Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

Piper Plexed
Site Supporter

Portland Archdiocese files for Bankruptcy

Post #1

Post by Piper Plexed »

Portland Archdiocese files for bankruptcy
Archdiocese of Portland, Ore., filed for bankruptcy Tuesday, the first U.S. archdiocese to seek federal protection from multimillion-dollar settlements in the clergy sexual abuse scandal.

The archdiocese filed for Chapter 11 reorganization just moments before the opening of a civil trial by two plaintiffs seeking more than $155 million, charging they were abused by the Rev. Maurice Grammond, accused of molesting more than 50 boys in the 1980s. Grammond died in 2002.

Portland Archbishop John G. Vlazny posted an online letter to western Oregon's 356,037 Catholics Tuesday spelling out his reasons for filing and his reassurances that he is committed to helping heal victims of abuse. He cited $21 million paid on more than 100 claims in the past four years.

"This is not an effort to avoid responsibility," he wrote. "This action offers the best possibility for the Archdiocese: to resolve fairly all pending claims, to manage a difficult financial situation and to preserve the ability of the Archdiocese to fulfill its mission."

But "the justice question is not that simple or straightforward," says Mark Chopko, general counsel for the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, because the line of creditors is not finite. It often takes decades for a victim of childhood sexual abuse to step forward.
Do you believe this is in the best interests of all involved Church, Congregants and victims or
do you believe this is in the best interests of the Church alone?

How far should the responsibility for abuse reach, Regional, State, Country or the World Wide Catholic Church?
*"I think, therefore I am" (Cogito, ergo sum)-Descartes
** I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that ...

fried beef sandwich
Student

Post #11

Post by fried beef sandwich »

I've got to stop skimming and read through more carefully. My apologies.

Piper Plexed
Site Supporter

Re: Portland Archdiocese files for Bankruptcy

Post #12

Post by Piper Plexed »

Do you believe this is in the best interests of all involved Church, Congregants and victims or do you believe this is in the best interests of the Church alone?

How far should the responsibility for abuse reach, Regional, State, Country or the World Wide Catholic Church?
I find this move to localize monetary damages to regional dioceses, an obvious attempt to protect the bottom line of the Roman Catholic Church as a Global entity. If I were ignorant enough to believe that Rome and the Pope has nothing to say about what the many dioceses do or preach then I might believe them, though my impression of the Roman Catholic Church has always been that the Pope and Rome is the Ultimate authority of all issues of faith and all modes of practice of the faith. This cowardly attempt to minimize and use legal loopholes to avoid proper and due compensation to the victims appalls me and if I were a Roman Catholic I would be hitting the road just about now. To me this undermines exactly what they claim to teach and reduces the organization to no better than a corrupt corporation, SHAME ON THEM!
*"I think, therefore I am" (Cogito, ergo sum)-Descartes
** I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that ...

Dilettante
Sage

Post #13

Post by Dilettante »

Here's anoher view on the issue of child abuse by Catholic priests:

http://www.secularhumanism.org/library/ ... h_22_3.htm

This is an interesting article related with the general topic of this thread. A secular humanist reminds us that some priests have been falsely accused, so he urges caution and restraint. Not that he exonerates the Church, of course, since many other cases have been all too real and painful, but it's good to strike a balance and see things in perspective. If we fail to do so, we may run the risk of a new "witch hunt"(or "priest hunt" like those which took place in Mexico in the 1920s and in Spain in the 1930s).