lufthansa airlines

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

bluethread
Savant

lufthansa airlines

Post #1

Post by bluethread »

I hear in all of the screaming of the passengers and banging on the door by the Pilot, the copilot just sat there breathing calmly. What is more chilling, the plane going down or the apparent calmness of the copilot?

Ancient of Years
Guru

Re: lufthansa airlines

Post #2

Post by Ancient of Years »

bluethread wrote: I hear in all of the screaming of the passengers and banging on the door by the Pilot, the copilot just sat there breathing calmly. What is more chilling, the plane going down or the apparent calmness of the copilot?
It is not unusual for those with psychological or emotional difficulties to become quite calm when they make a decision that they perceive as the resolution of their difficulties. Programming a 'suicide' course that would take several minutes to reach its conclusion would also be easier to do emotionally speaking than switching off the auto-pilot and diving the aircraft. That he chose to take 149 other people with him sounds like it falls into the "I'll make you sorry" category and is not uncommon among suicides.
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.

William Blake

bluethread
Savant

Post #3

Post by bluethread »

Ancient of Years wrote: It is not unusual for those with psychological or emotional difficulties to become quite calm when they make a decision that they perceive as the resolution of their difficulties. Programming a 'suicide' course that would take several minutes to reach its conclusion would also be easier to do emotionally speaking than switching off the auto-pilot and diving the aircraft. That he chose to take 149 other people with him sounds like it falls into the "I'll make you sorry" category and is not uncommon among suicides.
That does not make it any less creepy. That said, the fact that they found a doctors letter saying that he was unfit to fly appears to import your view.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #4

Post by Divine Insight »

bluethread wrote: That does not make it any less creepy.
Creepy?

Do you think mental illness or emotional desperation is "creepy"?

How about birth defects? Are they creepy too?

What about cancer? Alzheimer's disease?

Do you think this was anymore creepy than any other natural occurring disasters or diseases?

If this event was creepy then life itself is creepy because, as unfortunate as it is, this is just yet another part of life.

Although, in some sense I do tend to agree with you. If there exists a God who could have healed this fellow and saved the lives of all the innocent people on this plane and failed to do so, that would indeed be quite creepy.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

bluethread
Savant

Post #5

Post by bluethread »

Divine Insight wrote:
bluethread wrote: That does not make it any less creepy.
Creepy?
Yes, it does make my skin creep to imagine someone calmly sitting there after programing a plane full of people to fly into a mountain.
Do you think mental illness or emotional desperation is "creepy"?
No, I find mental illness or emotional desperation in a position of great responsibility creepy.
How about birth defects? Are they creepy too?
No, they are disturbing. People calmly doing things that they know will cause birth defects is creepy.
What about cancer?

No, cancer and Alzheimer's disease are tragic, and I don't mean sad. I mean inevitable. If any of us lives long enough, we will contract one or the other.
Do you think this was anymore creepy than any other natural occurring disasters or diseases?
So, a mentally ill individual flying a plane into the side of a mountain is a natural occurring disaster or disease?
If this event was creepy then life itself is creepy because, as unfortunate as it is, this is just yet another part of life.
It's only another part of life as long as the PC police keep us from taking these things into consideration when putting people in sensitive positions.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #6

Post by Divine Insight »

bluethread wrote: So, a mentally ill individual flying a plane into the side of a mountain is a natural occurring disaster or disease?
Yep. Unless you have an unnatural explanation for mental illness.

What would the unnatural explanation be? Demonic possession?

By the way, this incident wasn't the first one of this type.

[youtube][/youtube]
[center]Image
[/center]

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #7

Post by Divine Insight »

Here's one where the pilot is believed to have crashed the airplane to commit suicide:

[youtube][/youtube]
[center]Image
[/center]

bluethread
Savant

Post #8

Post by bluethread »

Divine Insight wrote:
bluethread wrote: So, a mentally ill individual flying a plane into the side of a mountain is a natural occurring disaster or disease?
Yep. Unless you have an unnatural explanation for mental illness.

What would the unnatural explanation be? Demonic possession?

By the way, this incident wasn't the first one of this type.
No, I have an unnatural explanation for how a mentally ill individual get's left alone in a jetliner cockpit. The lack of proper personnel procedures. There should always be two people in the cockpit. I think you are doing your best to make this about compassion. It's not, it's about bad management.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #9

Post by Divine Insight »

bluethread wrote: No, I have an unnatural explanation for how a mentally ill individual get's left alone in a jetliner cockpit. The lack of proper personnel procedures. There should always be two people in the cockpit. I think you are doing your best to make this about compassion. It's not, it's about bad management.
So are you saying that bad management is "creepy"?
[center]Image
[/center]

bluethread
Savant

Post #10

Post by bluethread »

Divine Insight wrote:
bluethread wrote: No, I have an unnatural explanation for how a mentally ill individual get's left alone in a jetliner cockpit. The lack of proper personnel procedures. There should always be two people in the cockpit. I think you are doing your best to make this about compassion. It's not, it's about bad management.
So are you saying that bad management is "creepy"?
No, bad management makes a creepy situation occur. A person who sits calmly and doesn't bother anyone else is not creepy. A person sitting calmly in flying a plane into a mountain is creepy. No matter what you say, I am not going to let you shame me into saying that one should not call that situation creepy, just because someone is mentally ill.