Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

sue

Lioness Kills Man

Post #1

Post by sue »

Lioness in zoo kills man who invoked God

Mon Jun 5, 8:31 AM ET

KIEV (Reuters) - A man shouting that God would keep him safe was mauled to death by a lioness in Kiev zoo after he crept into the animal's enclosure, a zoo official said on Monday.

"The man shouted 'God will save me, if he exists', lowered himself by a rope into the enclosure, took his shoes off and went up to the lions," the official said.

"A lioness went straight for him, knocked him down and severed his carotid artery."

The incident, Sunday evening when the zoo was packed with visitors, was the first of its kind at the attraction. Lions and tigers are kept in an "animal island" protected by thick concrete blocks.
Source

My question is simple: why did the lion kill the man?

Galphanore
Site Supporter

Post #21

Post by Galphanore »

Caligar wrote:
McCulloch wrote:
McCulloch wrote:Just how does one distinguish between acts of faith and acts of insanity?
Caligar wrote:I think thats covered in the "Though shalt not test the lord thy God" entry in the bible. If you jump into a bunch of lions and say "God will save me", I think thats firmly withing the realm of "testing" God.
And if you think that God told you to kill someone and you go ahead and try, that is called faith or insanity?
It depends. If they are hearing voices in there head telling them to kill someone, they are crazy. If someone under the guise of God tricks them into doing it, then they where tricked, and being foolish isn't a mental disorder.
And how do you tell the difference between the two?
  • You are free to do what you want, but you are not free to want what you want.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #22

Post by McCulloch »

Caligar wrote:
McCulloch wrote:
McCulloch wrote:Just how does one distinguish between acts of faith and acts of insanity?
Caligar wrote:I think thats covered in the "Though shalt not test the lord thy God" entry in the bible. If you jump into a bunch of lions and say "God will save me", I think thats firmly withing the realm of "testing" God.
And if you think that God told you to kill someone and you go ahead and try, that is called faith or insanity?
It depends. If they are hearing voices in there head telling them to kill someone, they are crazy. If someone under the guise of God tricks them into doing it, then they where tricked, and being foolish isn't a mental disorder.
Which was it for Abraham?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Confused
Site Supporter

Re: Lioness Kills Man

Post #23

Post by Confused »

sue wrote:
Lioness in zoo kills man who invoked God

Mon Jun 5, 8:31 AM ET

KIEV (Reuters) - A man shouting that God would keep him safe was mauled to death by a lioness in Kiev zoo after he crept into the animal's enclosure, a zoo official said on Monday.

"The man shouted 'God will save me, if he exists', lowered himself by a rope into the enclosure, took his shoes off and went up to the lions," the official said.

"A lioness went straight for him, knocked him down and severed his carotid artery."

The incident, Sunday evening when the zoo was packed with visitors, was the first of its kind at the attraction. Lions and tigers are kept in an "animal island" protected by thick concrete blocks.
Source

My question is simple: why did the lion kill the man?
Before Christianity was made the "official religion" in Rome, many misfortunes were laid at Christians feet. They were placed in an area and torn apart by lions then. What in the world would make this person think God would intervene for him and not those who were "martyrs" for Chrisitanity. They didn't choose to die in the manner to which they were torn apart. This guy was an idiot, point blank.
What we do for ourselves dies with us,
What we do for others and the world remains
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one persons definition of your life; define yourself.

-Harvey Fierstein

Caligar
Student

Post #24

Post by Caligar »

Galphanore wrote:
Caligar wrote:
McCulloch wrote:
And how do you tell the difference between the two?
Its not a matter of telling the difference. You might not be able to, but the fact remains.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #25

Post by McCulloch »

Caligar wrote:It depends. If they are hearing voices in there head telling them to kill someone, they are crazy. If someone under the guise of God tricks them into doing it, then they where tricked, and being foolish isn't a mental disorder.

That is not distinguishing between faith and insanity. That is distinguishing between foolishness and insanity.
The question was, "Just how does one distinguish between acts of faith and acts of insanity?" and the example used was like Abraham, " if you think that God told you to kill someone and you go ahead and try, that is called faith or insanity?".
Gospel of John

Caligar
Student

Post #26

Post by Caligar »

McCulloch wrote:
Caligar wrote:It depends. If they are hearing voices in there head telling them to kill someone, they are crazy. If someone under the guise of God tricks them into doing it, then they where tricked, and being foolish isn't a mental disorder.

That is not distinguishing between faith and insanity. That is distinguishing between foolishness and insanity.
The question was, "Just how does one distinguish between acts of faith and acts of insanity?" and the example used was like Abraham, " if you think that God told you to kill someone and you go ahead and try, that is called faith or insanity?".
The second option includes faith. If God tells you to do something, he is doing so under the guise of God is he not?

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #27

Post by McCulloch »

Caligar wrote:The second option includes faith. If God tells you to do something, he is doing so under the guise of God is he not?
Are you saying that faith is foolishness?
Gospel of John

Caligar
Student

Post #28

Post by Caligar »

McCulloch wrote:
Caligar wrote:The second option includes faith. If God tells you to do something, he is doing so under the guise of God is he not?
Are you saying that faith is foolishness?
The context of the example was killing someone because God told you to. Yes, I believe that is foolish.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #29

Post by McCulloch »

McCulloch wrote:Are you saying that faith is foolishness?
Caligar wrote:The context of the example was killing someone because God told you to. Yes, I believe that is foolish.
Was it any more foolish for Abraham than for a modern person?
Gospel of John

PhilippianGirl

Post #30

Post by PhilippianGirl »

There was an incident exactly like this at a London zoo a few years ago. the young man who climbed into the Lions area did have schizophrenia.

His father used the tragedy to spark discussion about the lack of care provided by the national health service for the mentally ill. If God had a purpose in this at all, maybe that was it.

As for the question of why the lion killed these men: I would expect that fear over the sudden appearance of a strange human in it's territory was the first reason. I'm not saying that the lion couldn't sense mental illness, sometimes animals are very sensitive to "weakness" of any kind in their prey, but it's not exactly the same as picking out a crippled animal from a herd. The suddenness of the act makes me go with "fear" over "population control."