Is it "sinful" to look at photos of unclothed huma

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Is it "sinful" to look at photos of unclothed humans?

Yes
15%
No
85%

Total votes: 26

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Is it "sinful" to look at photos of unclothed huma

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

Zzyzx wrote:"Are you suggesting that "god" is NOT willing to forgive if a person repeats the same 'sin' too often?"
Grand Pbuh wrote:Yes I think so since repeating the sin too often suggests no real repentance in the first place. Like times I have told God I'm sorry for looking at naked women on the Internet then turn around and do it again, over and over. I'm not really sorry, I'm just saying sorry to use like a lucky charm against punishment.
The implication by Grand Pbuh is that looking at nude photographs is "sinful" and requires "repentance" and "forgiveness".

Questions for debate:

1. Do you agree or disagree or offer a different answer? Explain your reasoning.

2. Under what conditions is looking at nude photos "sinful" (or evil, or undesirable)?

3. What biblical instruction prohibits looking at photos?

4. Is it also "sinful" for a religious person to look at unclothed people in person?

5. Is it "wrong" (or "sinful") for a non-religious person to look at nude people or photos? Who makes that determination?

6. Is it more "sinful" to look at photos than to look at actual unclothed people or vice versa?

7. Must one stop looking at nude photos or people completely in order to be "forgiven"?

8. Is this issue an example of human behavior or nature being condemned by religion?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Grand Pbuh
Apprentice

Re: Is it "sinful" to look at photos of unclothed

Post #21

Post by Grand Pbuh »

Beto wrote:I tickle my pickle.
Masturbation is sex with yourself and since you are the same sex as yourself, masturbation is homosexuality and forbidden in the Bible. As well as by my own sensibilities.
Beto wrote: Me, I never lust. I get off on their occasional image and go about my business without longing for them in more real ways (actual lust), which is what usually happens when people repress their sexual urges long enough and keep "thanking God". I don't think guilt is something to be thankful of, but that's me.
Not sure I buy that you never lust. But prayer removes my guilt when it overcomes unhealthy desire, which is lust, which is never satisfied with more lust, only increased by it.
Beto wrote: Funny how you lump all those things together in there, as if no moderation is possible by sensible people. Some folks are addicted to sex, but that doesn't mean there's something inherently wrong with it. Some people get angry a lot, etc, etc. You may have addiction genes, or you may have had a deficient education, but you're probably old enough to recognize that those are the likely culprits to your problems, and not sex, anger, parties, or alcohol.
The likely culprit is that I like to feel good and feel as good as I can as much as I can. So the trick is to replace unhealthy ways of feeling good with healthier ones. Prayer works for me when other ways don't quite cut it, depending on the problem.
Beto wrote: Not everyone is willing to trade one addiction over another.
Which is like saying you aren't willing to trade junk food addiction for a healthier diet of fruits and vegetables.
Unless otherwise noted, comments about God are statements of belief only.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #22

Post by Goat »

Grand Pbuh wrote:
Masturbation is sex with yourself and since you are the same sex as yourself, masturbation is homosexuality and forbidden in the Bible. As well as by my own sensibilities.
Well, it's 'spilling of one's seed', and is considered to be the sin of Onan. It's not what the sin is , in context.. but it is not homosexuality, definitely. You seem to like making up new meanings for terms. That really doesn't work for communication though. The Jewish scriptures seem much more concerned with male sexual behavior than the behavior of women. Then , of course, you have to ask 'why should a reinterpretation of restrictions of tribal group of people from 3500 years ago be valid in today's society.

Some people might have sexual hangups, but that does not mean they should project their hangups onto other people.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Beto

Post #23

Post by Beto »

Grand Pbuh wrote:
I couldn't care less about your "sensibilities", aka phobias, but you should know sexual orientations refer to attraction over other individuals.
Grand Pbuh wrote:Not sure I buy that you never lust.
That's your problem.
Grand Pbuh wrote:The likely culprit is that I like to feel good and feel as good as I can as much as I can. So the trick is to replace unhealthy ways of feeling good with healthier ones. Prayer works for me when other ways don't quite cut it, depending on the problem.
Cocaine works for some, heroin for others, prayer for others. "Health" is measured in many ways. A mind addicted to prayer is not a healthy one.
Grand Pbuh wrote:
Beto wrote:Not everyone is willing to trade one addiction over another.
Which is like saying you aren't willing to trade junk food addiction for a healthier diet of fruits and vegetables.
No, it's not like saying that at all. Addiction to prayer is not healthy even as a replacement for other addictions.

Blaze
Site Supporter

Post #24

Post by Blaze »

Grand Pbuh wrote: Masturbation is sex with yourself and since you are the same sex as yourself, masturbation is homosexuality and forbidden in the Bible. As well as by my own sensibilities.
Just curious... is this your personal position, or does your brand of religion teach this? However, following your line of reason, wouldn't it make you bisexual rather than homosexual? Unless of course your celibate.

Grand Pbuh
Apprentice

Post #25

Post by Grand Pbuh »

Blaze wrote:
Grand Pbuh wrote: Masturbation is sex with yourself and since you are the same sex as yourself, masturbation is homosexuality and forbidden in the Bible. As well as by my own sensibilities.
Just curious... is this your personal position, or does your brand of religion teach this? However, following your line of reason, wouldn't it make you bisexual rather than homosexual? Unless of course your celibate.
It's just common sense. Homosexual behavior is just that, it doesn't require labeling a person either/or for engaging in it.

Grand Pbuh
Apprentice

Post #26

Post by Grand Pbuh »

Beto wrote:I couldn't care less about your "sensibilities", aka phobias, but you should know sexual orientations refer to attraction over other individuals.
Sometimes I am attracted to ice cream over a nice apple, but the apple is better for me.
Beto wrote: Cocaine works for some, heroin for others, prayer for others. "Health" is measured in many ways. A mind addicted to prayer is not a healthy one.
Of course not. Neither is addiction to not eating -- anorexia or bulimia -- healthier over addiction to food. But non-addictive use of prayer, or cutting back on food, etc. is a good thing.
Beto wrote: No, it's not like saying that at all. Addiction to prayer is not healthy even as a replacement for other addictions.
Which only shows that you believe solving one addiction requires another addiction to replace it. Not a fantastic argument.

Grand Pbuh
Apprentice

Post #27

Post by Grand Pbuh »

goat wrote:but it is not homosexuality, definitely.
If you are a guy pleasuring yourself, you are a guy pleasuring a guy which is most definitive gay.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #28

Post by Goat »

Grand Pbuh wrote:
If you are a guy pleasuring yourself, you are a guy pleasuring a guy which is most definitive gay.
Shrug. I see you love to make up definitions that no one else uses. That is your hangup, not anybody else.

You will not find any dictionary, any religious text , any psychology journal that will equate masturbation with homosexual activity. That says more about you anything.I
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Grand Pbuh
Apprentice

Post #29

Post by Grand Pbuh »

goat wrote:
Grand Pbuh wrote:
Shrug. I see you love to make up definitions that no one else uses. That is your hangup, not anybody else.

You will not find any dictionary, any religious text , any psychology journal that will equate masturbation with homosexual activity. That says more about you anything.I
If you are a guy pleasuring yourself, are you pleasuring a guy? Simple question.

Dragon
Apprentice

Post #30

Post by Dragon »

Grand Pbuh wrote:If you are a guy pleasuring yourself, are you pleasuring a guy? Simple question.
Simple answer - you are pleasuring yourself. Homosexuality needs two to play.

This is really too stupid for words...
Desire for such a deity sprang from infantile yearnings for a powerful, protective father, for justice and fairness and for life to go on forever. God is simply a projection of these desires... - Sigmund Freud