Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

Miles
Savant

Kim Davis’ May Be Headed Back To Jail

Post #1

Post by Miles »

One can only hope. Anyway . . . . .

"Rowan County Clerk Kim Davis may have breached a federal court order when she heavily modified marriage licenses to remove her name, an attorney for one of Davis’ deputies warns in a filing Friday.

Davis, the elected county clerk who believes same-sex marriage is a sin, spent five days in jail for refusing to obey a federal judge’s order that she issue the licenses to same-sex couples.

Deputy Clerk Brian Mason began providing the forms to couples earlier this month while Davis remained in jail, and he has continued to give them out following her release.

U.S. District Judge David Bunning warned Davis not to interfere with deputies when he released her from custody, but she altered the marraige licenses in several places when she returned to work the following week.

The changes removed any mention of Davis’ name or her office, and the form now states that it was issued pursuant to a federal court order rather than the county clerk."

source

enviousintheeverafter
Sage

Re: Kim Davis’ May Be Headed Back To Jail

Post #2

Post by enviousintheeverafter »

Miles wrote: One can only hope.
Indeed, this woman is an embarrassment.

help3434
Guru

Post #3

Post by help3434 »

[Replying to post 1 by Miles]

Can't this lady just quit her position already? Freedom of religion doesn't mean you get to disrupt the functions of the state because you don't like what it is doing. That is dominionism.

Miles
Savant

Post #4

Post by Miles »

help3434 wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Miles]

Can't this lady just quit her position already? Freedom of religion doesn't mean you get to disrupt the functions of the state because you don't like what it is doing. That is dominionism.
With the median income in Rowan county at $38,976, and she getting an $80,000 a year salary I don't think she's going to quit.

Hamsaka
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Hamsaka »

[Replying to post 1 by Miles]

Here's a snapshot of the altered form:

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #6

Post by Bust Nak »

[Replying to post 5 by Hamsaka]

The least she could do was print out a new batch properly edited. Just striking the old words out with XXXXXX is plain aggressive defiance; and what's with changing "deputy clerk" to "notary public"? Davis was explicitly ordered not to interfere with her staff.

jgh7

Post #7

Post by jgh7 »

Well, to play devil's advocate, did she lie at all in anything she altered, or did she alter it to make it more truthful? Is her altering of it actually illegal? It says she was warned, but does that warning have any legal backing to it?

Miles
Savant

Post #8

Post by Miles »

jgh7 wrote: Well, to play devil's advocate, did she lie at all in anything she altered, or did she alter it to make it more truthful?
She altered it so she could conform to her religious beliefs.
Is her altering of it actually illegal?

That's to be seen, but my guess is, yes.
It says she was warned, but does that warning have any legal backing to it?
Yup. The power of the court.

Youkilledkenny
Sage

Post #9

Post by Youkilledkenny »

[Replying to Miles]

I hear part of a story on the radio yesterday that there's another lady in a high school or college that refuses to use an electronic device in her class that allows a deaf student to hear what she's saying based on 'it goes against my [her] religious belief'!
From what I understand, the local religous leaders are like: "Um...what?!? That has nothing to do with our faith."
Seems in America, this is a new movement - much like 'Black Lives Matter'
Sad really

Miles
Savant

Post #10

Post by Miles »

Youkilledkenny wrote: [Replying to Miles]

I hear part of a story on the radio yesterday that there's another lady in a high school or college that refuses to use an electronic device in her class that allows a deaf student to hear what she's saying based on 'it goes against my [her] religious belief'!
From what I understand, the local religous leaders are like: "Um...what?!? That has nothing to do with our faith."
Seems in America, this is a new movement - much like 'Black Lives Matter'
Sad really
"A student at Memorial University in Newfoundland who is hard of hearing is considering filing a human rights complaint after one of his professors allegedly refused to wear a sound-transmitting device because it goes against her faith.

William Sears, a third-year history major, said he’d never encountered a professor who was unwilling to accommodate his hearing impairment until he enrolled in Ranee Panjabi’s History of Espionage course. According to Sears, the professor cited religious reasons for not wearing the device.

“What she is claiming as religious grounds is ultimately a choice,� Sears said Thursday. “I cannot change my physical disability. With all the power in the world, I cannot make myself not hard of hearing.�

The same professor made headlines in 1996 when another student lodged a similar complaint against her.
"
source