Moderator: Moderators

DeBunkem
Banned
Banned

Haiti and "Acts of God"

Post #1

Post by DeBunkem »

This at PFAW.org:

Just when you thought that Pat Robertson had said it all, he goes further. As you know, an earthquake hit Haiti yesterday, destroying much of its capital and killing thousands of people.
What did Pat Robertson do? He blamed the victims:

And you know Kristi, something happened a long time ago in Haiti and people might not want to talk about it. They were under the heel of the French, uh you know Napoleon the third and whatever. And they got together and swore a pact to the Devil. They said we will serve you if you'll get us free from the French. True Story. And so the Devil said "OK, it's a deal." And they kicked the French out. You know, the Haitians revolted and got themselves free. But ever since, they have been cursed by one thing after the other.
This is something a typical Confederate preacher would have said before their defeat by our troops. They would have been much more rabidly vindictive, since their richer patrons counted on slave labor for a huge profit. When Toussant L' Overture led a Slave rebellion, the South nearly went apopleptic. It began to haunt their dreams, and abuse of slaves increased.
One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If
we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject
any evidence of the bamboozle. We're no longer
interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has
captured us. It is simply too painful to acknowledge
-- even to ourselves -- that we've been so credulous:
Carl Sagan

lorene

Post #21

Post by lorene »

Lafitte said Ceasar(Actually his crew as La Grande himself was sort of....communicatively impaired...) told the story, and no matter what happened, those same leaders(slave leaders) did get many to believe they made a deal with the devil, because those pirates did believe it...

Of course actual diaries from Lafitte would be nice but since we ran him off....those and other questions i now have must go unanswered ...

:roll:

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #22

Post by JoeyKnothead »

lorene wrote:Lafitte said Ceasar(Actually his crew as La Grande himself was sort of....communicatively impaired...) told the story, and no matter what happened, those same leaders(slave leaders) did get many to believe they made a deal with the devil, because those pirates did believe it...

Of course actual diaries from Lafitte would be nice but since we ran him off....those and other questions i now have must go unanswered ...

:roll:
In other words, all you have is hearsay, and no means to verify you or others speak truth in this regard?

lorene

Post #23

Post by lorene »

No...that is what..."YOU" have... :D

But yes, I only have accounts from those who talked to the acual Haitian crew(you know the same ones who took part in the revolution of which it is said La Grande was a leader in and a member of the famed meeting.)

You have people babbling about things they are ignorant of and saying things with no evidence at all ..."is not, is not"...

I also have the ambassador of Haiti admitting it but what do locals know?, what do people who were actually there know? You have professor Pat E.. Cake...listen too him.. :lol: :lol: :lol: .

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #24

Post by JoeyKnothead »

lorene wrote:No...that is what..."YOU" have... :D

But yes, I only have accounts from those who talked to the acual Haitian crew(you know the same ones who took part in the revolution of which it is said La Grande was a leader in and a member of the famed meeting.)

You have people babbling about things they are ignorant of and saying things with no evidence at all ..."is not, is not"...

I also have the ambassador of Haiti admitting it but what do locals know?, what do people who were actually there know? You have professor Pat E.. Cake...listen too him.. :lol: :lol: :lol: .
Then present this evidence for examination.

Where's the documents with Satan's signature?

lorene

Post #25

Post by lorene »

joeyknuccione wrote:
lorene wrote:No...that is what..."YOU" have... :D

Then present this evidence for examination.

Where's the documents with Satan's signature?
Interesting...
Do you have evidence it was done in writing? Nothing about that mentioned in any of my sources but since you brought it up...

I heard someone say once the devil could not read or write...not sure that is true...i mean even from a religious perspective....

there is thee devil quoting scripture to Jesus, but then i looked for any example of satan writing or the devil or devils writing but found nothing other than movie stuff...

got anything? perhaps it should have it's own thread elsewhere...Not here as it would not be a debate...perhaps at a discussion site.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #26

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From Post 25:
lorene wrote: Interesting...
Do you have evidence it was done in writing? Nothing about that mentioned in any of my sources but since you brought it up...
Plenty fair, what with your not presenting your sources and all. I retract any notion Satan, or others signed any agreements on paper.
lorene wrote: I heard someone say once the devil could not read or write...not sure that is true...i mean even from a religious perspective....
"I heard" someone say the devil doesn't exist, much less that he's capable of entering into agreements with folks. Who's right?
lorene wrote: there is thee devil quoting scripture to Jesus, but then i looked for any example of satan writing or the devil or devils writing but found nothing other than movie stuff...
How can we know the Bible is accurate regarding the devil speaking to Jesus?
lorene wrote: got anything? perhaps it should have it's own thread elsewhere...Not here as it would not be a debate...perhaps at a discussion site.
Agreed. Lacking evidence for the Devil entering agreements, all we are left with is discussion.