Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

Murder of abortion provider George Tiller

Post #1

Post by otseng »

http://www.kansas.com/946/story/834444.html
With one bullet, a gunman ended the life and the controversial career of abortion doctor George Tiller, killing him as he stood in the foyer of his church Sunday.

Tiller, 67, was shot once just after 10 a.m. Sunday as he stood in the lobby of Reformation Lutheran Church, 7601 E. 13th St., where he was serving as an usher. The gunman threatened to shoot two men who tried to apprehend him.

Although Wichita police would not name the suspect, the Johnson County Sheriff's Office identified him as Scott P. Roeder, according to the Associated Press.
For debate:
Was Roeder justified in killing Tiller?

bernee51
Site Supporter

Post #41

Post by bernee51 »

Carico wrote:
bernee51 wrote:
MagusYanam wrote: It isn't wrong because the foetus is a full human being and entitled to the same legal rights,...
At what stage in gestation does the foetus become a 'full human being'?
MagusYanam wrote: ...it's wrong because the relationship a good parent is supposed to have to her child is cut off by abortion, ...
Perhaps the 'relationship' was never 'good'?
MagusYanam wrote:....and often for reasons of convenience (which I find repugnant).
Perhaps the convcenience was the likelihood of the child (or other children)starving to death

MagusYanam wrote: I can understand if it's like the situation in Brazil a couple of months ago where the mother was probably going to die if she carried the foeti to term and the foeti would not have survived in any case, ...
And what of the case of the child who was raped and impregnated by by her (step?)father? Should she have abortion avialable to her?
MagusYanam wrote:...and I'm not about to take an absolutist line against abortion,/...
You opening line seems rather absolutist.

MagusYanam wrote:..... but neither am I going to take up the position that abortion should be available as an absolute right (without consideration of other responsibilities).
What absolute right have you got to dictate to others on what they can and cannot do with their bodies.
A "full"human being? :shock: What about a soldier who has a limb or 2 shot off? Is he not a "full" human being? Or a little girl born with 4 toes instead of 5? Or perhaps a little child who hasn't yet grown into an adult?
Lets' see how many logical fallacies we can come up with...

Last time I looked all the examples you mentioned were well past gestation. Your statement is a non sequitor. Do you know what that is?

That's one
Carico wrote: Is today's world going to mimic the Nazi's who decided who should live and who should die? Who's genetically or biologically superior and inferior?
Straw man.

That's two.
Carico wrote: These are the insidious kinds of "rationalizations" used to commit murder of the unwanted in society.
Slippery slope

That's three
Carico wrote: :roll: A fertilized egg has all the ingredients of a unique, separate human being.
Unsupported claim

That's four.
Carico wrote:
And all human beings are in different stages of development. So there is never any justification for killing any human being who has committed no crime, least of all unborn babies who are the most helpless and innocent of all human beings.
Appeal to emotion

That's five.
Carico wrote:
So since over 50,000,000 babies have been killed since Roe vs. Wade, then abortion is the single biggest crime in human history and will never stop because, unlike any war or mass murder in history, no government in the world sees anything wrong with it.
Hasty generalization

That's six

Well done.
"Whatever you are totally ignorant of, assert to be the explanation of everything else"

William James quoting Dr. Hodgson

"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."

Nisargadatta Maharaj