Praise to the King
Mountains bow down
And the seas will roar
At the sound of Your Name

Corvus
Guru

Post #2

Post by Corvus »

No. I feel that a life is the most precious thing one can have, since one only gets a single life to spend, and therefore, no man should be able to take it away from me. (and by extension, you)
<i>'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'</i>
-John Keats, Ode on a Grecian Urn.

Travis
Student

Post #3

Post by Travis »

I can see no reason why we need to have capital punishment. I believe in self-defense, but I do not believe in vengeance by proxy.
What is the first business of one who practices philosophy? To get rid of self-conceit. For it is impossible for anyone to begin to learn that which he thinks he already knows.
- Epictetus (Discourses)

otseng
Savant

Post #4

Post by otseng »

Travis wrote:I can see no reason why we need to have capital punishment. I believe in self-defense, but I do not believe in vengeance by proxy.
What if someone murders someone you love?

Travis
Student

Post #5

Post by Travis »

otseng wrote:What if someone murders someone you love?
First of all capital punishment is meted out by the state. I feel that the state cannot take what it does not own, such as the life of an aggressor.
However I think that, I the victim deserve restitution, instead of a vengeance option. Now that may take most any form, but death should not be one of them. (Imprisonment, monetary restitution, labor, repentance, all come to mind.)

There are other reasons why I think it is a bad idea. First and foremost I have this belief in second chances. Secondly I live in a state where a number of innocents have been on death row. Lastly all arguments for it seem to be knee-jerk and based in something other than human compassion.
What is the first business of one who practices philosophy? To get rid of self-conceit. For it is impossible for anyone to begin to learn that which he thinks he already knows.
- Epictetus (Discourses)

otseng
Savant

Post #6

Post by otseng »

Travis wrote:There are other reasons why I think it is a bad idea. First and foremost I have this belief in second chances. Secondly I live in a state where a number of innocents have been on death row. Lastly all arguments for it seem to be knee-jerk and based in something other than human compassion.
I think those are good reasons to oppose capital punishment.

Personally, I am for capital punishment for serial offenders (rapists, murderers, robbers). I believe in second chances and even a third, but not in a fourth chance. If someone is convicted on 4 counts of murder, then I believe the person deserves the ultimate punishment.

adherent
Apprentice

Post #7

Post by adherent »

Yep, having capital punishment would cut crime rates by quite a figure.

emmy27sf
Student

Post #8

Post by emmy27sf »

capital punishment is wrong for 4 reasons
1)God created life and he is the only one eligbe to take it away
2)the bible says thou shal not murder
3)the bible says when someone slaps one cheek turn the other
4)to God all sins are the same a sin is a sin so if some one murders someone we love and we kill them then when we lie to someone they love would that not make it ok to kill us?

i also think that murder does not justify murder

Mightor
Student

Post #9

Post by Mightor »

Mightor say capital punishment just fine and dandy with Mightor. Puny human society makes rules, some puny humans break rules in such way that nothing can atone for them. These bad puny humans can be removed from society with no sympathy from Mightor.

Illyricum
Apprentice

Post #10

Post by Illyricum »

Mightor, if you want people to take you seriously, than I suggest that you act seriously.
So from Jerusalem all the way around to Illyricum, I have fully proclaimed the gospel of Christ.

Romans 15:19