"Under God..."

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

Should we change the Pledge of Allegiance...again?

yes
58%
no
42%

Total votes: 33

logic
Student

"Under God..."

Post #1

Post by logic »

What do you think???

Columbus
Student

Post #41

Post by Columbus »

What is really ironic about the acrimonious debate about the pledge is that it was written as a unifying declaration. Inserting the words "under God" was specifically meant to destroy that unifying power. It was meant to divide the nation into the godless commies and the good people. Today it just plain divides people. If it isn't going to unite people, why bother with it at all?

Tom

JonnyH

Post #42

Post by JonnyH »

Well, there's no rule that says you have to say it. So if you don't believe in God, just don't say anything while other guys go "Under God."

Similar to testifying in a court,
A person must be allowed to make an affirmation instead of taking an oath, by substituting the word "affirm" for the word "swear" and substituting the phrase "under the pains and penalties of perjury" for the phrase "so help you God."
Therefore, if you don't want to say "under god" you don't have to, it is there to allow those want to say it, can.

Confused
Site Supporter

Re: "Under God..."

Post #43

Post by Confused »

logic wrote:What do you think???
I know that I am just confused and won't say God exists or doesn't yet. But my way of seeing this is that if a person doesn't want to include the word God in it, they can personally edit it out. But I think if a person want to, they should have the same freedome to say it.
What we do for ourselves dies with us,
What we do for others and the world remains
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one persons definition of your life; define yourself.

-Harvey Fierstein