Post by Furrowed Brow »

Goat
Site Supporter

Re: Doctors want right to talk faith!

Post #2

Post by Goat »

Furrowed Brow wrote:Doctors want right to talk faith

Should they get it?
The key point is 'as they handle the issue sensitively.' When my father was being treated for emphysema, one doctor asked him if he found Jesus. Being that my father was Jewish, and it was on his chart, it was very intrusive.

My father never when back to that particular doctor.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Furrowed Brow
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Furrowed Brow »

I think it is probably out of a fear of that kind of pushiness that meant there was a ban.

There is also othe thought that people in hospital are often vunerable, and on regular occasion facing the end of their life. It is distasteful and predatory (on one view) to be touting religion to such folk.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Goat »

Furrowed Brow wrote:I think it is probably out of a fear of that kind of pushiness that meant there was a ban.

There is also othe thought that people in hospital are often vunerable, and on regular occasion facing the end of their life. It is distasteful and predatory (on one view) to be touting religion to such folk.
On the other hand, it gives some people comfort.

I think it is ok.. .. IF the patient brings up the subject first.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

TheTurkey
Student

Post #5

Post by TheTurkey »

:confused2: I'm sort of baffled here. Its not the doctors job to worry about spiritual needs... well its sorta where do you draw the line on that isn't it?

Say a man or woman had an accident and lost the use of one of their limbs. Now the doctor comes in and tells them there is a surgury that can restore use of the limb, for the most part, but its very costly. The woman/man's insurance won't cover enough of the cost, so they can't afford the surgury. Now the doctor knows of a way that the surgury can be done for her due to some legal law however instead of telling her he says "Worrying about your financial needs isn't my job sorry," and walks out.

Now of course this is a dramaticization that would never happen. The point I'm trying to make is that a good doctor is one that worries about his patient not as a slab of meat but a human being. And as such they'll be concerned with other needs other then their physical ones. Should they be denied the right to offer comfort? No. Should they respect the wishes of their patients if they say "No thank you I'd rather not hear that" of course.

Just my two cents >.>

Homicidal_Cherry53
Sage

Post #6

Post by Homicidal_Cherry53 »

As long as the patient doesn't have a problem with it, but the patient's wishes must be respected. If the doctor praying for them gives them comfort, then there is nothing wrong with that.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by McCulloch »

It is the physician's job to provide the most suitable proven treatments for whatever ails his patients. Prayer is not part of a proven treatment program for any identified disease. I would have the same problem if a certified investment adviser consulted astrological charts or if a lawyer who is being paid to represent me used necromancy in preparing a defense.

If a patient wants alternative treatments, then the patient should seek practitioners of such treatments.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Coyotero
Scholar

Post #8

Post by Coyotero »

Religion is for church.

If I want a sermon, I'll talk to a preacher. If I want medical treatment, I'll talk to a doctor. If I want to talk to a doctor about religion, I'll meet a doctor at church.

Homicidal_Cherry53
Sage

Post #9

Post by Homicidal_Cherry53 »

McCulloch wrote:It is the physician's job to provide the most suitable proven treatments for whatever ails his patients. Prayer is not part of a proven treatment program for any identified disease. I would have the same problem if a certified investment adviser consulted astrological charts or if a lawyer who is being paid to represent me used necromancy in preparing a defense.
This is hardly the same thing. These doctors aren't saying we'll pray for you, but if it doesn't work you're screwed. They're providing the same treatment, but offering the patient a prayer or a kind word (like God is always with you) to comfort them.

scottlittlefield17
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by scottlittlefield17 »

I made a mistake, see next post.
Last edited by scottlittlefield17 on Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Life is really simple as far as I’m concerned. There is no luck, you work hard and study things intently. If you do that for long and hard enough you’re successful.�
"The more well versed in a skill that someone is the luckier they seem to be."