Human and pet cloning.

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

bdbthinker
Student

Human and pet cloning.

Post #1

Post by bdbthinker »

Here is an article that reports an opening of a pet cloning clinic. What do you think about human cloning? Are there moral/ethical problems with it? Theists, do you feel cloning a human is a sin?

keltzkroz
Apprentice

Post #2

Post by keltzkroz »

Personally, I don't see how cloning goes against what Jesus said about loving God and our neighbors, as long as those clones are meant to become 'individuals' (people or animals), not just for harvesting their 'spare parts' (particularly for people).

DanMRaymond
Student

Post #3

Post by DanMRaymond »

I think that cloning will eventually prevail over the religious, but I doubt it will only be used for good. I mean, nuclear energy is great, but it's also horrible(Nukes,etc..) I think if the study of cloning was legalized and controlled, we would do nothing but benefit from it.

Dilettante
Sage

Post #4

Post by Dilettante »

How is a clone different from an identical twin anyway? Identical twins are not identical individuals nor do the share the exact same personality. Cloning does not really raise any new metaphysical problems. It does raise the same moral problems that assisted reproductive techniques in general raise.

bdbthinker
Student

Post #5

Post by bdbthinker »

To my knowledge there is no difference. You are simply making a genetic copy of the host. This is the same as an identical twin.

seventil
Scholar

Post #6

Post by seventil »

This is always a tough topic.

My personal belief is cloning is not evil if it is used for good.

Human nature, of course, will be to corrupt and distort our God given knowledge and intelligence into something horrifying and evil.

I do not look forward to the moral and ethical implications that could arise due to such things.

With that being said, I am looking forward to seeing my pet dog again.