Anti-Jihad ad in New York subways

Post #1

Post by ThatGirlAgain »

[center]IN ANY WAR BETWEEN THE CIVILIZED MAN AND THE SAVAGE
SUPPORT THE CIVILIZED MAN.
SUPPORT ISRAEL
DEFEAT JIHAD[/center]

http://www.wpix.com/news/wpix-proisrael ... 6168.story
Dogmatism and skepticism are both, in a sense, absolute philosophies; one is certain of knowing, the other of not knowing. What philosophy should dissipate is certainty, whether of knowledge or ignorance.
- Bertrand Russell

Darias
Guru

Re: Anti-Jihad ad in New York subways

Post #2

Post by Darias »

ThatGirlAgain wrote: [center]IN ANY WAR BETWEEN THE CIVILIZED MAN AND THE SAVAGE
SUPPORT THE CIVILIZED MAN.
SUPPORT ISRAEL
DEFEAT JIHAD[/center]

http://www.wpix.com/news/wpix-proisrael ... 6168.story
The only good thing about this is a win for free speech.

The content is grotesquely ignorant - not merely a critique of religion but a slandering of all Arabs as "savages." The biggest joke about this statement is that Israel is somehow free from any wrong doing when after the slightest amount of research one can realize just how horribly unfair Israeli policies towards Palestinians have been.

I pretty much agree with Cenk on this one:
[center]
[youtube][/youtube]
[/center]

RobertUrbanek
Apprentice

Post #3

Post by RobertUrbanek »

I think this problem would be solved if the New York subway authority stopped renting public space for commercial use. Sure, there would be less revenue, but that is what we have taxes for.
Untroubled, scornful, outrageous — That is how wisdom wants us to be. She is a woman and never loves anyone but a warrior — Friedrich Nietzsche

Jayhawker Soule
Sage

Post #4

Post by Jayhawker Soule »

Darias
Guru

Post #5

Post by Darias »

RobertUrbanek wrote: I think this problem would be solved if the New York subway authority stopped renting public space for commercial use. Sure, there would be less revenue, but that is what we have taxes for.
Who would prefer losing more money to government theft over allowing free speech? The content of the signs doesn't really matter. Anyone who disagreed with any kind of sign, no matter true and good or false and provocative could make the same suggestion you did.

If that was done, then the ads that Jayhawker pointed out wouldn't even be possible. I think they are even more effective when placed next to the original signs.

But they did change their rules about signs that could incite violence, which are now banned. How can they determine what messages could fall under that category? I have no idea.

Choir Loft
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by Choir Loft »

Those are good words.

Except that the global culture has rejected them.
The American culture has rejected them.

Instead we embrace lust and passion, hatred and bigotry, greed and avarice at the expense of individual liberty.

Instead of deferring to another man we would rather kill him.

There is no greater peace on earth than that of the grave.

but there is no love there.

it's just me, hollering from the choir loft...
R.I.P. AMERICAN REPUBLIC
[June 21, 1788 - October 26, 2001]

- Here lies Liberty -
Born in the spring,
died in the fall.
Stabbed in the back,
forsaken by all.