Would atheism cure the Middle East?

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

Q
Student

Would atheism cure the Middle East?

Post #1

Post by Q »

If somehow it became an excepted fact that God either didn't exist or had never interacted with humans, would this solve the fighting in the Middle East? Are all, or practically all of the car bombings and suicide attacks a result of religous motivation?If so wouldn't the belief that organized religion is false end this fighting? Obviously they would still hate us for being in Iraq, but I am referencing more towards the struggles between Muslims and Jews.

bernee51
Site Supporter

Post #21

Post by bernee51 »

AlAyeti wrote: Atheism is self-destructive behavior. Menatally as well as physically, but most importantly spiritually.
I am an atheist Al.

I am in no way self destructive (nor, for that matter, other destructive). The philosophy of ahimsa is one I try to live by whereever possible. That is not an opinion - it is a fact.

Mentally - no problems that i am aware of, nor been made aware of by those close to me. More fact.

Spiritually - I claim to feel more spiritually centred now than at anytime in my life. That is an opinin.

So I guess you are right, when you are expressing what I quoted above - it is merely your opinion.

An opinion which by my very existence is shown to be incorrect.
AlAyeti wrote: How many billions of God believers on Earth? Even many Chinese don't buy into the Goverments BS. They know better. You should as well.
Claiming the number of believers as proof of existence is a logical fallacy Al. Surely by now you must be aware of that.

And BTW, how many Americans (or English, or Australians) don't buy into their goverment's BS.
"Whatever you are totally ignorant of, assert to be the explanation of everything else"

William James quoting Dr. Hodgson

"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."

Nisargadatta Maharaj

QED
Prodigy

Post #22

Post by QED »

AlAyeti wrote: My mind is very close to being "made up." Atheism has been given the chance to do something with mankind and it hasn't been pretty.
So you say. I'm a little disappointed that instead of answering my post by showing how Atheism has been the cause of the atrocities you mention, you come out with another round of attacks on atheism and yet more defences of Christianity. I want to know why it is so obvious to you that atheism equates to irresponsibility when I have taken the trouble to explain how it seems more likely to me to be a product of totalitarianism.

You really can make a difference for me here Al, I'm currently asking myself if an arbitrary belief is necessarily a bad thing. Instinctively I feel it is, but there is a tantalizing prospect of this all working its self out so long as humanity goes on communicating honestly and openly. Show me the mechanism by which atheism 'lifts the lid' on bad behavior -- because I've seen the way a fear of God has no impact on despots and Catholic Priests alike.