Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Science and Religion

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Hi all,

The idea of this thread is to post all the superstitious leanings of scientists.

http://blogs.news.com.au/dailytelegraph ... _is_risen/

It is largely occurring in the environmental science community but if you find other scientists spouting ideology and not science it would be appreciated if you posted it when you see it. It is something I am on the lookout for.

Wootah.

flitzerbiest
Sage

Post #2

Post by flitzerbiest »

To what end? No one here would claim that the "earth-as-organism/goddess" type thinking is scientific. I don't really get the point.

LiamOS
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by LiamOS »

The label of 'scientist' within itself doesn't mean all too much.
From my limited observations, it appears that biologists, climate scientists, etc. tend to be much more religious than chemists who in turn are much more religious than physicists.

It's not entirely difficult to find some scientist with some absolutely insane ideas. This is due to them usually being more vocal and a greater press interest in someone 'different'.

Wootah
Savant

Post #4

Post by Wootah »

flitzerbiest wrote:To what end? No one here would claim that the "earth-as-organism/goddess" type thinking is scientific. I don't really get the point.
I regard the Bible and the Christian faith to be the end of superstition. I base this on trusting that God is his word and as we are made in the image of God and as creation reflects God's glory we can learn about God from studying creation.

So it would not surprise me to find secular scientists adhering to science and yet creeping back into superstition. I think the task is not easy to prove but if you 'sight the phenomenon' then I think it is worth posting it when you do.

There was also the cancun conference and the speaker referring to some Aztec God I think.

Grumpy
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by Grumpy »

Wootah
There was also the cancun conference and the speaker referring to some Aztec God I think.
???

You are aware, I presume, that refering to and believing in are two really different things, n'est-ce pas?

Grumpy 8-)

Wootah
Savant

Post #6

Post by Wootah »

Grumpy wrote:Wootah
???

You are aware, I presume, that refering to and believing in are two really different things, n'est-ce pas?

Grumpy 8-)
It's just an early sign.

Grumpy
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by Grumpy »

Wootah
It's just an early sign.
So a preacher who refers to the Devil in each and every sermon is doomed to be a Satanist?

You might want to rethink that one. Just a suggestion.

Grumpy 8-)