Prophecy Explained

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

mtbike61384
Student

Prophecy Explained

Post #1

Post by mtbike61384 »

I stumbled across this website and thought that it was right on. Check it out and we can debate it.

http://www.bibleprophecytruth.com/

Coyotero
Scholar

Post #2

Post by Coyotero »

Most religions have some degree of prophesy to them. How can we pick one and disregard all the others?

Thousands of people have claimed that "the end times are near" throughout the centuries. None of them have been right. If you ask me, the people running this website are nothing but hucksters looking to profit from the fears of the faithful.

kayky
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by kayky »

Evidently we've been living in the end times for 2000 years.

bernee51
Site Supporter

Re: Prophecy Explained

Post #4

Post by bernee51 »

mtbike61384 wrote:I stumbled across this website and thought that it was right on. Check it out and we can debate it.

http://www.bibleprophecytruth.com/
Debate what?
"Whatever you are totally ignorant of, assert to be the explanation of everything else"

William James quoting Dr. Hodgson

"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."

Nisargadatta Maharaj

mtbike61384
Student

Post #5

Post by mtbike61384 »

Debate whether or not you believe that the topics they list are legit or not.

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by Cathar1950 »

I have not looked at the site yet, but I will.

My understanding of the ideas about prophesy doesn't really put much into the predictive function of prophesy. It looks like a very bad track record if we are going to get picky. There is also the interpretation of prophesy which varies as well as if we followed the guidelines in Deuteronomy, a 7th century BCE invention, hardly any used prophesies would or could count given the long ranged use by believers and the fact that most of the prophetic activity took place before the so-called historical writings and the writings were invented to replace the prophetic activity after it fell from power with the temple cult and cult of David.

Mostly prophesy was a call to response or a declaration of God spoken by the prophet, the rest are the invention of the believers.

bernee51
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by bernee51 »

mtbike61384 wrote:Debate whether or not you believe that the topics they list are legit or not.
I see nothing to debate
"Whatever you are totally ignorant of, assert to be the explanation of everything else"

William James quoting Dr. Hodgson

"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."

Nisargadatta Maharaj

mtbike61384
Student

Post #8

Post by mtbike61384 »

Ok well lets take the subject they talk about on the mark of the beast and the antichrist. Do you feel that the mark of the beast is the creation of a national sunday law and that the antichrist is the Roman Catholic church?

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by Goat »

mtbike61384 wrote:Ok well lets take the subject they talk about on the mark of the beast and the antichrist. Do you feel that the mark of the beast is the creation of a national sunday law and that the antichrist is the Roman Catholic church?
nope

I see no reason to see the ink blot symbols in that manner
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

puddleglum
Sage

Post #10

Post by puddleglum »

mtbike61384 wrote:Ok well lets take the subject they talk about on the mark of the beast and the antichrist. Do you feel that the mark of the beast is the creation of a national sunday law and that the antichrist is the Roman Catholic church?
The site must be Seventh Day Adventist because on of their teachings is that the mark of the beast is the observance of Sunday. The Bible clearly teaches that the mark is placed on either the back of the hand or the forehead. How could this possibly describe the observance of a special day?

A better site to learn about prophecy would be:

http://raptureready.com

A good place to learn about how the SDA teaching compare with the Bible would be:

http://www.carm.org/religious-movements ... -adventism