Switzerland set to ba Islamic Minarets

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

Furrowed Brow
Site Supporter

Switzerland set to ba Islamic Minarets

Post #1

Post by Furrowed Brow »

Switerzland have just voted and exit polls suggest that they have voted for a ban on the building of islamic minarets.

BBC link

One reason for the proposed ban given is that Sharia law is incompatible with Swiss Democracy.

Is this correct? Or are the Swiss guilty of descrimination?

Furrowed Brow
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by Furrowed Brow »

57% voted for the ban. :-k

Looks like a clear case of descrimination.....

VermilionUK
Scholar

Post #3

Post by VermilionUK »

It's a sign of public opinion at the moment. People are fearful of Islam spreading.

Many people just simply don't want change, they want their country to remain their country.
When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
- Sherlock Holmes -

Jayhawker Soule
Sage

Post #4

Post by Jayhawker Soule »

It pleases me to note ...
The Swiss Federation of Jewish Communities are also against any ban on building minarets. Says Dr Herbert Winter, the president of the Swiss Federation of Jewish Communities: “As Jews we have our own experience. For centuries we were excluded: we were not allowed to construct synagoges or cupola roofs. We do not want that kind of exclusion repeated.�

[source]

Jayhawker Soule
Sage

Post #5

VermilionUK wrote:Many people just simply don't want change, they want their country to remain their country.
It is rank bigotry to suggest that a country that allows minarets ceases to be 'their' country just as it was rank bigotry to suggest that a Reich that allows Juden ceases to be 'their' Reich.

Miles
Savant

Post #6

Post by Miles »

From the article:
  • "Supporters of a ban claimed that allowing minarets would represent the growth of an ideology and a legal system - Sharia law - which are incompatible with Swiss democracy."
It appears these supporters fear that Sharia law may supplement and override the more democratic Swiss laws for its Islamic citizens, which appears to be a good possibility. Of course this comes down to a government trying to discriminatingly regulate a religion, which may actually be an honest attempt to help Islamics who they perceive as not wanting to be put under Sharia law. *shrug*

VermilionUK
Scholar

Post #7

Post by VermilionUK »

Jayhawker Soule wrote:
VermilionUK wrote:Many people just simply don't want change, they want their country to remain their country.
It is rank bigotry to suggest that a country that allows minarets ceases to be 'their' country just as it was rank bigotry to suggest that a Reich that allows Juden ceases to be 'their' Reich.
I'm just providing a possible reason for the vote. When people see Islamic buildings being built, then they see their country changing (unless it's an Islamic country of course).

I think the current opinion of Islam is also a factor - it is spreading fast across Europe, and while that may not be a "bad" thing, it's certainly unwanted by many, as shown in this ban on minarets.
When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
- Sherlock Holmes -

Furrowed Brow
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by Furrowed Brow »

When starting this thread I had not pondered the Nazi Germany. But I have since wondered how how big the step is from banning minarets to making Muslims wear say a yellow crescent and star. It is not so far I think.

Jayhawker Soule
Sage

Post #9

Furrowed Brow wrote:When starting this thread I had not pondered the Nazi Germany. But I have since wondered how how big the step is from banning minarets to making Muslims wear say a yellow crescent and star. It is not so far I think.
There is a significant difference in intent between asking people to be indistinguishable and asking them to wear targets on their chest.

Furrowed Brow
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by Furrowed Brow »

Jayhawker Soule wrote:
Furrowed Brow wrote:When starting this thread I had not pondered the Nazi Germany. But I have since wondered how how big the step is from banning minarets to making Muslims wear say a yellow crescent and star. It is not so far I think.
There is a significant difference in intent between asking people to be indistinguishable and asking them to wear targets on their chest.
True. Banning of minarets whilst a form of silencing the "other not explicitly single them out as targets. But it is indicative of a "tem n' us" mentality. It is an exclusive move aimed to limit the freedoms of one segment of society.....a segment a sizable portion of the Swiss electorate does not actually feel is “Swiss� and definitely sees as a threat to the “Swiss� identity as they conceive it.

However I do think the Nazi history has taught us a lesson not easily forgotten, and I am not accusing the Swiss voters of being a bunch of closet Nazis. It is just healthy to reflect on where small steps can take us.....the Nazis being the obvious paradigm.....as you indeed alluded.