Jesus Is My Homeboy

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

Jesus Is My Homeboy

Post #1

Post by otseng »

Christianity is currently an "in" thing in pop fashion. Clothing sport Jesus is My Homeboy and Mary Is My Homegirl.

Jesus the new King of Pop Culture
But lately it seems the King of the Jews is the King of Cool. Call it a pop culture moment.

He's a hot seller at hip shops such as Journeys, where shirts declare "Jesus is my homeboy."

Some may find the Jesus the Savior meets Homeboy Jesus concept a bit irreverent. Others say talking about God in this manner is better than no talk at all.
What do you think? Is it irreverent or not? Is it a good thing or a bad thing?

Illyricum
Apprentice

Post #21

Post by Illyricum »

Ditto.
So from Jerusalem all the way around to Illyricum, I have fully proclaimed the gospel of Christ.

Romans 15:19

Angry McFurious
Student

Re: Jesus Is My Homeboy

Post #22

Post by Angry McFurious »

Xueirdna wrote:
otseng wrote:Christianity is currently an "in" thing in pop fashion. Clothing sport Jesus is My Homeboy and Mary Is My Homegirl.

He's a hot seller at hip shops such as Journeys, where shirts declare "Jesus is my homeboy."

Some may find the Jesus the Savior meets Homeboy Jesus concept a bit irreverent. Others say talking about God in this manner is better than no talk at all.
Madonna once said, in reference to the cross, that she likes to wear one around her neck because a naked guy died on it and she thinks that's sexy. I do not have an actual problem persay with the "Jesus is My Homeboy" or "Mary is My Homegirl" t-shirts; however, I think it seems to portray the wrong image of Christ. Sure, the intimacy with Him can make Him your friend...but as far as I'm concerned and how I interpret the scriptures, He is not my "homeboy" but my Savior, my God, and my Lord. So, the t-shirts aren't bad...I just think they downplay the real message.

How about a t-shirt that says:

"Jesus is God."

That's when it becomes offensive. Jesus as a homeboy is, by no means, offensive.

i agree, i have a friend with a hat that said that. He is athiest he just thought it was funny :?
:dance: ~Jews Rock~ :dance:

t
Student

Post #23

Post by t »

adherent wrote:Whats wiccan?

I remember reading about the christian fashion thing in the newspaper. I don't think the words on the clothes have any impact at all on the people reading the letters or the peoeple wearing em.
Mat 21:37 But last of all he sent his son to them, saying, They will respect my son.

Mar 12:6 Therefore, still having one son, his own beloved, he also sent him to them last of all, saying, They will respect my son.

If this is being done with respect fine. If its a fasion statement not fine.
God is to be respected. I don't know that the statement homeboy shows other non christians that we have respect for our God. Not for me.

Wiccan- one who belongs to the wiccan religion (neo-pagan polytheistic religion) derived from ancient witchcraft and paganism

concerro
Apprentice

Re: Seperation of Church and State

Post #24

Post by concerro »

NuclearTBag wrote:What if there were an atheist running for canadancy and using his faith as a way to get an advantage? The christians would flip out, and the atheists would say he has a right to do that. Now my self as an atheist, I really don't care about "under god" or Bush being open with his faith, we also have free speech, he has the right to do that, just as christians have the right to wear what ever god shirts they want, just as I have the right to wear a shirt that says what if god was real, and not just pretend. Yahweh, this country is also a democracy, a system which gives power to the people, 77% (the number is decling) of America is christian, so they will have the power, all Bush is doing is trying to please the 77% of America that is christian. Where is the shame in that? Freedom of speach is a two way street, I have to be tolerent of christians that wear those stupid Jesus is my Homeboy shirts (you have no idea how infurating that is), and they half to tolerate my disproving their god, or calling him a cloud man and invisible man in the sky. I guarntee you if Atheism was the dominat religion in America, atheists would be treated the same way that christians are, and be given those same execptions, because of that whole democracy thing. Now I really do not think that christians are given that many execptions, is seeing some kid prey in school, really going to hurt an atheist that much? I wouldn't care. Is saying undergod durring the pledge of allegiance really going to destroy the atheist morale, I'm as atheist as ever, and hear that every day. Congress also is making sure they seperate church and state, they are not making law according to the bible, if they ban abortion then maybe I can see some problem. The seperation between church and state. Here's a message to all those Bush haters out there, as a naitive Texan, I am quite used to people saying god 256 times in a three minute conversation. That's just normal Texas stuff, a lot of Texans mention god in daily conversations, hell even the strippers do. On to he ACLU, the most useless orginization ever, people say that are for protecion of civil rights, then how come you half to be gay, black, or a child molestor to get in. The ACLU has never stood up for the white americans rights, if a white teacher says the word "nigger" in a conversation, but not directed at an african american student, just discussing the word, that teacher is fired, the ACLU does nothing to help them out. How ever if a black teacher says "honkey" and gets fired, the ACLU is all overr the school district that fired him. Also the ACLU also likes to "investigate" organizations that don't have enough minority employees for them, when is the ACLU going to investigate BET for not having enough white employees, or on air personalities?

Apologies for getting off topic
BET is owned by a white man now

joku

Post #25

Post by joku »

Quarkhead wrote:I happen to think most so-called Christians today show an appalling lack of understanding about Jesus' teachings anyway. :D
Many Christians do have a lack of understanding about Christ's teachings, but that is because God has been removed from schools. I'm sure that the day Christ returns, this entire world is going to be in complete and total shock except for the few who truely believe in Jesus, and have accepted him as their personal Lord and Savior.

joku

Post #26

Post by joku »

concerro wrote: BET is owned by a white man now
Seriously?

concerro
Apprentice

Post #27

Post by concerro »

joku wrote:
concerro wrote: BET is owned by a white man now
Seriously?
BET was sold to Viacom by the founder who still acts as CEO and is still listed as owner on the web site, but since BET was sold to and is operated by Viacom which is owned by a white man, and during the sell there was an agreement to LET the founder still remain CEO he is no longer the owner

P Joey

Eh..

Post #28

Post by P Joey »

when I was a young Christian, I used to say "Jesus was my homeboy." But then I learned something. As a Christian, that should offend you. If you were more like Christ.

Jesus is not a homeboy. Jesus is Lord and should be exalted as such.

My "homeboys" don't recieve prayer to them. I don't do things to bring them honor and glory. I definitely don't lift them high up, proclaiming them as Lord of my life.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Christianity being forced....

I think there are a few of those people out there that will try and force any belief on you. In every religion, culture, etc. For instance, forcing me to accept the teachings of gay marriages and lifestyles, and forcing that on my kids in public schools.

But, because of the sensitivity of the world today, that is not forcing anything. Hypocritical at best. You will learn that what the world projects onto you, is really their own faults. Kind of like a fake pass.

Piper Plexed
Site Supporter

Re: Jesus Is My Homeboy

Post #29

Post by Piper Plexed »

otseng wrote:Christianity is currently an "in" thing in pop fashion. Clothing sport Jesus is My Homeboy and Mary Is My Homegirl.

But lately it seems the King of the Jews is the King of Cool. Call it a pop culture moment.

I really don't have a problem with such fashion statements, reason being, when I ponder the role of fashion and youth culture in the lives of young people it becomes very apparent to me that it is major venue in which our young develop a sense of self. Children do not make these choices lightly, anyone that has a pre-teener and has shopped with them is well aware of the battle of the clothes that takes place in every mall between every parent and child millions of times every day of the year. Children use such culture to associate themselves away from the family unit and towards a social group (their peers). Peer social groups have a great deal of influence over our children and part of that influence is morals and behaviors. We teach our children right and wrong and the greatest test is if what we have taught has been reflected in their independent actions. For me, if my child emulates my greatest teacher of morals "Jesus", synthesizes his name (thus the essence of his beliefs) in his/her youth culture and proudly sports his name, I would be quite pleased.
*"I think, therefore I am" (Cogito, ergo sum)-Descartes
** I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that ...

Native American

Post #30

Post by Native American »

Jesus isn't my homeboy, but it's cool if he's yours. We shouldn't make a huge deal out of stupid things like teenage fashion or slang. :lol:
Look what God did to my people. :|

Insomniac is my homeslice (giggity giggity giggity, oh yeah)