Is Christianity a cult

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

bernee51
Site Supporter

Is Christianity a cult

Post #1

Post by bernee51 »

A cult can be simply defined as a system or community of religious worship and ritual. In that sense christianity would fit the bill.

However the word cult has, in recent times, taken on more perjorative connotations and is often seen as something undesirsable from which devotees have had to be rescued then 'de-programmed'

It could be said that members of a cult have lost the ability to think for themselves. They abandon rational, critical thinking.

It is requisite that they do not have any thoughts that are different from their leadership. True Christians (TM) follow their leader (Jesus) to the exclusion of all others. It could be said that they do not question what their leader says, and are willing to do ANYTHING they are told to do for salvation.

Cult members will deeply and sincerely believe that they have found the truth, and that they are strongly defensive when they are confronted on areas of their beliefs.

Also, you know that people who are in cults always deny that they are in a cult... ;)

So could christianity (or elements thereof) be considered a cult?

Lotan
Guru

Post #2

Post by Lotan »

Christianity shares many (if not all) of the characteristics of a cult.
bernee51 wrote:It could be said that members of a cult have lost the ability to think for themselves. They abandon rational, critical thinking.
That's because Christianity is also a meme.
And the LORD repented of the evil which he thought to do unto His people. Exodus 32:14

scorpia
Sage

Post #3

Post by scorpia »

'Belief is never giving up.'- Random footy adverisement.

Sometimes even a wise man is wrong. Sometimes even a fool is right.

richic
Apprentice

Post #4

Post by richic »

Other than worshiping a human leader and the mind numbing work routines, it fits the cult 101 description.

Okay so what's the punchline? I'm assuming this is a rhetorical trap.

BALLS2WALL
Student

Post #5

Post by BALLS2WALL »

Well if you break it down like that sure it is sort of a cult. Not like black nikes on heavens gate drinking the magic punch so the mother ship can come for us cult..... but cult

Corvus
Guru

Re: Is Christianity a cult

Post #6

Post by Corvus »

bernee51 wrote: So could christianity (or elements thereof) be considered a cult?
The difference between a religion and a cult in modern day parlance is usually one of size and social acceptability. Strangely, cults like Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons frequently escape this designation from the simple act of hiding under the umbrella of the Christian religion, though, from what I understand, they are quite different, and even heterodox.
<i>'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'</i>
-John Keats, Ode on a Grecian Urn.

bernee51
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by bernee51 »

richic wrote:Other than worshiping a human leader...
Jesus was human was he not? He resurrected did he not? He is still alive is he not?
richic wrote: and the mind numbing work routines,
Looking at some of the bible study done by christians...mind numbing would be an apt description ;)

richic wrote: it fits the cult 101 description.
like a glove
richic wrote: Okay so what's the punchline? I'm assuming this is a rhetorical trap.
No trap from this end - the cult is the trap. I'm just seeking opinions...and offering a way out of the 'cult trap'

bernee51
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by bernee51 »

Corvus wrote:
bernee51 wrote: So could christianity (or elements thereof) be considered a cult?
The difference between a religion and a cult in modern day parlance is usually one of size and social acceptability. Strangely, cults like Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons frequently escape this designation from the simple act of hiding under the umbrella of the Christian religion, though, from what I understand, they are quite different, and even heterodox.
So if it is socially acceptable it is no longer a cult. That would seem reasonable except that many of the 'problems' that afflict cult members remain extant despite the social acceptability.

Some of the Mormons I have spoken to freely acknowledge that their particular brand of christianity iis a cult.

Corvus
Guru

Post #9

Post by Corvus »

bernee51 wrote:
Corvus wrote:
So if it is socially acceptable it is no longer a cult. That would seem reasonable except that many of the 'problems' that afflict cult members remain extant despite the social acceptability.
Sure enough. Scientology, in the public perception, would probably be considered a religion now after gaining very many members and having the patronage of several celebrities, but it's still quite a silly and rapacious faith.

Also, you stated outright that "A cult can be simply defined as a system or community of religious worship and ritual", which is close enough to the definitions in my 1960s Oxford and much newer pocket oxford, so not all cults are ...well, "cultish". I should note here that the former book gives an alternate definite for cult as simply a "passing fad", while my pocket Oxford states cult is "especially used to denote a transient fad".

It could be said that members of a cult have lost the ability to think for themselves. They abandon rational, critical thinking.

It is requisite that they do not have any thoughts that are different from their leadership. True Christians (TM) follow their leader (Jesus) to the exclusion of all others. It could be said that they do not question what their leader says, and are willing to do ANYTHING they are told to do for salvation.

Cult members will deeply and sincerely believe that they have found the truth, and that they are strongly defensive when they are confronted on areas of their beliefs.
I mostly agree, except I think Christians can think for themselves - at least to some extent. I would say there are many people on this forum who do very well thinking for themselves. Also, most Christians out in the world require no direction in going about their daily lives in their chosen professions or fields of study or paying their rent and bank bills.
<i>'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'</i>
-John Keats, Ode on a Grecian Urn.

bernee51
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by bernee51 »

Corvus wrote: except I think Christians can think for themselves - at least to some extent. I would say there are many people on this forum who do very well thinking for themselves.
I certainly am with you here. Many of the christians on this forum (and others) can clearly think for themselves. Perhaps the key phrases are 'rational' and 'critical thinking". I can't help but think of the claims of the bible- walking on water, parting of the Red Sea, sticks to snakes, Jonah and the whale, Noah and the Ark, raising people from the dead etc. Do some otherwise intelligent people accept these things without question or critical thinking?
Corvus wrote: Also, most Christians out in the world require no direction in going about their daily lives in their chosen professions or fields of study or paying their rent and bank bills.
Unless they are pharmacists who have been told they cannot sell contraceptives, or doctors who are told they cannot perform abortions, or bankers who (as in Islam) cannot charge interest.