Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

ST88
Site Supporter

Prisoners' Religious Rights Law

Post #1

Post by ST88 »

From the Washington Post:
The Supreme Court upheld a federal religious freedom law for prisoners and mental patients yesterday, ruling that Congress has the power to require that state institutions accommodate the reasonable religious needs of those under their control.

In a unanimous ruling, the court rejected Ohio's constitutional challenge to the Religious Land Use and Institutionalized Persons Act (RLUIPA), enacted by Congress in 2000. RLUIPA says that "no government shall impose a substantial burden on the religious exercise of a person residing in or confined to an institution" that receives federal funds, unless the burden is absolutely necessary to meet a "compelling" government purpose.
For me, the interesting part is what the State of Ohio argued in their challenge to the law:
this amounts to unconstitutional official favoritism for religion, because it creates incentives for inmates in its prisons to profess a religious belief so that they may receive special food or other privileges unavailable to other inmates.
The motives behind the challenge probably had to do with not wanting to spend the money for such accomodations, but what of this argument?

Do you think this ruling could lead to abnormally high levels of conversion to different religions?

Do you think this qualifies as special treatment when evaluating the standards of treatment for those who are religious vs. those who are not?

What does this say about how our society views religion that special accomodations must be made for various religious practices, but not for the non-religious?

It should be noted that the original plaintiffs in the case that created the rule in the first place were Wicca, Satanism, and Asatru, as well as the Church of Jesus Christ Christian.

Corvus
Guru

Re: Prisoners' Religious Rights Law

Post #2

Post by Corvus »

Do you think this ruling could lead to abnormally high levels of conversion to different religions?

No. Would people really take up a belief system because of what they can get out of it? Uh...

Let me try that again. If we live in a society that respects religion enough to allow special treatment of prisoners because of it, I don't think the prisoners are going to abuse that respect by converting so they can get beef from cows killed the right way facing Mecca. Even if they don't respect other religions, it seems such a trivial thing to do, and though there might be a few converts, I doubt there would be abnormally high levels.

Do you think this qualifies as special treatment when evaluating the standards of treatment for those who are religious vs. those who are not?

Yes. But not all special treatment is a bad thing. Let's just be grateful that there are no religions where caviar and truffles are required as daily meals.

What does this say about how our society views religion that special accomodations must be made for various religious practices, but not for the non-religious?

It says that our society recognises religion as a psychological dependency, and is willing to respect it because of that.
<i>'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'</i>
-John Keats, Ode on a Grecian Urn.