Harold Campings Failed Prediction

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

Furrowed Brow
Site Supporter

Harold Campings Failed Prediction

Post #1

Post by Furrowed Brow »

Harold Camping predicted the end of the world again and got it wrong again. He persuaded a lot of too eaily persuaded folk. Some spent their savings.

Will the failed prediction open the eyes of the gullible segments of Christianity. Will they begin to question their pastors harder? Will it help folk to let go of biblical literalism?

Is Camping just foolish or wicked or both?

Adurumus
Scholar

Post #11

Post by Adurumus »

Pretty sure he said it was calculations based on information, not a prophecy from God or what have you. Seeing as the rapture is supposed to be incalculable, or something to that effect, he was wrong from the get go. Strikes me as foolish rather than wicked, because in order to be wicked he'd have to believe whatever money he received was worth ruining his life/public opinion over.
[center]Let me light the way[/center]

riverslivnwtr
Under Probation

Post #12

Post by riverslivnwtr »

Adurumus wrote:Pretty sure he said it was calculations based on information, not a prophecy from God or what have you. Seeing as the rapture is supposed to be incalculable, or something to that effect, he was wrong from the get go. Strikes me as foolish rather than wicked, because in order to be wicked he'd have to believe whatever money he received was worth ruining his life/public opinion over.

that leaves his pride which is wicked at least according to the bible..I believe somewhere in the bible about the heart of man being desperately wicked...

He's not trying to be evil, it's just the nature of the beast..
:lol:

Choir Loft
Banned
Banned

Post #13

Post by Choir Loft »

Adurumus wrote:Pretty sure he said it was calculations based on information, not a prophecy from God or what have you. Seeing as the rapture is supposed to be incalculable, or something to that effect, he was wrong from the get go. Strikes me as foolish rather than wicked, because in order to be wicked he'd have to believe whatever money he received was worth ruining his life/public opinion over.
Excellent post. Calculations seem to have overlooked the first subset, in that one is told by Our Lord not to try in the first place. We've been given general scenarios to watch for, but no I's have been dotted and no T's have been crossed.

ThatGirlAgain
Prodigy

Post #14

Post by ThatGirlAgain »

So October 21, 2011 was also a no go. This is the fourth time Camping got it wrong. If we can get him to keep on making predictions - the further out the better - will that delay the end of the world?

Hey! Maybe he is a servant of Satan, making a mockery of the end times idea so the ranks of unbelievers will grow. Let's face it, that notion is no crazier than some others floating around.
Dogmatism and skepticism are both, in a sense, absolute philosophies; one is certain of knowing, the other of not knowing. What philosophy should dissipate is certainty, whether of knowledge or ignorance.
- Bertrand Russell