Moderator: Moderators

Miles
Savant

Percentage of Christians now lowest in American history

Post #1

Post by Miles »

From FoxNews.Com

"Where Have All the Christians Gone?

The number of people who claim no religious affiliation, meanwhile, has doubled since 1990 to fifteen percent, its highest point in history.

Christianity is plummeting in America, while the number of non-believers is skyrocketing.

A shocking new study of Americans’ religious beliefs shows the beginnings of a major realignment in Americans’ relationship with God. The American Religious Identification Survey (ARIS) reveals that Protestants now represent half of all Americans, down almost 20 percent in the last twenty years. In the coming months, America will become a minority Protestant nation for the first time since the pilgrims.

Young people are fleeing faith. Nearly a quarter of Americans in their 20’s profess no organized religion.

Today, the rise of disaffection is so powerful that different denominations needs to band together to find a shared language of God that can move beyond the fading divisions of the past and begin moving toward a partnership of different-but-equal traditions.

Or risk becoming Europe, where religion is fast becoming an afterthought."

Source and more

Ouch!

Nilloc James
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by Nilloc James »

Today, the rise of disaffection is so powerful that different denominations needs to band together to find a shared language of God that can move beyond the fading divisions of the past and begin moving toward a partnership of different-but-equal traditions.

Or risk becoming Europe, where religion is fast becoming an afterthought."
I'm not suprised fox news would insert ehir opinion about how religion must be saved or "risk" losing religion. Really is religion becoming an after thought such a bad thing?

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by McCulloch »

They say it like it is a bad thing.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

VermilionUK
Scholar

Post #4

Post by VermilionUK »

Could it be because people are learning more - and in the process are discovering more about Christianity - and thus are realising its flaws in logic/sense?
From my point of view: the more you read the bible, the more Atheist you become.
When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
- Sherlock Holmes -

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by JoeyKnothead »

VermilionUK wrote:Could it be because people are learning more - and in the process are discovering more about Christianity - and thus are realising its flaws in logic/sense?
From my point of view: the more you read the bible, the more Atheist you become.
Win
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Miles
Savant

Post #6

Post by Miles »

I kind of smirked at Fox's blatant attempt to help keep Christianity up and running.

"Today, the rise of disaffection is so powerful that different denominations needs (sic) to band together to find a shared language of God that can move beyond the fading divisions of the past and begin moving toward a partnership of different-but-equal traditions.

Or risk becoming Europe, where religion is fast becoming an afterthought
."

Wyvern
Under Probation

Post #7

Post by Wyvern »

Miles wrote:I kind of smirked at Fox's blatant attempt to help keep Christianity up and running.

"Today, the rise of disaffection is so powerful that different denominations needs (sic) to band together to find a shared language of God that can move beyond the fading divisions of the past and begin moving toward a partnership of different-but-equal traditions.

Or risk becoming Europe, where religion is fast becoming an afterthought
."
On the good side because of most religious organizations political affiliiations we don't have to worry about our taxes being used to prop up churches as is the case in much of Europe.

This really shouldn't have come as a surprise, the study didn't show people no longer believe in god. More this is an indication that churches have lost their way. I see this as being a generational thing, the last time many churches changed to any extent was to accomodate the baby boom generation and what spoke to them no longer speaks to younger people. I also see this as a reaction to the overt politicalization of many protestant groups over this period.

Pastor4Jesus
Sage

Post #8

Post by Pastor4Jesus »

I am happy that Fox news exists and it is tops in the ratings. Compared to the talking pie holes at the loser MSNBC they are the preeminent news group. But in their zeal to do anything to support the christian cause I fear they sometimes pad their polls. They said that their poll indicated that 50% of the population as identifying as christian. A loss of 20% from 20 years ago. Not so, as the population ages and the baby boomers face their own mortality the population of Christians will go up IMO. Then as the BB die off we should see the population of Christians plummet. I don't really care, I read a report where Christians were up and coming in china, the most populous nation on earth!

http://www.pravoslavie.ru/english/31754.htm

Religion in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The largest religion in the US is Christianity, practiced by the majority of the population (76% in 2008). Roughly 51.3% of Americans are Protestants, ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_the_United_States

I will go with wikis figures as they seem more accurate. However lets say the figure is correct. I think that the number of real[/] Christians are in the range of maybe 20-40% of the population. So losing some of the 'wanna be' Christians would be a good thing I think.

p4jc

Miles
Savant

Post #9

Post by Miles »

Small observation.
Pastor4Jesus wrote:I am happy that Fox news exists and it is tops in the ratings. Compared to the talking pie holes at the loser MSNBC they are the preeminent news group.
What is this propensity of conservatives to denigrate those they don't agree with. (That's a rhetorical question of course. We all know why.)

Coyotero
Scholar

Post #10

Post by Coyotero »

Why should Christians care how many other Christians there are walking around?

I don't get it...