Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

Neatras
Guru

Scientific Discovery

Post #1

Post by Neatras »

News article

I'd like to see this discussed on this forum. Without holding me accountable for the language of my post, or for my excitement, I'd like to see how the rest of the forum reacts to a scientific break-through concerning a predicted model of an inflationary universe being ratified through extensive observation.

Oh, and 5 Sigma confidence is supposedly a scientific jargon for 'near-absolute certainty of reasonable results.'

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #2

Post by Divine Insight »

It's an amazing confirmation of the power of rational thought and scientific investigation.

I'm sure that Alan Guth is just as thrilled as a scientist can possibly be with this experimental confirmation of his theory of Inflation.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Goat »

It seems to be very good science, but , as always, it has to be confirmed by other sources. The work is out there, and I am sure is going to be published. The next step is confirmation of the observations by other people

These observations , if confirmed, not only strengthen the inflationary theory, but falsify such ideas as ekpyrotic universe that was made popular by Stienhouse for example.

I think what a lot of people don't understand is that there are several aspects of the "Big Bang Cosmology'. One is 'what happened'. These observations, if confirmed, will be a very strong piece of evidence for 'what happened'.

It is fantastic news, and it will certain narrow down the models that have been speculated on about 'why did it happen'.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

heavensgate
Apprentice

Re: Scientific Discovery

Post #4

Post by heavensgate »

[Replying to post 1 by Neatras]

I suggest a 'wait and see' approach. Like potatoes were cancer causing when I was a kid in the 60's, then they were alright, then they turned evil again?
There needs to be a deductive process to ensure there are no other potential causes before we get too excited.
Jim

Ooberman
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by Ooberman »

heavensgate wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Neatras]

I suggest a 'wait and see' approach. Like potatoes were cancer causing when I was a kid in the 60's, then they were alright, then they turned evil again?
There needs to be a deductive process to ensure there are no other potential causes before we get too excited.
Jim

We did wait and see. This is the confirmation we were waiting to see.
Thinking about God's opinions and thinking about your own opinions uses an identical thought process. - Tomas Rees

heavensgate
Apprentice

Post #6

Post by heavensgate »

Ooberman wrote:

Jim

I was referring to some of the chatter that is still in resistance to the Inflation model and Multiverse scenarios. Because gravitational waves have been found, is that the only possible cause, the inflationary model? There could be other interpretations of the data, and that is why we should wait till the discussion has been fully had.
Either way, its still a great finding and promises there will be much discussion and further investigation.
Jim

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by Goat »

heavensgate wrote:
Ooberman wrote:

Jim

I was referring to some of the chatter that is still in resistance to the Inflation model and Multiverse scenarios. Because gravitational waves have been found, is that the only possible cause, the inflationary model? There could be other interpretations of the data, and that is why we should wait till the discussion has been fully had.
Either way, its still a great finding and promises there will be much discussion and further investigation.
Jim
No, but it is the model that predicted this particular configuration. Other models will have to either be dis guarded or fiddled with. I don't know if gravity waves are the only explanation for the polarization too, but it IS as predicted for gravity waves. There should ALWAYS be resistance to the most popular model. That way it can get challenged over and over again.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

cl
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by cl »

Neatras wrote: News article

I'd like to see this discussed on this forum. Without holding me accountable for the language of my post, or for my excitement, I'd like to see how the rest of the forum reacts to a scientific break-through concerning a predicted model of an inflationary universe being ratified through extensive observation.

Oh, and 5 Sigma confidence is supposedly a scientific jargon for 'near-absolute certainty of reasonable results.'
The words 'predicted' and 'model' support a theory. Regardless of how well the 'model' stands examination, it is not written in stone. Personally, I appreciate the potato theory advanced above. Today it's good and tomorrow - not so much.

We live in a changing society. The only thing certain is change.

Then again, I'm not sure of that either........

heavensgate
Apprentice

Post #9

Post by heavensgate »

[Replying to post 8 by cl]

What has happened to this discussion dudes?
Has time become the arbiter of justice on this point? Has the science won and the evil Christians been vanquished?
Or perhaps, the wait and see aspect is kicking in.
Has anyone any new news either way? I haven't heard any? Maybe there may be a recantation published some time soon. I don't know, please keep me informed.
Your loving friend
HG

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #10

Post by Divine Insight »

heavensgate wrote: Has the science won and the evil Christians been vanquished?
Actually that's been the case for centuries. Although science was never at war with the evil Christians. It was always the evil Christians who thought that their superstitious mythology somehow warranted a war against reality. But then again, the evil Muslims were doing the same thing. I think the whole religious mythology of a jealous-God who demands to be the King of the universe was based on war mongering to begin with. That seems to have been the mentality borne of the Middle East. ;)

Everyone would turn out to be this jealous-God's "enemy" by default. ;)

Especially people like scientists who are interested in truth. Truth is taboo in these jealous-God mythologies. If these mythologies had their way we would still be believing that mental illness is caused by demonic possession, and that disease is God's way of punishing people for disobeying him. :roll:

So yeah, science defeated superstition centuries ago. All that exists today are superstitious people who don't realize that the war is decisively over. They don't seem to be willing to admit defeat.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]