Moderator: Moderators

His Name Is John
Site Supporter

'Sworn enemies' unite

Post #1

Post by His Name Is John »

The article:
‘Sworn enemies’ unite to fight Section 5 of the Public Order Act

Who should decide whether words, posters or ideas are insulting?

That’s the question that has united a number of groups with vastly different agendas.

From the National Secular Society to the Christian Institute, encompassing Big Brother Watch, gay rights campaigner Peter Tatchell and senior Tory MP David Davis, the message is one and the same – Section 5 of the 1986 Public Order Act needs to change.

This disparate bunch have signed up to a campaign, led by Mr Davis, to change the contentious clause. Their slogan? “Feel free to insult me�.

Section 5 of the Public Order Act protects us against threatening or abusive behaviour, unjust discrimination, incitement and violence.

But it also makes it an offence to use words which anyone within earshot might find 'insulting'.

[Related story: Home Secretary heckled by police over cuts]

‘Reform Section 5’ campaigners argue the “insulting� language clause of the act has a lack of clarity which has resulted in a string of arrests.

They insist it restricts free speech and penalises campaigners, protesters and even preachers. And crucially the campaign poses this question: does the law really need to protect us from having our feelings hurt?

In 2005 Oxford student Sam Brown was arrested under Section 5 of the act for saying to a policeman: “Excuse me, do you realise your horse is gay?�

Gay Rights campaigner Peter Tatchell in 2010. Photo: PA
The case was eventually dropped, but Thames Valley Police justified the arrest on the grounds that the 21-year-old had made “homophobic comments that were deemed offensive to people passing by.�

Similarly, Blackpool’s Jamie Murray was threatened by two police officers to stop playing DVDs showing texts from the New Testament in his Christian café.

In 2008 a 16-year old boy was arrested for holding a placard saying that Scientology “is a dangerous cult.� An allegation that the sign was “abusive or insulting� was referred to the Crown Prosecution Service.

Speaking to Yahoo! News, President of the National Secular Society Terry Sanderson: “Insulting people – either deliberately or accidentally – is just a part of human interaction.

“We are working on this campaign with the Christian Institute, which are usually seen as our sworn enemy. We don’t want to see people arrested for saying things like gays are evil. This is a common cause and we want to be very careful not to make it partisan.

“After all, free speech is not free if it is available only to some and not others.�

A recent ComRes poll commissioned by the Reform Section 5 campaign shows that the majority of MPs in each Coalition party support the removal of the “insult� clause.

It showed 62% of MPs believed it should not be the business of government to outlaw “insults�. Only 17% of MPs believe that removing the contentious “insult� clause would undermine the ability of the police to protect the public.

After the London Riots, a consultation was launched to better understand the effect of the word ‘insulting’ and whether it is consistent with the right to freedom of expression and the risks that would ensue if the clause was removed from Section 5.

The Home Office closed the consultation process in January of this year but is yet to set out its views. Home Secretary Theresa May is being urged to make the reforms.

Oxford University student Sam Brown who was arrested after calling a police horse 'gay'. Photo: PADavid Davis, the former Shadow Home Secretary, who is leading the cross-party calls for reform, says the campaign is “vital to protecting freedom of expression in Britain today.�

He said: “Who should decide who is insulted? The police? A judge? The truth is that Section 5 is having a terrible, chilling effect on democracy today.�

In a statement released today, ‘Reform Section 5’ said: “It’s no laughing matter. Imagine what it feels like to be hauled up in front of a policeman, questioned as a criminal or even arrested and dragged to court for speaking your mind or for inadvertently insulting someone.

“The law rightly protects us against unjust discrimination, incitement and violence. It should not be used to protect us from having our feelings hurt.�

Simon Calvert of the Christian Institute added: “By bringing together an unlikely alliance of groups, this campaign demonstrates that speaking out plainly for principle, and firm, even energetic, disagreement, are not inconsistent with civil discourse and democracy - actually they are the lifeblood of it.�

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/%E2%80%98sworn ... r-act.html
I don't know about you guys, but I agree with this movement 100%. It is great to see that the different groups are able to put asside their differences and work together for the common good. I might ring up my MP tomorrow and ask him to back it.

What are your views on this? Is the group doing the right thing? What other similar issues would benifit from a team-up of this sort?
“People generally quarrel because they cannot argue.�
- G.K. Chesterton

“A detective story generally describes six living men discussing how it is that a man is dead. A modern philosophic story generally describes six dead men discussing how any man can possibly be alive.�
- G.K. Chesterton

Haven

Post #2

Post by Haven »

I'm all for freedom of speech, so I fully support this movement. I think the anti-war movement could benefit from a similar team-up of disparate groups.

His Name Is John
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by His Name Is John »

Haven wrote:I'm all for freedom of speech, so I fully support this movement. I think the anti-war movement could benefit from a similar team-up of disparate groups.
And for issues like anti-poverty etc.

However, with the anti-war movements, almost a million people marched against the war in Iraq and we still invaded. If the government have made up their mind, barely anything can change it.
“People generally quarrel because they cannot argue.�
- G.K. Chesterton

“A detective story generally describes six living men discussing how it is that a man is dead. A modern philosophic story generally describes six dead men discussing how any man can possibly be alive.�
- G.K. Chesterton

bluethread
Savant

Post #4

Post by bluethread »

His Name Is John wrote:
Haven wrote:I'm all for freedom of speech, so I fully support this movement. I think the anti-war movement could benefit from a similar team-up of disparate groups.

However, with the anti-war movements, almost a million people marched against the war in Iraq and we still invaded. If the government have made up their mind, barely anything can change it.
The constitution is supposed to do that. It is unconstitutional to go to war without a formal declaration from congress. However, since congress has not done that since 1941, they have effectively given the power of making war over to the executive branch. I guess they figure that is better than having to answer to the voters for how they would have voted, should anything go wrong. They did try to pull this back with the war powers act, that gives congress the right to micromanage troop deployments. However, passing a bill that is questionable constitutionally to make up for not haing the guts to do things that are clearly constitutional is hardly a profile in courage.

Choir Loft
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by Choir Loft »

bluethread wrote:
His Name Is John wrote:

The constitution is supposed to do that. It is unconstitutional to go to war without a formal declaration from congress. However, since congress has not done that since 1941, they have effectively given the power of making war over to the executive branch. I guess they figure that is better than having to answer to the voters for how they would have voted, should anything go wrong. They did try to pull this back with the war powers act, that gives congress the right to micromanage troop deployments. However, passing a bill that is questionable constitutionally to make up for not haing the guts to do things that are clearly constitutional is hardly a profile in courage.
I agree with you 100%. Unfortunately the 1973 War Powers Act no longer has any....power. Mr. Obama has violated it twice in the recent past.

June 15th, 2011 -President Obama violates the 1973 War Powers Resolution
Fails to request authorization for the Libyan campaign.

Oct 20th, 2011 -Fails to request, report or seek authorization for US troops deployed to
Uganda, Congo, Central African Republic & Southern Sudan
to counter Lord's Resistance Army & Joseph Kony.
(3,100 - 4,100 troops at present level)
The action safeguards central African minerals incl. 21% of world's gold mining.

April 20, 2012 - Obama, Clinton Defy Congress, Resume Aid to Egyptian Military - Foreign aid resumed despite congressional
restrictions.

Oops, that's three times. It's coming so fast and furious it's hard to keep up.
but that's just me, hollering from the choir loft....
R.I.P. AMERICAN REPUBLIC
[June 21, 1788 - October 26, 2001]

- Here lies Liberty -
Born in the spring,
died in the fall.
Stabbed in the back,
forsaken by all.