Civil War memorials remains unrepentant:

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

JP Cusick
Guru

Civil War memorials remains unrepentant:

Post #1

Post by JP Cusick »

:arrow: The thing is that it was wrong to create the Civil War monuments for the traitors in the first place, and it was double wrong to create memorials to the rebellion in the second place as the vast majority of monuments date to between 1895 and World War I, and then the third wave of racist memorials came during the civil rights era in the early 1960s.

As such tearing the monuments of bigotry down is long over due. IMO.

My view is based on Godly repentance ~ that the Civil War was an ignorant and immoral aggression by the south in support for a sinful and inhuman cause.

As such to remove those hateful and ugly monuments now is not a true act of repentance because those who are guilty (all white Americans) are not repenting.

The symbols are being removed based on a demand for justice and truth from those who are not guilty, and it is being done in direct defiance of the sinful people who fail to repent.

President Trump is attempting to stand in the middle of each side, which appears to be an insane stance.

QUESTIONS: ..... What is right? ...... What is wrong? ..... and why?
SIGNATURE:

An unorthodox Theist & a heretic Christian:

KenRU
Guru

Re: Civil War memorials remains unrepentant:

Post #11

Post by KenRU »

Monta wrote: [Replying to post 8 by KenRU]

"In NJ the Letters To The Editor are mixed, some support the monuments, some don’t. I find it perplexing that anyone would object to them being moved to a museum"

Russia has take a different approach.
Leave them where they are so people keep history alive.

Museums are good place for them but some people go to museum once in a lifetime.
Monuments by definition honor what is depicted. Many confederate statues/etc do not deserve to be honored. The logical recourse to preserve history is to place them in a museum.

-all the best
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." -Steven Weinberg

KenRU
Guru

Post #12

Post by KenRU »

JP Cusick wrote:
KenRU wrote: I find it perplexing that anyone would object to them being moved to a museum.
I say that the nasty rebel monuments need to be beaten into dust or into scrap metal and disposed thereof.
Like book burning? History is replete with good and bad events. Those who don't learn from it are doomed to repeat it.

We should preserve, learn and teach. That does not mean honor.
The idea of putting the nasty relics into any museum is still giving then a place of honor which they do not deserve.
No, it is not. Museums teach both the good and bad about our history.
The truth about the Civil War is never going to be forgotten, and we do not need any kind of memorial of what ignorance and brutality the southern States did to our Country and did to the African people.
I agree we do not need a memorial. A museum is not a memorial.
They will never be so lucky as to the world ever forgetting.
As well the world shouldn't.
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." -Steven Weinberg

JP Cusick
Guru

Post #13

Post by JP Cusick »

KenRU wrote: Those who don't learn from it are doomed to repeat it.
My view is that we need to destroy every aspect of the southern traitors and racist, and even if we do then still nobody is ever going to forget those scoundrels.

I would even say to dig up the old graves of the rebels and burn their remains and then use the pit as a garbage dump over their ashes.

The Union made a mistake in 1865 at Appomattox by accepting the surrender, and instead the Union needed to have hunted down every one of the scoundrels and kill them all.

It was a mistake to let them go - and we still today need to clean out the same old vermin as before.
SIGNATURE:

An unorthodox Theist & a heretic Christian:

KenRU
Guru

Post #14

Post by KenRU »

JP Cusick wrote:
KenRU wrote: Those who don't learn from it are doomed to repeat it.
My view is that we need to destroy every aspect of the southern traitors and racist, and even if we do then still nobody is ever going to forget those scoundrels.

I would even say to dig up the old graves of the rebels and burn their remains and then use the pit as a garbage dump over their ashes.

The Union made a mistake in 1865 at Appomattox by accepting the surrender, and instead the Union needed to have hunted down every one of the scoundrels and kill them all.

It was a mistake to let them go - and we still today need to clean out the same old vermin as before.
Our agreement parts ways here.

-all the best