President Obama honored with Nobel Peace Prize

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

cnorman18

President Obama honored with Nobel Peace Prize

Post #1

Post by cnorman18 »

It was announced this morning that the current President of the United States, Barack Obama, will be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for 2009. What is your opinion?

I think it's a good thing, especially in the light of the President's remarks on the subject; that this honor is not about him personally or his own achievements. It is to honor and recognize the aspirations of people all over the world. I also note that he said he did not feel worthy of being included in the company of others who have received this honor.

I seldom agree with the President's policies or decisions, but I think his election was profoundly good for the country and for the world; and I think the Peace Prize is appropriate on that basis.

It certainly can't refer to anything he's actually done; he hasn't been in office long enough - and it's my understanding that this award was decided only two weeks into his term, anyway.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #2

Post by JoeyKnothead »

I think it was premature, but if in the spirit of Obama's ideas, then it is warranted.

I also like it because of the whargrbl the far right is likely to unleash. I can't wait to hear the Limbaugh, Beck, and Hannity responses.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

VermilionUK
Scholar

Post #3

Post by VermilionUK »

I fully expect that Obama will do a great deal for peace - and we cna already see that in his willingness to speak to the Muslim world.

However, this is way way WAY to early. We should wait until his ideas come to fruition before he is given the Peace prize. Remember, back in the summer; people all over the world were claiming that Gordon Brown had "saved the world" from recession. And how did that turn out?
When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
- Sherlock Holmes -

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by McCulloch »

I like Obama. But he has yet to do anything remarkable for peace. I hope that he lives up to the honor of this award given prematurely to him.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John