Can Fox News be trusted?

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

Question Everything
Sage

Can Fox News be trusted?

Post #1

Post by Question Everything »

Asked what most viewers and observers of Fox News would be surprised to learn about the controversial cable channel, a former insider from the world of Rupert Murdoch was quick with a response: “I don’t think people would believe it’s as concocted as it is; that stuff is just made up.�
http://www.readersupportednews.org/off- ... t-made-upq
"Oh, you can''t get through seminary and come out believing in God!"

current pastor who is a closet atheist
quoted by Daniel Dennett.

rreppy
Student

Re: Can Fox News be trusted?

Post #11

Post by rreppy »

Question Everything wrote:
Asked what most viewers and observers of Fox News would be surprised to learn about the controversial cable channel, a former insider from the world of Rupert Murdoch was quick with a response: “I don’t think people would believe it’s as concocted as it is; that stuff is just made up.�
http://www.readersupportednews.org/off- ... t-made-upq
Well, duh! Is there really anybody out there that actually thinks that FOX is anything other than a propaganda machine for the Republican Party? When have they ever "reported" anything truthful or factual? NOTHING on Fox is is NEWS!

imagesofjesus
Student

Post #12

Post by imagesofjesus »

Adstar wrote:Can any news media organization in this world be trusted???

I don't trust any of them.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days
Ditto - I think there is so much misinformation out there, it's pretty tough to pick 'one' that you can trust.
Michael Lee Joshua

Images of Jesus

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #13

Post by Goat »

Well, I know this.. according to Megyn Kelly of Fox News, Pepper spray is just a food additive

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/cutline/meg ... 28408.html

Now, I would dare anybody who actually agrees with her let themselves be sprayed with it.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Choir Loft
Banned
Banned

Post #14

Post by Choir Loft »

imagesofjesus wrote:

Ditto - I think there is so much misinformation out there, it's pretty tough to pick 'one' that you can trust.
"Of course, it is possible for any citizen with time to spare, and a canny eye, to work out what is actually going on, but for the many there is not time, and the network news is the only news even though it may not be news at all but only a series of flashing fictions..."
- Gore Vidal

You don't "pick" a news source. If you do that you're wrong from square one.
Your "picking" should be a little here and a little there.

"The truth is out there."
- X Files

While the above phrase was meant to reference a search for a scifi ET, it is nonetheless true especially in the arena of politics, which is closer to fiction sometimes than the TV show.

I have found that it IS out there. One must be diligent to search for it and able to verify it. The problem with truth is not its lack of availability, but the appreciation of its discovery and the motivation it encourages. I've found through the years that truth has a way of making itself known. I've also found that human nature has a way of trying to bury it again.

Am I a fan of FOX News? Not really, but I have found truth there on occasion. Would you say that the New York Times is a good source of truth? It isn't. The Times editorial staff is as guilty of corporate favoritism and bias as any rag in the country. I'm not a fan of the Times either, but I search its columns as well.

bluethread
Savant

Post #15

Post by bluethread »

Goat wrote:Well, I know this.. according to Megyn Kelly of Fox News, Pepper spray is just a food additive

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/cutline/meg ... 28408.html

Now, I would dare anybody who actually agrees with her let themselves be sprayed with it.
Since we are discussing bias in reporting here, the way you framed the comment is far from even handed. Yes, I agree with her that pepper spray is essentially, in it's essence, a food product. However, she was explaining the makeup of pepper spray not it's effects. As the link you provided shows, she did say that it is abrasive and corrosive. She also says that legally it will have to be determined by a court whether the use of it in this case constitutes excessive force. These are all true statements. It is a bit hypocritical to accuse others of hyping the news, while pulling a single statement out of context and presenting it as the primary point of the piece.

RobertUrbanek
Apprentice

Post #16

Post by RobertUrbanek »

On at least two occasions that I witnessed, Fox News put a D (for Democrat) next to the name and picture of a Republican that was involved in some scandal.
Untroubled, scornful, outrageous — That is how wisdom wants us to be. She is a woman and never loves anyone but a warrior — Friedrich Nietzsche

David 2.0

hi..

Post #17

Post by David 2.0 »

Fox news delivers what it provides.

Never let the Fox guard the hen house comes to mind.

99percentatheism
Banned
Banned

Post #18

Post by 99percentatheism »

Fox is far less troubling than the Alinksyites over at MSNBC, Current, FSTV, Media Matters, etc., etc., etc., et al.

His Name Is John
Site Supporter

Post #19

Post by His Name Is John »

A lot of what they say is sloppy, and hasn't had much real reaserch put into it. However, it is only picked on becasue it it's the only major Replublican news channel. I wouldn't watch it, as it is too right wing for me, but then again I wouldn't watch any of the other openly bias news channels in the USA. I get a selection of sources for my news (BBC, internet news sites etc.)
“People generally quarrel because they cannot argue.�
- G.K. Chesterton

“A detective story generally describes six living men discussing how it is that a man is dead. A modern philosophic story generally describes six dead men discussing how any man can possibly be alive.�
- G.K. Chesterton

rreppy
Student

Fox news

Post #20

Post by rreppy »

The damning point, though, is that they don't call themselves "Fox Opinion Hour"; they call themselves "Fox NEWS", and that makes it a deliberate lie. All the right-wingers I know who watch it genuinely think they are getting their "news" from it.
Personally, I go to BBC online to get my news about America, because at least they don't have a particular agenda.