Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

Rose2020
Scholar

Gun laws

Post #1

Post by Rose2020 »

In America.
So, do those who insist on their rights to own guns still feel the same after this latest appalling incident?

As an Englishwoman in the UK, I have never understood this mentality of Americans. Why would the average citizen want a gun?

Sherlock Holmes

Re: Gun laws

Post #31

Post by Sherlock Holmes »

There are no federal laws about locking guns away:

States with Firearm Laws Designed to Protect Children.

Sherlock Holmes

Post #32

I fear there is actually nothing that can be done in the US now, it is a Pandora's box that once opened cannot be closed.

The country is awash with guns, the Dem and Reps are useless, always deadlocking over stuff, nobody can do anything about guns now, it really is too late, all we can do is watch these periodic mass acts of barbarity.

The gun lobby (which is all the NRA is) has been free to act and do its stuff for too long, gun manufacturers benefit hugely from the NRA, the general public? Nothing, we - the people - do not need the NRA, they serve no purpose we already have a constitutional right. The NRA do nothing more than facilitate the gun makers, it is their interests they represent not Joe Public.

I think people could be encouraged to discontinue their NRA membership, that - if enough people did it - might have some impact.

This is five years old: John Oliver a Brit in the US who does not pull his punches:

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #33

Post by AgnosticBoy »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:42 am The semi-automatic AR15 rifles are an obscenity, they should be outlawed period, fully automatic weapons ("machine guns") are already banned for general public purchase and I don't see the far right gun maniacs ever complaining about that, so lets just extend the ban and move on.
As a more moderate position, I wouldn't say semi-automatic rifles should be banned, but rather their magazine capacity should be limited. Ban or restrict clips that hold 30 bullets (standard assault rifles). Instead, limit their capacity to that of a handgun (about 10 to 14 bullets in a clip).

I also say this because people tend to pick on the AR 15 because it is used a lot in mass shootings. But even if that's not available, what if handguns start being used more, then will we also say ban handguns?
- Proud forum owner ∣ The Agnostic Forum

- As a non-partisan, I like to be on the side of truth. - AB

Diogenes
Guru

Post #34

Post by Diogenes »

Gunshot wounds we should show the U. S. Senate every day it is in session until they act to ban military weapons:
https://www.google.com/search?q=gunshot ... 2Xz9vlhLYM
Last edited by Diogenes on Sat May 28, 2022 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Before You Embark On A Journey Of Revenge, Dig Two Graves

— Confucius

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #35

Post by Rose2020 »

Lots of information there, thanks.
Interesting and yet horrifying to an elderly Englishwoman! I am the type so law abiding who feels guilty and frightened even around police. Different culture here, we just cannot imagine being armed.
I bet it changes any person's psychology, knowing they have the means to kill and maim anyone they like. I can imagine a young boy of 18 feels like God himself, when armed as this one was. How terrible. He took young children's lives as well as a teacher whose four own little ones are now without parents as their daddy died of grief. It has devastated a whole community and made Americans question the wisdom of gun ownership.

Sherlock Holmes

Post #36

Rose2020 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 12:56 pm Lots of information there, thanks.
Interesting and yet horrifying to an elderly Englishwoman! I am the type so law abiding who feels guilty and frightened even around police. Different culture here, we just cannot imagine being armed.
I bet it changes any person's psychology, knowing they have the means to kill and maim anyone they like. I can imagine a young boy of 18 feels like God himself, when armed as this one was. How terrible. He took young children's lives as well as a teacher whose four own little ones are now without parents as their daddy died of grief. It has devastated a whole community and made Americans question the wisdom of gun ownership.
British policing is predicated on a largely unarmed criminal world and to a huge extent that worked for years even well into the 70s when I was still in my teens.

But even the UK is falling victim these days, unlike the US the criminals are using guns far more and can get them far more easily than in the past whereas the public are all but denied access.

Frequently we hear news from Britain of an unnamed police officer having to confront thugs armed with guns, they cannot possibly get much of an upper hand in these cases.

Anyway, let me leave you with this:

Not a gun in sight!

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #37

Post by Athetotheist »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 1:34 pm
Rose2020 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 12:56 pm Lots of information there, thanks.
British policing is predicated on a largely unarmed criminal world and to a huge extent that worked for years even well into the 70s when I was still in my teens.

But even the UK is falling victim these days, unlike the US the criminals are using guns far more and can get them far more easily than in the past whereas the public are all but denied access.

Frequently we hear news from Britain of an unnamed police officer having to confront thugs armed with guns, they cannot possibly get much of an upper hand in these cases.

Anyway, let me leave you with this:

Not a gun in sight!
If you think more guns are the solution, you're wrong. Don't be fooled by the clever slogans; an armed society is not a polite society.

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Post #38

Post by Inquirer »

Personally I'm all for gun control. If there's a gun around I want to control it.

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #39

Post by Athetotheist »

"The only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun."

Hogwash.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #40

Post by Purple Knight »

Rose2020 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 5:01 am So, in America do those who own guns for self defence not trust their own country's policing?
If not, what is law enforcement for?
They exist to make money like every other profession. Enforcement is not taken lightly. In a nation of rebels that worships rebellion, the authority is so easily marked as the bad guy that it's easy for them to fall into simply not doing anything. It makes it worse that sometimes they are the bad guy. For every nasty racist police officer who smothers a black guy, a billion fingers will be pointed at the guy who's just trying to do his job. So sometimes he just doesn't. I would say more often than not actually... because, between the one who will shy away and the fellow who said he would do his job regardless of politics, the latter got caught in the crossfire and sacked.