Same sex marriage is not a church issue.

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

Christianity in crisis?
Student

Same sex marriage is not a church issue.

Post #1

Post by Christianity in crisis? »

I believe same sex marriage is not a church issue when it comes to the law. Christians who try to ban same sex marriage are wrong, and should be consistent with the separation of church and state. BTW... I am an evangelical Christian against forms of legalized discrimination.

Choir Loft
Banned
Banned

Re: Same sex marriage is not a church issue.

Post #141

Post by Choir Loft »

Christianity in crisis? wrote: I believe same sex marriage is not a church issue when it comes to the law. Christians who try to ban same sex marriage are wrong, and should be consistent with the separation of church and state. BTW... I am an evangelical Christian against forms of legalized discrimination.
What you're saying here is that Christian values have no place in society.
That Christians do not have a right to vote their conscience.
That God's Word ought not be implemented into one's daily life and society.

Does not the Bible clearly warn of the consistent attitude of God toward sin and debauchery?

Does not the Bible clearly state that God loves righteousness?

Self-will is the way to punishment and damnation.

The problem with evangelical Christians is that they love to be spiritually tickled in their emotional worship services. It's all about the thrill and nothing to do with the conscience or the Will of God. Have a good time and leave the building with a smile (minus a few dollars to keep the party going next week).

Because in the end God is not concerned with anything except that at the end of the day a good time will have been had by all?
- First Church of the World

I submit sir, that your evangelical position is a betrayal of the Gospel and the Word of God. This is why Christians are called hypocrites. You cannot be of two minds at the same time. Either you love the world (and its wickedness) or you love the Lord and His holiness (unto salvation and eternal life).

You cannot do both.

Either you should abandon your religion in favor of your 'enlightened opinion' or you should get down on your knees and repent that you have forsaken your Lord.

Do one or the other. You can't wave two flags.

and that's just me, hollering from the choir loft...
R.I.P. AMERICAN REPUBLIC
[June 21, 1788 - October 26, 2001]

- Here lies Liberty -
Born in the spring,
died in the fall.
Stabbed in the back,
forsaken by all.

Neatras
Guru

Post #142

Post by Neatras »

Choir Loft wrote: Either you love the world (and its wickedness) or you love the Lord and His holiness (unto salvation and eternal life).

You cannot do both.
I suppose that means he can't love his fellow man, then. Point taken.

Philbert

Post #143

Post by Philbert »

What you're saying here is that Christian values have no place in society.
Christian values have a place in Christian society. If you don't wish to have a gay marriage, don't have one. We're all fine with that, no complaints.

And oh, by the way, you're not expressing Christian values as best I can tell.
That Christians do not have a right to vote their conscience.
Did they actually say that, or are you doing the glorious martyr dance?
That God's Word ought not be implemented into one's daily life and society.
Your God's word should be implemented in YOUR life. Leave other people's lives out of it, they are none of your business.
Does not the Bible clearly warn of the consistent attitude of God toward sin and debauchery?
Does not the Bible say love thy neighbor as thyself? Did Jesus not say he who is without sin cast the first stone?

It looks to me you are picking and choosing the parts of the Bible you want to follow, and you're choosing the ugly bits.

officer2002
Student

Post #144

Post by officer2002 »

Christianity in crisis? wrote:
mormon boy51 wrote:I disagree, it is tied in a small way to religion. Here is my view of it:

Same Sex marriage is immoral because it is against Gods will. Should it be legal, yes. I have no right to impose my belief on another person and vice versa. The reason it is tied in with religion is this. If gay marriage laws are passed there should be a law on the legislation that does not require all churches to marry gays. Churches should decide for themselves whether they will marry gays or not. I can see a gay couple suing a church if they wont marry them on the basis of discrimination.
It is propaganda put out like organizations such as Focus on the Family and the Mormon Church to believe the law will force to conduct same sex marriages against their will. Why would a gay couple want to be married in a church who is against same sex marriages anyways?
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/08 ... -nuptials/
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/06 ... o-to-jail/
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/05 ... lose-down/
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/04 ... firestorm/
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/04 ... y-wedding/
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/03 ... e-on-gays/
other examples that I could not find to make the link was a wedding photographer in New Mexico and a church owned building in New Jersey that were sued and reported to a state civil rights commission.

It has happened. We are not delusional. If you want to assuage our concern, then start a non-profit that will work for homosexual marriage and the religious rights of people who do not want to encourage abomination.

KCKID
Guru

Post #145

Post by KCKID »

officer2002 wrote:
Christianity in crisis? wrote:
mormon boy51 wrote:I disagree, it is tied in a small way to religion. Here is my view of it:

Same Sex marriage is immoral because it is against Gods will. Should it be legal, yes. I have no right to impose my belief on another person and vice versa. The reason it is tied in with religion is this. If gay marriage laws are passed there should be a law on the legislation that does not require all churches to marry gays. Churches should decide for themselves whether they will marry gays or not. I can see a gay couple suing a church if they wont marry them on the basis of discrimination.
It is propaganda put out like organizations such as Focus on the Family and the Mormon Church to believe the law will force to conduct same sex marriages against their will. Why would a gay couple want to be married in a church who is against same sex marriages anyways?
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/08 ... -nuptials/
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/06 ... o-to-jail/
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/05 ... lose-down/
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/04 ... firestorm/
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/04 ... y-wedding/
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/03 ... e-on-gays/
other examples that I could not find to make the link was a wedding photographer in New Mexico and a church owned building in New Jersey that were sued and reported to a state civil rights commission.

It has happened. We are not delusional. If you want to assuage our concern, then start a non-profit that will work for homosexual marriage and the religious rights of people who do not want to encourage abomination.
How is gay marriage any more an abomination than is 'straight' marriage? Can you answer this question IN YOUR OWN WORDS without referring to an ancient manuscript that is more often than not misinterpreted anyway ...?

Robert H
Student

Post #146

Post by Robert H »

[Replying to post 1 by Christianity in crisis?]

You are right, marriage between people as far as our civil law is concerned shouldn't be governed by the churches. Unless, of course, people want to be married in a church, then they need to follow whatever rules the church sees fit to enforce. But as for our society goes, if someone wants to get married and can make legal consent, then they should be allowed. If they feel they need to marry a person of the opposite sex to be happy, or marry someone of the same sex, or marry multiple persons in a polygamist relationship, or if they are bisexual and need a husband and a wife, or if they need an interracial relationship,......... whatever. They should all be allowed. Laws against the basic freedom of marrying who you want need to be repealed.

Choir Loft
Banned
Banned

Post #147

Post by Choir Loft »

Neatras wrote:
Choir Loft wrote: Either you love the world (and its wickedness) or you love the Lord and His holiness (unto salvation and eternal life).

You cannot do both.
I suppose that means he can't love his fellow man, then. Point taken.
What is the first commandment?

it's me, hollering from the choir loft...
R.I.P. AMERICAN REPUBLIC
[June 21, 1788 - October 26, 2001]

- Here lies Liberty -
Born in the spring,
died in the fall.
Stabbed in the back,
forsaken by all.

daughterofthefaith
Student

Post #148

Post by daughterofthefaith »

[Replying to post 1 by Christianity in crisis?]

If Christians are wrong in denouncing gay marriage why did Christ damn Sodom and Gomorrah and destroy them with fire and brimstone?? Gay marriage otherwise called Sodomy is condemned in the Bible! Any Christian who accepts homosexuality as just an 'alternative lifestyle' or a matter of human rights is wrong! We are told to follow Christ's example and he is anti-gay so, so should we! Christ gave Adam a woman for a wife - not a man!

Leviticus 18;22
Romans 1;27
Jude 1;7

KCKID
Guru

Post #149

Post by KCKID »

daughterofthefaith wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Christianity in crisis?]

If Christians are wrong in denouncing gay marriage why did Christ damn Sodom and Gomorrah and destroy them with fire and brimstone??
These days I would rather ignore posts that are clearly written in ignorance of the facts; however, other readers might be adversely influenced by them. And so I respond. Firstly, using an ancient myth in an attempt to destroy the lives of people is an abomination of the worst kind! Are you aware that there is NO archaeological evidence that Sodom and Gomorrah ever existed? Once again ...NONE! Secondly, and related to firstly, the story of Lot and the angels is more than likely a myth!

The myth of Lot, in Genesis 19, about the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, follows upon the story in Genesis 18 of Abraham, and his hospitality towards wandering strangers who, in the myth, turned out to be angels. So the ONLY way to understand Sodom and Gomorrah, is to keep it in context. It has NOTHING to do with sex. Their destruction has nothing to do with sex. It's all about the treatment of strangers, and stands as an example if IN-hospitality toward strangers, juxtaposed with the Abrahamic example of hospitality towards wandering strangers in the desert environment, which, of course could present a fatal danger.

If I've learned anything about Christian Fundamentalists it's this: they are loathe to let facts or the truth get in their way. Now, I don't know if you qualify as a Christian Fundamentalist but the contents of your post lead me to believe that you might be.

daughterofthefaith wrote:Gay marriage otherwise called Sodomy is condemned in the Bible!
????

'Sodomite' in Hebrew is 'qadesh' which is translated in Strong's Concordance (6945) as: a sacred person, that is, (technically) a (male) temple prostitute; a devotee (by prostitution) to licentious idolatry. A sodomite has nothing to do with homosexuality per se; NOR does it have ANYTHING to do with gay marriage! Whatever 'sodomy' might mean nowadays its present definition is not scriptural.

Now that you know this, are you going to stop preaching what amounts to be lies? Do you know that lying is an abomination? Check out Proverbs 12:22.

daughterofthefaith wrote:Any Christian who accepts homosexuality as just an 'alternative lifestyle' or a matter of human rights is wrong!
Clearly you don't know what you're talking about. Be prepared on THIS forum to encounter people who might know considerably more about the Bible than you do and are more than willing to debate you on this!
daughterofthefaith wrote:We are told to follow Christ's example and he is anti-gay so, so should we! Christ gave Adam a woman for a wife - not a man!
Offer up ANY scripture that has Jesus even breathing a word about homosexuality or gay marriage and we can take it from there. Good luck!
daughterofthefaith wrote:Leviticus 18;22
Besides this text not being relevant to anyone but the Levitical Priesthood it is referencing temple prostitution (as before) and idolatry. It has NOTHING to do with homosexuality per se or gay marriage.
daughterofthefaith wrote:Romans 1;27
Same as above. Not to mention that Paul is NOT Jesus or God.
daughterofthefaith wrote:Jude 1;7
Same as above. Not to mention that Jude is NOT Jesus or God!

Hatuey
Banned
Banned

Post #150

Post by Hatuey »

[Replying to post 149 by KCKID]

The bible seems anti-gay, to me, as well as anti shellfish and anti wearing-clothes-made-of-two-different-types-of-cloth. I'm still waiting for all the protests on polyester/cotton blends and Red Lobster..