Jesus Is My Homeboy

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

Jesus Is My Homeboy

Post #1

Post by otseng »

Christianity is currently an "in" thing in pop fashion. Clothing sport Jesus is My Homeboy and Mary Is My Homegirl.

Jesus the new King of Pop Culture
But lately it seems the King of the Jews is the King of Cool. Call it a pop culture moment.

He's a hot seller at hip shops such as Journeys, where shirts declare "Jesus is my homeboy."

Some may find the Jesus the Savior meets Homeboy Jesus concept a bit irreverent. Others say talking about God in this manner is better than no talk at all.
What do you think? Is it irreverent or not? Is it a good thing or a bad thing?

Amadeus
Scholar

Post #31

Post by Amadeus »

I just want to make a quick comment about the injustices that are beginning to take place against Christianity (Yes, we are priviledged in America to have religious freedom, but it is becomming not so free).

In Denver they are about to have a Winter Parade. Since it is close to Christmas, people were expecting this to be a Christmas parade. A nearby church wanted to have a float, sing carols, and have a sign that says Merry Christmas, but were not allowed, because they did not want any religious themes in the parade....HOWEVER, the parade includes a group of homosexual Indians, who are considered holy by their beliefs,and a group of Chinese dancers, performing the Lion Dance, used to ward off evil spirits and summon good ones! Aren't those religious themes?

A teacher (forgive me, I don't remember what city) was recently forbidden to use excerpts from the declaration of independence, and the diaries of the founding fathers, because he was showing that they held beliefs about God. As far as I know, he wasn't promoting religion, just stating that they had belief.

Preachers speaking to their congregations about Homosexuality as a sin are being accused of hate speech. If this escaletes, perhaps they could be arrested in regard to Incite to Riot?

Back to topic,

The only people I have seen wearing the "Jesus is my homeboy" shirts are Christians. I don't think it is sacreligious, as we are supposed to have a very close and loving relationship with our Savior.

BeHereNow
Site Supporter

Post #32

Post by BeHereNow »

Amadeus gave us half of the story:
A teacher (forgive me, I don't remember what city) was recently forbidden to use excerpts from the declaration of independence, and the diaries of the founding fathers, because he was showing that they held beliefs about God. As far as I know, he wasn't promoting religion, just stating that they had belief.
Here is the rest of the story:
a schoolteacher, Stephen Williams of Mountain View, California, was passing out supplementary literature along with copies of the Declaration of Independence. As evidenced in Case Number C 04 4946 Williams vs. Vidmar, the supplementary materials included:
• A letter from George W. Bush proclaiming the National Day of Prayer - e.g. - "Prayer is an opportunity to praise God for His mighty works, His gift of freedom, His mercy, and His boundless love...According to Scripture, 'the Lord is near to all who call upon Him...He also will hear their cry, and save them.'"
• A two page list of Religious Clauses in State Constitutions - e.g. - Georgia - Article VI (1977) "The representatives shall be chosen out of the residents in each county...and they shall be of the Protestant religion..."
• A list of quotes titled "What Great Leaders Have Said About the Bible" - e.g. - George Washington...It is impossible to rightly govern the world without the Bible. and Jesus Christ...It is written, man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.
• Excerpts from George Washington's Prayer Journal - e.g. - Sunday Evening O most Glorious God, in Jesus Christ my merciful and loving father, I acknowledge and confess my guilt...
• Excerpts from John Adams' Diary - e.g. - The Christian religion is above all the religions that ever prevailed or existed in ancient or modern times, the religion of wisdom, virtue, equity, and humanity, let the blackguard Paine say what he will; it is resignation to God, it is goodness itself to man.
• A fact sheet titled, "Currency & Coins - History of 'In God We Trust'" –

Clearly the teacher was promoting Protestant Christianity. This is inappropriate.

The USA is (arguably) a Deist nation, but not a Christian nation.
A special transmission outside the scriptures;
Depending not on words and letters;
Pointing directly to the human mind;
Seeing into one''s nature, one becomes a Buddha.

Amadeus
Scholar

Post #33

Post by Amadeus »

I have to agree with you there. That's the problem when Christian Radio gets TOO biassed.

Geez! :roll:

seventil
Scholar

Post #34

Post by seventil »

Barbie wrote:Wondering about something...

Why is it that when Christians stand up for what they believe in they are accused of being intolerant and "forcing" their views on others, but when others express their views it is considered "free speech"?

Could it be because Jesus is so offensive? May I be as offensive as Him!!
I don't think anyone has called Christians out for expressing their beliefs. It's when it gets personal does it get forcing. Saying I believe in Jesus and I'm a Christian is one thing; answering questions and socializing is another; but telling people their beliefs are wrong; I don't think that's Biblical or Godly.

I think the main reason Christians get labeled as forcing their beliefs is because of the bad apples. There are Christians out there, that, God bless them, are alienating people from God. Telling someone they are "Going to Hell" or wrong in what they believe is just wrong. Not talking to people that aren't Christian is wrong. Having an aura of "I'm Christian so I'm better than you" is wrong.

A lot of Christians do these things. I, just like them, want to turn people to God. But you can't do it by hounding someone, or making them go out of guilt. Live your life as an example and people will flock to you. Shepard them to Christ. But don't go out with a bow and arrow and shoot everyone you see. ;)

seventil
Scholar

Post #35

Post by seventil »

BeHereNow wrote:

Clearly the teacher was promoting Protestant Christianity. This is inappropriate.

Rest assured you have a future of a possible politician. The teacher was promiting protestant Christianity?

And for the science teacher that says Darwin believed in evolution?

Or for the history teacher who said the egyptian pharoahs believed in Ra?

And the archaeologist who teaches that the old kings of Greece worshipped their Greek Gods? And the Norse theirs? And the Romans theirs?

Your statement is complete and utter BS; Sorry for getting upset about this, but it's this sort of ignorance that really drives me crazy. Showing that the founding fathers -believed- in protestant Christianity isn't pushing that belief on anyone! If he would have started baptising people in class and calling out demons and stuff - yeah, ok, crossing a line.

But since when did mentioning the beliefs of our past leaders have anything to do with religious converting?

Please explain, because I'm baffled at your logic here.

seventil
Scholar

Post #36

Post by seventil »

BeHereNow wrote:
America is now, and always has been, a country founded on religous freedom.

However, America was founded on the principles of Christianity, according to the founding fathers.

It's not a "Diest" nation, because that would be forcing everyone to believe in a God of some sort, which it does not. It can be considered a Christian nation, because the majority of the people believe in Christianity. (statistically speaking) On this subject, I think it won't be for long, since it's slowly transforming into a more "pagan" than Christian nation.

Sorry to pick on you BetterHereNow, but I didn't agree with one thing in your post.

seventil
Scholar

Post #37

Post by seventil »

Amadeus wrote: Back to topic,

The only people I have seen wearing the "Jesus is my homeboy" shirts are Christians. I don't think it is sacreligious, as we are supposed to have a very close and loving relationship with our Savior.
Hey Amadeus!

I agree... I had someone call me out because I called Jesus "JC". He said, "You can't call him that! He's God!" - and I said, "Well, he's also my friend, so I can call him that if I want." - A lightning bolt didn't hit me, so I think I'm ok. :)

Nyril
Scholar

Post #38

Post by Nyril »

However, America was founded on the principles of Christianity, according to the founding fathers.
America was not founded on the principles of your religion, nor anyones. It was founded on British Common Law.

The founding fathers were overwhelming Deist in terms of belief, and they went out of their way to see to it that religion was not a basis for their government. Thomas Jefferson wrote about the separation of church and state, and Madison agreed with him about it.

According to this
Nor did members of the Constitutional Convention, unlike today's Congress, start each session with a prayer. One month into their meeting, Benjamin Franklin made such a proposal, but only three or four delegates thought it was a good idea. The rest thought invoking God's help would make them look ''desperate.''
And then finally (from the same source),
Under George Washington, the new nation soon got the first chance to prove its religious neutrality. In peace negotiations with the Muslim region of North Africa, which had been attacking American vessels, the question was asked: ''Is the United States a Christian nation?'' The response, contained in Article 11 of the ensuing Treaty of Tripoli, endorsed by President John Adams and unanimously ratified by the U.S. Senate, begins: ''As the government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion...''
In what way does this suggest this is a Christian nation.

Piper Plexed
Site Supporter

Post #39

Post by Piper Plexed »

I think we are straying a bit, please feel free to further discuss Faith of the Founders or God in the Constitution or related ideas on a new thread Are the roots of religion in goverment? or start a new thread.

a reminder :D
otseng wrote:Christianity is currently an "in" thing in pop fashion. Clothing sport Jesus is My Homeboy and Mary Is My Homegirl.

Jesus the new King of Pop Culture
But lately it seems the King of the Jews is the King of Cool. Call it a pop culture moment.

He's a hot seller at hip shops such as Journeys, where shirts declare "Jesus is my homeboy."

Some may find the Jesus the Savior meets Homeboy Jesus concept a bit irreverent. Others say talking about God in this manner is better than no talk at all.
What do you think? Is it irreverent or not? Is it a good thing or a bad thing?
*"I think, therefore I am" (Cogito, ergo sum)-Descartes
** I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that ...