Massacre in CT

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

stickmanmob
Student

Massacre in CT

Post #1

Post by stickmanmob »

So, the Westboro Baptist church is planning to portest the funerals of the young children kild in CT. They are a Christian religious group, so I was curious as to other peoples opinions on the topic.

Wootah
Savant

Post #2

Post by Wootah »

I would have though the funerals would be private.

Ankhhape
Scholar

Post #3

Post by Ankhhape »

They are P's OS

LiamOS
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by LiamOS »

:warning: Moderator Warning
Ankhhape wrote: They are P's OS

Personal attacks on others, be they forum members or not, are against the rules. You've been warned for the exact same thing recently.
Further, there is also a rule against 'one liner' posts which contribute nothing to the debate; this would fall under that category.

Please review our Rules.

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

Choir Loft
Banned
Banned

Re: Massacre in CT

Post #5

Post by Choir Loft »

stickmanmob wrote: So, the Westboro Baptist church is planning to portest the funerals of the young children kild in CT. They are a Christian religious group, so I was curious as to other peoples opinions on the topic.
There is a time and place for everything. I think if the church group wants to protest funerals they should begin with protesting the funerals of their own members. I'd like to see that.

The media seems to have had more than the usual restraint in respecting the privacy of the families involved in this tragedy.

A great deal more, in fact, than any sort of logic or restraint regarding the constitutional legality of keeping and bearing arms. 50% more people were killed last year from blunt & sharp objects than firearms according to FBI statistics. Even more, TWICE that's twice as many people were killed by fists, elbows and feet than firearms. Does that mean that baseball bats, knives, hands and feet should be banned?

God has been evicted from our schools. His Holy name has been despised by our culture. The celebration of our savior's birth is besmirched each year by fools who believe that their anti-god point of view ought to be tolerated while the religious faith of the rest of us isn't.

Our self-righteous culture believes that it's wrong to kill twenty children in a school while it's ok to murder 53 million still in their mother's womb. Anybody see a disconnection in logic here? Americans don't.

IF GOD DOESN'T JUDGE AMERICA, THEN HE OWES SODOM AND GOMORRAH AN APOLOGY.

but that's just me, hollering from the choir loft...
R.I.P. AMERICAN REPUBLIC
[June 21, 1788 - October 26, 2001]

- Here lies Liberty -
Born in the spring,
died in the fall.
Stabbed in the back,
forsaken by all.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #6

Post by Bust Nak »

richardP wrote: great deal more, in fact, than any sort of logic or restraint regarding the constitutional legality of keeping and bearing arms. 50% more people were killed last year from blunt & sharp objects than firearms according to FBI statistics. Even more, TWICE that's twice as many people were killed by fists, elbows and feet than firearms.
That is not accurate. 375% more people were killed from firearms than blunt & sharp objects than firearms according to FBI statistics, and 11 times as many people were killed by firearms than firsts, elbows and feet.

Your figures would only make sense if by firearms, you mean rifles only.

Malachi_Smith
Student

Post #7

Post by Malachi_Smith »

stickmanmob wrote: So, the Westboro Baptist church is planning to portest the funerals of the young children kild in CT. They are a Christian religious group, so I was curious as to other peoples opinions on the topic.
The Westboro Baptist Church have a one-note hymm. They say that all
the troubles of America stem from our cultural tolerance of gay people.

They protest at military funerals and claim that these deaths are the result
of this tolerance. I'm sure that this is their message about the deaths of our
children, also.

They use the Biblical story of Sodom and Gomorrah as proof. They miss the
point of that scripture. Abraham bargained with God, and God agreed that
if ten righteous people could be found there he would spare them.

So the destruction was not because of what was being done. It was because
of what was not being done. Jerry Falwell had this same judgement and I
always wanted to ask him, "Don't you have nine friends?'

Choir Loft
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by Choir Loft »

Bust Nak wrote:
richardP wrote: great deal more, in fact, than any sort of logic or restraint regarding the constitutional legality of keeping and bearing arms. 50% more people were killed last year from blunt & sharp objects than firearms according to FBI statistics. Even more, TWICE that's twice as many people were killed by fists, elbows and feet than firearms.
That is not accurate. 375% more people were killed from firearms than blunt & sharp objects than firearms according to FBI statistics, and 11 times as many people were killed by firearms than firsts, elbows and feet.

Your figures would only make sense if by firearms, you mean rifles only.
I don't know where you got your 375% figure, but you certainly didn't get it from a legitimate law enforcement agency.

According to the latest FBI statistics , nearly twice as many people are killed by weapons other than firearms.

The actual numbers change somewhat from year to year, yet the fact that more people are killed with non-firearm weapons remains constant.

I invite the reader to visit the FBI statistics site themselves. My opinion is backed by statistics tables 5, 12, 14 & 15. Several other tables were also consulted, but yielded limited specific information.

The numbers stand. Criminal assaults including deaths by non-firearm methods vastly outnumber use of firearms. The worst of all is hands, feet, elbows, etc. I haven't provided totals and percentages here, but if the reader wants to see these figures I suggest they do their own homework.

Bottom line here is that firearms are NOT the weapon of choice for killing one's fellow man - or woman as the case may be.

But if one wants to know the weapon MOST OFTEN used to murder people, it's the surgical instruments found in an abortion clinic. The hypocrisy of this entire debate is clouded by legal definitions of life.

In point of fact, more than 53 million babies have been murdered in our society. What's another twenty children more or less compared to that? If human life is to be valued and if that value statement is to hold water, then it must apply to all human life. The hypocrisy of standing in shock at the brutal deaths of twenty children while endorsing an even more brutal death of the innocent unborn is a prime example of a debauched society.

I've written it before and I'll write it again.

IF GOD DOESN'T JUDGE AMERICA, THEN HE OWES SODOM AND GOMORRAH AN APOLOGY!

but that's just me, hollering from the choir loft...
R.I.P. AMERICAN REPUBLIC
[June 21, 1788 - October 26, 2001]

- Here lies Liberty -
Born in the spring,
died in the fall.
Stabbed in the back,
forsaken by all.

Darias
Guru

Post #9

Post by Darias »

The very thought of WBC makes my stomach sick, however, being a libertarian I value the right to free speech more than I hate these guys.

As long as they are protesting far enough away from the funeral as not to trespass or cause emotional distress, they can. I also hope that people show up to shield the families.

Haven

Post #10

Post by Haven »

The Westboro Baptist Church is perhaps the strongest argument for repealing the first amendment. I support free speech, too, but I think hate speech, bullying, and harassment speech should be illegal.