, compared to Kunta Kenta, freedom is a matter of degree. Let's not delude ourselves and assume that free is freedom.

The U.S. is a slave state in so many different ways that it bristles at my philosophical nature not to at least take a back-handed swipe at the concept. Should we ask all those who are imprisoned for the political crime of substance possession and violation of the Corporate Order about freedom? Should we ask the wage-slaves who have neither access to an meaningful education or any ability to sustain their health if they are free?

Sorry to get preachy on the topic. I just wanted to clarify. We do have it "good", but that doesn't preclude "better". The one thing that can not be externally enslaved is one's mind. It is a horrible shame that so many volunteer for such servitude.

upallnite
Sage

Post #9

Post by upallnite »

I honestly think that "freedom" is something that can only be studied. It can't, in the present stage of human evolution, be experienced.
I have no problem agreeing that freedom is a concept.
"The Troops fight for Our Freedom"
I always hated this one when I was sitting in the sand and reading a letter from one of my friends. "Who's freedom am I fighting for", I would think.
Sorry to get preachy on the topic. I just wanted to clarify. We do have it "good", but that doesn't preclude "better". The one thing that can not be externally enslaved is one's mind. It is a horrible shame that so many volunteer for such servitude.
Your not in a debate forum, so have at it.
Should we ask all those who are imprisoned for the political crime of substance possession and violation of the Corporate Order about freedom? Should we ask the wage-slaves who have neither access to an meaningful education or any ability to sustain their health if they are free?
I will try to get back to this this weekend. I just ran out of time at work.

Rathpig
Sage

Post #10

Post by Rathpig »

I have friends that have return from recent Iraqi deployments with the following sage wisdom on their tongues:

"We are all mercenaries, and this is a War on Terra. Some of us are just paid worse than others."