Moderator: Moderators

VermilionUK
Scholar

Pakistan court "an eye for an eye" punishment

Post #1

Post by VermilionUK »

Just read this article on the BBC website. The crime is horrific:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/8425820.stm
BBC wrote: A Pakistani court has ordered that two men have their ears and noses cut off, as punishment for doing the same to a woman who refused to marry one of them.....

Government prosecutor Ehtisham Qadir said the punishment had been awarded in accordance with the Islamic principle of "an eye for an eye".

Sher Mohammad and Amanat abducted Fazeelat Bibi as she returned home from work at a brick kiln in the Raiwind area of Lahore, the court heard.

"They put a noose around her neck, and then cut off her ears and nose," Mr Qadir told the BBC.

Questions for debate/discussion:

Is the punishment justified and moral?

Is the phrase "the punishment had been awarded in accordance with the Islamic principle of "an eye for an eye", an accurate portrayal of Islamic principles and morals?

*Note*
This thread should not be used to attack Islamic morals. The purpose of this thread is only to provide discussion of the "an eye for an eye" punishment, and discuss its relationship with Islamic principles.

Bio-logical
Site Supporter

Post #21

Post by Bio-logical »

TrueReligion wrote:It maybe 1 single incident, as Israel is yet to stand as a country and prepare lawand proper enforcement. But as general speaking, eye for an eye, is in all the religions, and we dont have to argue that its not in my religion and in your religion etc etc.

Only discussion to be concluded by the fact, that as per the pain receive by 1 person from another, in ofcourse wrong manner, the same should be given to the culprit, who caused the pain. Otherwise normal punishment or other should be carried out.

Example. if a person rape a women, we can;t implement eye for an eye in this scenario, that the women should also rape that guy. there should be other punishment involved in such kind of cases.
If we put a rapist in prison there is a good chance he might get raped, but I feel that spraying him with gorilla pheromones and letting him lose with a silverback might be appropriate. Then if the gorilla doesn't kill him, we could. Rape is an unforgivable crime as far as I am concerned. It is one of the most horrible things one person can do to another and I think it would do justice to have that person know what he did to the woman/women he raped - the fear they felt, the disgust, the shame, the pain - before he lost his life. Death doesn't seem punishment enough.
Doubt is not the end, but only the beginning of pursuit.

ExApostolic
Student

Post #22

Post by ExApostolic »

>If we put a rapist in prison there is a good chance he might get raped, but I feel that spraying him with gorilla pheromones and letting him lose with a silverback might be appropriate.

LOL! :D