Frist's Example of the politicizing of religion

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

Vladd44
Sage

Frist's Example of the politicizing of religion

Post #1

Post by Vladd44 »

It seems Sen Bill Frist has embraced the Karl Rove concept of division over consensus. Justice Sunday is the brainchild of activist wanting to mobilize christians to change the way the senate rules. This is an ill conceived effort to say the least.

It is beyond my understanding why christians are allowing the politicization of their faith. It is my fundemental issue with xtians today. Believe what you want, live how you want, but leave my life out of your belief structure.

The likes of Ralph Reed, Karl Rove, W bushler and co are hijacking well intentioned peoples beliefs to forward their own agenda.

I am just curious as to how christians can rationalize such intolerance with the Jesus I read about in the gospels.
When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.[GOD] ‑ 1 Cor 13:11
WinMX, BitTorrent and other p2p issues go to http://vladd44.com

Vladd44
Sage

Post #2

Post by Vladd44 »

In the event people had no idea what i was talking about

http://www.frc.org/

http://www.focusaction.org/articles/A0000066.cfm

http://www.frc.org/get.cfm?i=LH05D02

They want to act like the filibuster is an unprecedented event.
When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.[GOD] ‑ 1 Cor 13:11

AlAyeti
Guru

Post #3

Post by AlAyeti »

Christians don't think of themselves as worthless to the process we belong too.

If Mr. Frist wants to speak to a large influential voting block, then why make an issue of their religious beliefs? Is Bill Frist a dishonest person?

The Liberal Democrats have for thirty years denegrated Christians as pinheads and ignorant rednecks. Well, as milloins of sexually-hedonistic and licentious people find no solace in that condition and weigh the evidence, many become Christians. They embrace open-mindedness and become free-thinkers. And, ex-Liberals.

Republicans know that there are votes to seek and find within these people.

I know from experience.

I am now a registered independent.

But of the two choices in politics for Christians, the party leaning more towards embracing the culture of life will win decent peoples' votes. The Democrats hold out an idiot like Howard Dean and attack everything good and decent. The Republicans are much smarter. They allow people the right to believe what they want and not denegrate those choices.

Like misfit children finally shedding the same old selfish indulgence, many found God and realized that thinking like a child when balding and still wearing an earing just wasn't cutting it.

The Democrats just allow those deluded by selfish egotism the false hope of being able to force their acceptance and influence on and over the normal decent people in society. That is why Democrats are failing and the Republicans are embracing diversity without proliferating sexually deviant totalitarianism.

AlAyeti
Guru

Post #4

Post by AlAyeti »

V: You wrote. . .

"It seems Sen Bill Frist has embraced the Karl Rove concept of division over consensus. Justice Sunday is the brainchild of activist wanting to mobilize christians to change the way the senate rules. This is an ill conceived effort to say the least.

It is beyond my understanding why christians are allowing the politicization of their faith. It is my fundemental issue with xtians today. Believe what you want, live how you want, but leave my life out of your belief structure.

The likes of Ralph Reed, Karl Rove, W bushler and co are hijacking well intentioned peoples beliefs to forward their own agenda.

I am just curious as to how christians can rationalize such intolerance with the Jesus I read about in the gospels."

/ / / / / / / / / / / / /

Although it seems fair to say reading your signature, saying that you are tolerant towards Christians is like a pit bull towards a cat.

But Christians believe it or not, once were not Christians. They were agnostics and even worse. You don't believe Christians are well intentioned, who are you kidding. Even though you probably went to a Christian founded college and are more than willing to have your life saved in a Christian hospital.

How often have you read about the Jesus in the Gospels? Your ignorance of Jesus is glaring. Everyone must accept Him or not claim membership in His movement. He came not to change a single thing in the "Law." Not exactly your modern Liberal liar. Jesus wasn't executed for tolerance. Exactly the opposite.

Christians are allowing the politicization of their faith by Republicans because they are not treated with insults (like in your signature), like they are by Liberals that parasitize the Democrat party. They, we, understand that our way of life is almost illegal in America as we speak! Republicans are not leading the fight to cleanse the country of anything and everything Christian. That is completely a Democrat-led endeavor! Any ACLU Republicans in vast numbers you think?

I do find truth in your post. It is beyond your understanding to contemplate this issue.

Vladd44
Sage

Post #5

Post by Vladd44 »

AlAyeti wrote:Although it seems fair to say reading your signature, saying that you are tolerant towards Christians is like a pit bull towards a cat.
AlAyeti wrote:Your ignorance of Jesus is glaring.
I am an agnostic, raised as a pastor's son. With no greater respect for any human walking this earth than I had for my dad. In his life he was a great example of what being a christian should be. The lessons and understanding of his life was a gift. I must admit it ironic that the values he instilled in me caused me to turn away from his god. But because of him I am a firm believer in the ability for reasonable people to agree to disagree. Which includes people of all faith and belief.

My signature is simply a viewpoint of my own personal evolvement. Not an attack against any group of people. Each individual has to decide for himself what to believe, or not. I would also caution you to your error of assumption. You would do well to do a simple forum search of my posts before considering me ignorant of your bible.

Also you presume me to be a democrat. Frankly the differences between a democrat or a republican are so minute from my perspective as to essentially be insignificant. Since you presume to know me so well, I assume you already knew these things. I will go no furtherwith these topics.
AlAyeti wrote:Christians don't think of themselves as worthless to the process we belong too.
Considering the jesus that I am ignorant of said:
John 18:36 wrote: Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.
AlAyeti wrote:Christians are allowing the politicization of their faith by Republicans because they are not treated with insults (like in your signature),
heh I didnt know my signature was that powerful. Well intentioned christians are being used. The mere admission of peoples faith being politicized is priceless. It is exactly the problem, there is no room for politics in religion.
AlAyeti wrote:Republicans are not leading the fight to cleanse the country of anything and everything Christian.
No they are invoking Chrisitan intifada. It is the driving foruce for the Rove inspired movement. Its not about consensus anymore, it's simply a move to divide and conquer. They are trying to overturn a senate tradition. This senate has passed over 200 of bush's nominee's, 10 have been blocked. Before they go off like this is something new, its happened to all presidents. Its part of the ability of the minority to dissent.
AlAyeti wrote:The Liberal Democrats have for thirty years denegrated Christians as pinheads and ignorant rednecks.
AlAyeti wrote:Christians are allowing the politicization of their faith by Republicans because they are not treated with insults (like in your signature), like they are by Liberals that parasitize the Democrat party.
If everything you said was true, and Democrats and my signature line were the driving force for the republican party to wrap themselves in pages from the bible. SO what? I think your offbase, but even so, what does it matter? If your a christian its to reach the world around you, including the liberal democrats, and sexual deviants that seem to offend you so much.

When the soci-political-religious leaders of the day brought the woman caught in the act of adultery, your jesus had very few words for her. BUt their significance should be heeded by those who claim to adhere to his teachings.
John 8:10-11 wrote:10 When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee? 11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.
If others have acted unkind to you, as your words seem to imply some feeling of hurt by non christians. I would implore you to not give in to the anger and intolerance that is brooding.
Luke 6:27-28 wrote: 27 But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you, 28 Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you.
And if your right, and I am wrong about their being a god, you will have the last laugh. But i think it was way out of line for you to so presumptiously to suppose that an opinion in variance to your own was due to a lack of ability to contemplate the issue.
It is beyond your understanding to contemplate this issue.
It seems that it may be beyond your ability to carry a discourse that deals with facts. Try again.,

ST88
Site Supporter

Re: Frist's Example of the politicizing of religion

Post #6

Post by ST88 »

Vladd44 wrote:It seems Sen Bill Frist has embraced the Karl Rove concept of division over consensus. Justice Sunday is the brainchild of activist wanting to mobilize christians to change the way the senate rules. This is an ill conceived effort to say the least.

I am just curious as to how christians can rationalize such intolerance with the Jesus I read about in the gospels.
I completely agree with you here, Vladd44. The implication in the whole Religious Right movement is that if Religious Christianity is good, then radical Religious Christianity must be that much better. Or, to put it another way, erring on the side of orthodoxy is better than erring on the side of liberalism.

I think that Christians that argue that they are being discriminated against are being disingenuous at best and outright bigoted at worst. Is it discrimination against Christians to allow gay marriage? Only if you believe that your offended sight is more important than someone else's happiness. This is what it boils down to, in my opinion.

Hijacking Senate rules to ram through conservative judges is well within the right of the Senate, as these rules are not codified in the Constitution. But I don't think they are thinking clearly about this -- apocalyptic religions like Evangelicals and Pentecostals seem to always be thinking about the here and now. I wonder what they will do once the Democrats are back in power and have the ability to ram through liberal judges? Or will God not allow that?

Vladd44
Sage

Post #7

Post by Vladd44 »

http://www.lightonthehill.tv/justice.html

I signed up to watch it 7/6PM E/Cent (GMT-5)

I always want to know what the other side is saying. I thought this might be a Republican Scheme to get me to go to church. But Texas isnt a focus state.

LillSnopp
Scholar

Post #8

Post by LillSnopp »

But Christians believe it or not, once were not Christians. They were agnostics and even worse.
They where agnostics ?
How do you know ? Strange generalisation.

Most people are indoctrinated from childhood you know. Your parents where Christians, indoctrinated you to be Christian, (homeschooling for example) thats the standard way in the US atleast, (this is illegal in Sweden, as harming a child physically or mentally is not allowed, you would lose your right to the child, and he/she would be taken to a foster home, where he/she would get proper education, and would hopefully not be to damaged by this incident).

ST88
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by ST88 »

I heard a commentary on talk radio the other day that analyzed the Frist situation pretty well, I think. Frist is using the preceived Bush Base, the Religious Right, to further his presidential aspirations. He could have appealed to secular conservatives, like the George Will bunch, (he seems to be one) but he knows that the demographic most likely to vote are religious conservatives. The official jockeying for the Republication nomination in 2008 has begun. I expect we will see the agenda -- in the Senate at least -- being dragged to the Right. Myself, I hope there are enough moderate Republicans to make it at least difficult.

AlAyeti
Guru

Post #10

Post by AlAyeti »

Doesn't Frist have the right to talk to any group of people? How do you get to know a group of voters without meeting them?

Only Neo-Liberals can stump in large gatherings of "Christians."

How many times do we see the Democrats in churches stumping for this or that?