Civil War memorials remains unrepentant:

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

JP Cusick
Guru

Civil War memorials remains unrepentant:

Post #1

Post by JP Cusick »

:arrow: The thing is that it was wrong to create the Civil War monuments for the traitors in the first place, and it was double wrong to create memorials to the rebellion in the second place as the vast majority of monuments date to between 1895 and World War I, and then the third wave of racist memorials came during the civil rights era in the early 1960s.

As such tearing the monuments of bigotry down is long over due. IMO.

My view is based on Godly repentance ~ that the Civil War was an ignorant and immoral aggression by the south in support for a sinful and inhuman cause.

As such to remove those hateful and ugly monuments now is not a true act of repentance because those who are guilty (all white Americans) are not repenting.

The symbols are being removed based on a demand for justice and truth from those who are not guilty, and it is being done in direct defiance of the sinful people who fail to repent.

President Trump is attempting to stand in the middle of each side, which appears to be an insane stance.

QUESTIONS: ..... What is right? ...... What is wrong? ..... and why?
SIGNATURE:

An unorthodox Theist & a heretic Christian:

JP Cusick
Guru

Re: Civil War memorials remains unrepentant:

Post #2

Post by JP Cusick »

JP Cusick wrote: My view is based on Godly repentance ~ that the Civil War was an ignorant and immoral aggression by the south in support for a sinful and inhuman cause.
The tribe of Manasseh was very large as it was one of the two birthright nation and it split into 2 parts, see Joshua 22:7, as half of Manasseh was on the east of the Jordan river and the other "half tribe" was on the western side of the Jordan. See picture HERE.

In Joshua 22 it goes on to tell that there was almost a war (a civil war) between the two half sides of Manasseh because the one side was thought to have had sinned against the Father God, but in this case the sins were mistaken and the hostilities thereby never entered into warfare.

But in the USA that happened differently as the southern half of the USA (the half tribe of Manasseh) really did commit an abomination of the African slavery and the violent rebellion by the south so this time there was warfare.

The southern States have always viewed the south as a separate part of the USA and that perception goes far back into Biblical times.

As such the south never repented, and it has been under the brute force of the law to keep the white inhabitants in civil restraint.
SIGNATURE:

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by McCulloch »

[Replying to post 1 by JP Cusick]

I agree. Germany does not have statues commemorating Romel.

We have a similar issue in Canada. There is a statue memorializeing Edward Cornwallis, a governor of Nova Scotia, who founded Halifax in 1749. He issued an order offering a bounty to anyone who killed a person of Mi'kmaq descent. People protest lives lost because of European colonization.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

JP Cusick
Guru

Post #4

Post by JP Cusick »

McCulloch wrote: I agree. Germany does not have statues commemorating Romel.

We have a similar issue in Canada. There is a statue memorializeing Edward Cornwallis, a governor of Nova Scotia, who founded Halifax in 1749. He issued an order offering a bounty to anyone who killed a person of Mi'kmaq descent. People protest lives lost because of European colonization.
In 1949, the new West German government legally banned Nazi symbols and language, as well as banning any associated propaganda.

The thing is though that the USA as the occupation force required Germany to ban all things Nazi.

We the USA did not do that for our own civil war but we made that happen in Germany.

The USA also banned the Baath Party in Iraq after we ousted Saddam Hussein.

I say we still need to ban all the rebel symbols and the civil war propaganda here - and the 1st Amendment be damned.

Abe Lincoln said - to have "malice toward none" and so we did as Lincoln said for 150 years and now enough is enough of that.
SIGNATURE:

KenRU
Guru

Post #5

Post by KenRU »

[Replying to post 1 by JP Cusick]

Statues or monuments that depict confederate soldiers or heroes should, imo (and with some exceptions) be placed in museums and not places of honor.

We should not honor a dishonorable cause. And that is just what monuments and statues do. They honor the person and their ideals.

To remember history, we go to a museum.

Seems a simple concept to me.

-all the best
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." -Steven Weinberg

JP Cusick
Guru

Post #6

Post by JP Cusick »

JP Cusick wrote: As such tearing the monuments of bigotry down is long over due. IMO.
Here in my own hometown the elected County Commissioners just came out in support of the rebel monuments in this area, and the local Newspaper had a harsh Editorial in support of the rebel memorials, and so I do not know how to respond? or not respond?

I could send a letter to the paper and hope my letter would get published?

It is an embarrassment to me that my hometown is so bigoted and ignorant.

I wonder if God is as perplexed by it as I am?
SIGNATURE:

JP Cusick
Guru

Post #7

Post by JP Cusick »

JP Cusick wrote: the rebel monuments

After a lot of thought - I now see that the fools who cling to the ignorant "southern cause" are in fact burying any hope of it ever really happening.

There is reason to believe that if the southern States in the first place (before 1865 civil war) had tried to legally secede from the Union (the USA) as like taking it to the US Congress or taking the argument to the US Supreme Court then the south might have been able to legally secede without ever firing a shot.

But ever after the Civil War the ignorant southern cause is completely based on the racist bigotry and violent intentions - and the USA is never going to let them secede based on such a stance.

As such the continuous clinging to the Civil War memorials makes it certain that the south will never ever be allowed to ever do their ignorance ever again, and so they just keep digging their own grave deeper and deeper.

And now if any modern southern Politician were to ever get the serious notion to legally secede - then these very same rebel sympathizers of today will keep any such effort down in the dust where it belongs.

Irony or ironies - are the fools who cling to their own ignorance.
SIGNATURE:

KenRU
Guru

Post #8

Post by KenRU »

JP Cusick wrote:
JP Cusick wrote: As such tearing the monuments of bigotry down is long over due. IMO.
Here in my own hometown the elected County Commissioners just came out in support of the rebel monuments in this area, and the local Newspaper had a harsh Editorial in support of the rebel memorials,
In NJ the Letters To The Editor are mixed, some support the monuments, some don’t. I find it perplexing that anyone would object to them being moved to a museum.
and so I do not know how to respond?
With common sense. Objecting to honoring people who fought for a barbaric cause is not unreasonable. At a minimum, having a board review the monuments for consideration of moving them to a museum is practical and reasonable.
or not respond?

I can see in some communities that objecting to their removal would be the equivalent of social suicide. So, I can understand your reluctance if that is the case.
I could send a letter to the paper and hope my letter would get published?
I would find that commendable.
It is an embarrassment to me that my hometown is so bigoted and ignorant.
The only way, imo, to combat ignorance is through education and discussion. Though, sometimes (even many times) it may seem futile. But also, imo, while the adults may not be listening, the kids usually are.
Well, the love fest is over, lol. God can’t be listening, since he is an imaginary being : )

-all the best!
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." -Steven Weinberg

Monta
Guru

Post #9

Post by Monta »

[Replying to post 8 by KenRU]

"In NJ the Letters To The Editor are mixed, some support the monuments, some don’t. I find it perplexing that anyone would object to them being moved to a museum"

Russia has take a different approach.
Leave them where they are so people keep history alive.

Museums are good place for them but some people go to museum once in a lifetime.

JP Cusick
Guru

Post #10

Post by JP Cusick »

KenRU wrote: I find it perplexing that anyone would object to them being moved to a museum.
I say that the nasty rebel monuments need to be beaten into dust or into scrap metal and disposed thereof.

The idea of putting the nasty relics into any museum is still giving then a place of honor which they do not deserve.

The truth about the Civil War is never going to be forgotten, and we do not need any kind of memorial of what ignorance and brutality the southern States did to our Country and did to the African people.

They will never be so lucky as to the world ever forgetting.
SIGNATURE: