Does Marriage Equality mean Polygamy?

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

bluethread
Savant

Does Marriage Equality mean Polygamy?

Post #1

Post by bluethread »

I know that it is uncivil to equate homosexuality and polygamy on this site. However, a man in Montana believes that he can remarry his ex-wife without divorcing his current one, based on the "marriage equality" decision of the SCOTUS. So, as best you can given that constraint, do you think that "marriage equality" includes polygamy, why or why not, and what do you think are his chances in court.

Wootah
Savant

Post #11

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 10 by Haven]

Polygamy benefits the wealthy in a way that monogamy does not. One of the reasons Islam has their virgins in paradise was because it was so hard for the average poor man to get a wife back in the day.

Polygamy is anti love - you can't honestly say you love someone when having sex with someone else.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

bluethread
Savant

Post #12

Post by bluethread »

Wootah wrote: [Replying to post 10 by Haven]

Polygamy benefits the wealthy in a way that monogamy does not. One of the reasons Islam has their virgins in paradise was because it was so hard for the average poor man to get a wife back in the day.

Polygamy is anti love - you can't honestly say you love someone when having sex with someone else.
That's only if you are a hedonistic romanticist. I love my children and have sex with someone else. I love my neighbor and do not have sex with him. In fact, having sex with someone else and not him is an example of one of the ways I love him.

Papa Zoom

Post #13

Post by Papa Zoom »

Haven wrote: Thank you for posting this in a civil way. :)
[color=indigo]Papa Zoom[/color] wrote: [Replying to post 2 by Haven]

Greetings group. I think the door is now open to any consenting adult marriage configuration:

"Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor drew the same conclusion previously when discussing Proposition 8 in Hollingsworth v. Perry. She questioned attorney Theodore B. Olson's argument for gay marriage, saying it included no restrictions.

"If you say that marriage is a fundamental right, what state restrictions could ever exist," Sotomayor asked."

http://www.christianpost.com/news/polyg ... amy-98954/

There are probably differences of opinion on the matter but it seems clear to me that polygamy is not officially on the table and will be legal shortly.
What is the problem with any marriage of consenting adults? Honestly I don't care one way or another if polygamy between consenting adults is legalized; I know some polyamorous people who would be happy with that.

I should have said, There are probably differences of opinion on the matter but it seems clear to me that polygamy is now officially on the table and will be legal shortly. I wrote "not" but meant to say now.

I think the problem for many is that the ruling has the affect of redefining marriage. There are lots of opinions on both sides of the issue I know. It's an emotional issue to say the least. My own thoughts include the knowledge that ideas have consequences and I'm not sure all consequences will be considered good for society. The sky won't fall, but our culture with respect to marriage will continue to change (in attitudes) and I don't see that as a good thing.

Wootah
Savant

Post #14

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 12 by bluethread]

What is a hedonistic romanticist? I didn't understand anything else either.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

bluethread
Savant

Post #15

Post by bluethread »

Wootah wrote: [Replying to post 12 by bluethread]

What is a hedonistic romanticist? I didn't understand anything else either.
A hedonist is one who views things in relation to his physical and emotional pleasure. A romanticist views the world based on an idealized version of love. Therefore, a hedonistic romanticist is one who views the world based on a version of love that idealizes it as physical and emotional pleasure. To your point, sex is to a great extent an activity related to physical and emotional pleasure. Therefore, if physical and emotional pleasure are the ideal definitions of love, you are correct, one can only love someone with whom one is sharing physical and emotional pleasure. However, if love is more and/or different from that, it is possible to simultaneously love one person, while sharing physical and emotional pleasure with another.

Wootah
Savant

Post #16

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 15 by bluethread]

Love is also a promise. When you are old and the joy of the body diminished the faithfulness you brought to the relationship will affect the level of love you shared.

You know, one of the reasons I switched from atheism to Christianity is that I was tired of the emotional violence inherent in unfaithfulness. People totally underestimate the damage they do to themselves in their dalliances. One practical example of this is that there are whole periods (years) of my life which I cannot share with my wife because they were spent with not my wife.

Strider324
Banned
Banned

Post #17

Post by Strider324 »

Wootah wrote:
Huh?? So sex = love? I can't love my children or relatives or anyone other than someone I'm having sex with? That sounds absurd.
"Do Good for Good is Good to do. Spurn Bribe of Heaven and Threat of Hell"
- The Kasidah of Haji abdu al-Yezdi

Wootah
Savant

Post #18

Post by Wootah »

Strider324 wrote:
Wootah wrote:
Huh?? So sex = love? I can't love my children or relatives or anyone other than someone I'm having sex with? That sounds absurd.
I find it hard to know if I really have to reply to that.

Youkilledkenny
Sage

Re: Does Marriage Equality mean Polygamy?

Post #19

Post by Youkilledkenny »

bluethread wrote: I know that it is uncivil to equate homosexuality and polygamy on this site. However, a man in Montana believes that he can remarry his ex-wife without divorcing his current one, based on the "marriage equality" decision of the SCOTUS. So, as best you can given that constraint, do you think that "marriage equality" includes polygamy, why or why not, and what do you think are his chances in court.
Don't care much about his court chances to be honest.
Does it include polygamy? Not that I can tell because polygamy isn't the same as marriage equality as it stands currently. Thinking so seems rather silly to me - or hopeful depending on whom you're referring to I guess. ;)

I find it slightly funny how people think that because gay marriage is now legal in the USA ('bout time) that this automatically means EVERYTHING is good to go:
bestiality
polygamy
under age marriage
The whole slippery slope argument is so trite it's almost campy anymore.
People are funny that's for sure

Robert H
Student

Re: Does Marriage Equality mean Polygamy?

Post #20

Post by Robert H »

[Replying to post 1 by bluethread]

Yes, marriage equality should allow polygamy. Think about a bisexual person that truly believes to be happy, they must have a husband and a wife. According to our laws, no matter how gross or wrong people think that sexual desire is, who are we to deny them their happiness.

On another note, of course polygamy brings up the Mormons who were and are still highly persecuted for it. Our government made polygamy a felony simply to persecute that religious sect. See, they gays could actually marry, it just would not be recognized by the state. The Mormons however were incarcerated and had their property seized by the government. How terribly wrong is that! They believe God said they should have plural marriage, so who are we to tell them that that is gross and wrong in our western culture, though normal and right in other cultures. Horrible, terrible persecution. They need to be redressed for those crimes of the government.

According to the Bible, marriage is no where defined. We can look at the stories of what people did, but in there we find one man and one woman, we also find polygamy- the whole blessed House of Israel is based off Jacob and his 4 wives. So if you believe the Bible, you believe at the very least that God does not condemn plural marriage.

However, our courts are corrupt and will continue to persecute the people.