Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Purity Balls

Post #1

Post by McCulloch »

Dancing the Night Away, With a Higher Purpose, NY Times

Beware of practicing your righteousness before men to be noticed by them; otherwise you have no reward with your Father who is in heaven.

Isn't there something wrong with holding a big glitzy celebration to announce to the world that certain people plan to remain pure?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

flitzerbiest
Sage

Post #11

Post by flitzerbiest »

Miles wrote:Picture of their "PET YOUR DOG . . . NOT YOUR DATE" T-shirt HERE
Reminds me of George Carlin:

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

LiamOS
Site Supporter

Post #12

Post by LiamOS »

[color=cyan]RDCH[/color] wrote:Oh wait, the only American girl I ever met (personnally) online, was a Christian who swore she'd never have sex before marriage. 1 year later she was pregnant... I think she got really pushed to it by a boy (who doesn't value the 'no sex before marriage'), and at last she gave in. And no condom indeed...
Sad thing...
It's somewhat ironic that abstinence only education appears to lead to higher teen pregnancy and STD rates(And lower fun-rates).
[color=green]mormon boy51[/color] wrote:A lot of girls during there teenage years want to be told that because they are not secure about themselves. My question would rather be, What amazing girl doesn't need to be told she's beautiful?
Although we're not really in a relationship of any kind, the lady whom I'm seeing doesn't need to be told that. She's merely content with herself.
A rare catch, no doubt.
[color=orange]theheathen1978[/color] wrote:Jesus would probally say. "See that girl over by the punch bowl, I want to tap that."
"... But if Dad ever found out I'd be totally grounded."

Lux
Site Supporter

Post #13

Post by Lux »

AkiThePirate wrote:It's somewhat ironic that abstinence only education appears to lead to higher teen pregnancy and STD rates
Ironic, but not surprising. Abstinence-only programs are called that way because they don't teach about safe ways to have sex. If the teens that go through those programs decide to have sex, they won't know the first thing about how to do it safely unless they were smart enough to find the info for themselves and brave enough to go to the pharmacy and get the stuff.
AkiThePirate wrote:(And lower fun-rates)
Hahahaha :yes:
[center]Image

© Divine Insight (Thanks!)[/center]

"There is more room for a god in science than there is for no god in religious faith." -Phil Plate.

Kuan
Site Supporter

Post #14

Post by Kuan »

AkiThePirate wrote:
[color=cyan]RDCH[/color] wrote:Oh wait, the only American girl I ever met (personnally) online, was a Christian who swore she'd never have sex before marriage. 1 year later she was pregnant... I think she got really pushed to it by a boy (who doesn't value the 'no sex before marriage'), and at last she gave in. And no condom indeed...
Sad thing...
Exact opposite for me lol. But I am from Utah and lots of mormons. So yeah...probably 95% of the girls I know have never had sex.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
- Voltaire

Kung may ayaw, may dahilan. Kung may gusto, may paraan.

Lux
Site Supporter

Post #15

Post by Lux »

mormon boy51 wrote:probably 95% of the girls I know have never had sex.
They say they've never had sex, at least ;)

I honestly doubt the percentage of virgins is that high in any context. Half of teens report having had sex while still in high school.
[center]Image

"There is more room for a god in science than there is for no god in religious faith." -Phil Plate.

Kuan
Site Supporter

Post #16

Post by Kuan »

Lucia wrote:
mormon boy51 wrote:probably 95% of the girls I know have never had sex.
They say they've never had sex, at least ;)

I honestly doubt the percentage of virgins is that high in any context. Half of teens report having had sex while still in high school.
I know all of them pretty well. You really have to experience high school with a bunch of mormons to really get it. All the girls who did have sex were never able to keep it a secret. Thats also why I said 95%, 100% said they never did it. Im guessing that 5% where lying.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
- Voltaire

Kung may ayaw, may dahilan. Kung may gusto, may paraan.

Lux
Site Supporter

Post #17

Post by Lux »

mormon boy51 wrote:I know all of them pretty well. You really have to experience high school with a bunch of mormons to really get it. All the girls who did have sex were never able to keep it a secret. Thats also why I said 95%, 100% said they never did it. Im guessing that 5% where lying.
It's possible, some religious environments can increase the percentage of abstinence quite a bit. I'm very skeptical about polls regarding virginity, though. They have no choice but to rely on self-reporting, and if kids are part of a community that places a lot of value on virginity, they are likely to lie when reporting their sexual status.
[center]Image

cnorman18

Post #18

Post by cnorman18 »

MODERATOR WARNING:

This would fall under Rule 7:

"7. Do not post frivolous, flame bait, or inflammatory messages."

Do not do this again.

theheathen1978 wrote:Jesus would probally say. "See that girl over by the punch bowl, I want to tap that."